Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ACME 381 Prop for a 21ft wakesetter??

Poemoroe

I have a friend that has a spare prop he is willing to sell me. Its a ACME 381 four blade.

Should I cinsider this prop for my wakesetter? What kind of performance can I expect compared to the stock on im currently running?

I have a friend that has a spare prop he is willing to sell me. Its a ACME 381 four blade.

Should I cinsider this prop for my wakesetter? What kind of performance can I expect compared to the stock on im currently running?

Probably not. The 381 came stock with my 21 LSV and is a nice prop for a V-drive running no extra

ballast. But, for a wakesetter, which I'm assuming is going to be running with additional ballast,

I think you'll be disappointed.

What prop are you currently running?

with extra ballast, you'll want the 537 or 1235 depending on how much ballast you have. the 1235 is better suited for heavy weighted boats.

Can't add much more then the last 2 posts. The 381 would be stock if you have a 4 blade and the 537 would be the next step up. If you weighting you boat down with people and ballast then you would want to jump up too the 1235 or OJ 475.

Sorry, just realized that we have the same boat! As such, I wouldn't be surprised if your current prop

is the 381. If so, your friends prop would be fine as a backup, especially if the price is right. Could save

you a weekend some time if you ding your current prop.

I bought the ACME 537 during the group buy. It gives my boat more hole shot/lower-end power at the

expense of maybe 3 miles per hour on the top end. If you are using your boat primarily at wakeboarding

speeds, it's a nice upgrade, especially if you are running, or are planning to run, extra ballast for wake

enhancement.

If you are running predominantly at slalom speeds, however, you'll be taching about 400-500 rpms more

for the same speed and sucking down gas a little faster with the 537. Right now, we mostly slalom

ski, so when my 381 was repaired, it went back on the boat. Still have the 537 as my spare and

future upgrade if and when we get more into wakeboarding.

Edited by srab
  • 1 year later...
Sorry, just realized that we have the same boat! As such, I wouldn't be surprised if your current prop

is the 381. If so, your friends prop would be fine as a backup, especially if the price is right. Could save

you a weekend some time if you ding your current prop.

I bought the ACME 537 during the group buy. It gives my boat more hole shot/lower-end power at the

expense of maybe 3 miles per hour on the top end. If you are using your boat primarily at wakeboarding

speeds, it's a nice upgrade, especially if you are running, or are planning to run, extra ballast for wake

enhancement.

If you are running predominantly at slalom speeds, however, you'll be taching about 400-500 rpms more

for the same speed and sucking down gas a little faster with the 537. Right now, we mostly slalom

ski, so when my 381 was repaired, it went back on the boat. Still have the 537 as my spare and

future upgrade if and when we get more into wakeboarding.

I currently have the 4 blade

I have a post on here from some time back where I compared the 537 to 381 on my boat. Mine is a v-drive but on the Diamond hull so results may be different on the wake hull. But I will never go back to a 381 from the 537 unless it's to sell the boat. Better performance all around, and I lost very little top end (less than 1 mph if I remember right). Technically you will lose speed with the change in pitch, but my boat was able to spin the 537 faster to make up most of the speed loss. IE, WOT rpms are higher on the 537 then 381. That brings some of the speed back. And this is of course if you are even worried about that kind of thing. You just have to understand that in general, prop swaps are a trade-off. You will lose top to gain bottom, and vice versa. I'm not sure it's possible to have the best of both worlds.

I am going to hijack this post slightly - I have a 07 vRide and have both 537 and the 381 I am getting ready to send one in for rebuild and want to know what is the better prop for my boat. We mainly surf with quite a bit of ballast. Like I said I have one of each that need to be rebuilt, but am only going to do one right now - which would be the best for our application?

I am going to hijack this post slightly - I have a 07 vRide and have both 537 and the 381 I am getting ready to send one in for rebuild and want to know what is the better prop for my boat. We mainly surf with quite a bit of ballast. Like I said I have one of each that need to be rebuilt, but am only going to do one right now - which would be the best for our application?

you want one for low end. between the two compared, the 537 is the better choice, though i'm sure others will chime in to indicate which props are better than the 537. i'm not sure if the Acme 1235 will work for you, so someone else will have to clarify

you want one for low end. between the two compared, the 537 is the better choice, though i'm sure others will chime in to indicate which props are better than the 537. i'm not sure if the Acme 1235 will work for you, so someone else will have to clarify

Thanks for the reply - I have a spare 537 and a spare 381 so will probably send in the 537. I have a 381 on now and will replace it with the 537 when I get it back and have the 381 for a spare.

Thanks for the reply - I have a spare 537 and a spare 381 so will probably send in the 537. I have a 381 on now and will replace it with the 537 when I get it back and have the 381 for a spare.

You'll want to use the 537 between those two.