Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ATTN: Lake Granbury Resident

MARiley

i know one of you lives here.

my dad wants to get the hell out of california when he retires because there is no way in hell he and my mother will be able to live here on a fixed income in their current lifestyle.

i told my dad about it and he had some reservations about lakes stating some dry up. he made mention of lake of the pines in east texas because his buddy had one (quite a few years ago now) when he lived there and said this one would never dry up. i've kinda come to understand humidity in north texas isn't bad at all and it just gets atrocious east and south of the dfw area.

so i guess what i'm asking is, how incredible is this place? i looked on a realtor's website and bowsed properties and am still in awe at how a 3500 sq.ft. home with a huge dock and 3 car garage is still only 4-500k.

thanks.

Lake Granbury is probably the best constant level lake for the value. However, if I was vacation property, whereas lake is involved, I would choose Lake Travis, Lake Austin. The price is up, but no KA high.

i know one of you lives here.

my dad wants to get the hell out of california when he retires because there is no way in hell he and my mother will be able to live here on a fixed income in their current lifestyle.

i told my dad about it and he had some reservations about lakes stating some dry up. he made mention of lake of the pines in east texas because his buddy had one (quite a few years ago now) when he lived there and said this one would never dry up. i've kinda come to understand humidity in north texas isn't bad at all and it just gets atrocious east and south of the dfw area.

so i guess what i'm asking is, how incredible is this place? i looked on a realtor's website and bowsed properties and am still in awe at how a 3500 sq.ft. home with a huge dock and 3 car garage is still only 4-500k.

thanks.

There's a reason it is priced that way - it's a (relatively) long drive - except from the DFW area, where they have a lot of lakes - and its isolated Crazy.gif So if you like isolated, in the country, you will love it!!!!!

What is it exactly that he wants to know?

i'm just trying to sell him on it.

There's a reason it is priced that way - it's a (relatively) long drive - except from the DFW area, where they have a lot of lakes - and its isolated Crazy.gif So if you like isolated, in the country, you will love it!!!!!

i don't think he'll care. it's only an hour from his neice/my cousin in ft. worth and not too far from his brother's place on lake waco and if he can find a stream with trout in it, he'll be even happier.

I am in Gbury every weekend.

The lake is nice but there are some bad stumpy places. They lake is very large and fluctuates no more than a few feet. Brazos River Authority controls the lake and the docks.

As for gbury its self, it is a great place. Lots of old folks. It seems that they make-up reasons to have a parade and carnival at the downtown square.

As for gbury its self, it is a great place. Lots of old folks. It seems that they make-up reasons to have a parade and carnival at the downtown square.

Don't think he means y'all Ronnie Tease.gif

If you're going to visit let us know. WakeMD and I get to move into the boathouse at the end of July. Once the boat is tucked into it's new home I might even unpack the bed in that other building the wife made me build on the land attached to my boathouse! :)

Did I mention I have a boathouse? Clap.gif

If you're going to visit let us know. WakeMD and I get to move into the boathouse at the end of July. Once the boat is tucked into it's new home I might even unpack the bed in that other building the wife made me build on the land attached to my boathouse! :)

Did I mention I have a boathouse? Clap.gif

Thumbup.gif

The lake is nice but there are some bad stumpy places. They lake is very large and fluctuates no more than a few feet. Brazos River Authority controls the lake and the docks.

Actually the lake is very stumpy, especially on weekends. I wouldn't suggest anyone going to Granbury on the weekend because of that and plus all the old folks makes it bad mojo.

Crazy.gif

Actually the lake is very stumpy, especially on weekends. I wouldn't suggest anyone going to Granbury on the weekend because of that and plus all the old folks makes it bad mojo.

Crazy.gif

how do the stumps make it a bad place to go when it's crowded? and do all the old people get mad at all the whippersnapper hooligan wakeboaders and the racket coming from their boat stereos?

also

check out the water conditions

I know that a few years ago the lake was infected with golden algae

from the air, the lake looked like a golden pond

the algae killed alot of fish

it is said to have started down river at Whitney also

but the Brazos river authority started dumping pine trees into the water

the pines are believed to neutralize the algae and promote the fish population

it might not be a problem anymore...but worth doing the research

also

the river authority isn't allowing anymore docks on Whitney

and if you do have a dock, you can't increase its "footprint"

I would imagine Granbury is the same way

don't mean to scare you away from Texas....it's a great place!

but just want you to show up informed!

oh, i know. i love texas. i'm fulltime at unt.

i'm just trying to find a rad place for my dad to buy a house when he retires so i have an incredible place to visit.

There is no night life for sure, been there and tried it, unless you are into hog and heffer shows. They move them through slow and easy. Might also add that some of them there girls could be the starting line for the Dallas Cowgirls. I am by no means a small guy, but if I saw a girl in there wearing a shirt that stated " If I Had Balls They Would Be Bigger Than Yours" I would believe her fo sho. YEHAWWW Cowboy. Not saying it isn't a great little town I enjoyed the weekend I was there and prolly going back this weekend. Just for you College Boy, stay up in BigD.

Grant

also

check out the water conditions

I know that a few years ago the lake was infected with golden algae

from the air, the lake looked like a golden pond

the algae killed alot of fish

it is said to have started down river at Whitney also

but the Brazos river authority started dumping pine trees into the water

the pines are believed to neutralize the algae and promote the fish population

it might not be a problem anymore...but worth doing the research

also

the river authority isn't allowing anymore docks on Whitney

and if you do have a dock, you can't increase its "footprint"

I would imagine Granbury is the same way

don't mean to scare you away from Texas....it's a great place!

but just want you to show up informed!

Golden Algae is a natural occuring problem on most of the Brazos chain of lakes in the early spring.

The BRA is allowing docks on Granbury.

Crazy.gif

how do the stumps make it a bad place to go when it's crowded? and do all the old people get mad at all the whippersnapper hooligan wakeboaders and the racket coming from their boat stereos?

It was a Tease2.gif to Rson. The lake is just a part of the Brazos River with a dam on it. It's 32 miles long and 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide. It's much like the Brazos where the Secret Spot is. There were trees in the river valley before there was a lake and now they are underwater at the edge of some parts of the lake just as at the Secret Spot. The river twists & turns here so you can get smooth water on most any day except weekends. You have to get out early or late to get good water on Sat & Sun because of the crowds.

i know how ya guys feel. there is ALWAYS too many people on the water...unless it's the havasu sandbar.

it's still a few years off for him, but still. lake sounds like primo riding m-f.

thanks everybody.

Crazy.gif

It was a Tease2.gif to Rson. The lake is just a part of the Brazos River with a dam on it. It's 32 miles long and 1/4 to 1/2 mile wide. It's much like the Brazos where the Secret Spot is. There were trees in the river valley before there was a lake and now they are underwater at the edge of some parts of the lake just as at the Secret Spot. The river twists & turns here so you can get smooth water on most any day except weekends. You have to get out early or late to get good water on Sat & Sun because of the crowds.

OH my Eye....Granbury is a great place. We are there every weekend almost. We will be there for the fireworks...Ronnie you gonna brave the water?