Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Perfect Pass Upgrade

Has anyone upgraded the older 6.4 software to 6.5 and also the new multi-line guage from the older one. I was thinking of getting the newer guage and the upgrade chip but is it really as easy as it sounds using the existing control module? Will I basically have all the features and usage of the latest PP system? Would there be much difference between the older and newer system other than the ability to save names and speeds?

Also when the PP was installed it replaced the tach (if the boat even had one) so I was wondering will I have to do some additional wiring to get the tach on the new guage working or does it simply get a signal from the existing setup?

Here's a photo of the PP guage I currently have.

post-1857-1182739153_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Arkid
Has anyone upgraded the older 6.4 software to 6.5 and also the new multi-line guage from the older one. I was thinking of getting the newer guage and the upgrade chip but is it really as easy as it sounds using the existing control module? Will I basically have all the features and usage of the latest PP system? Would there be much difference between the older and newer system other than the ability to save names and speeds?

Also when the PP was installed it replaced the tach (if the boat even had one) so I was wondering will I have to do some additional wiring to get the tach on the new guage working or does it simply get a signal from the existing setup?

Here's a photo of the PP guage I currently have.

post-1857-1182739153_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

I made the upgrade earlier this year. Pretty close to plug and play to complete the upgrade...questionable whether the new user interface is any better / easier than the old one. Pull is identical from the previous version (went from 6.5 to 6.5ng).

Had my old gauge not taken a dump I probably wouldn't have made the switch.

It's a very simple project. Took me about 30 mins. You just replace the dash gauge and the chip, and the rest stays the same (assuming you already have the digital pro version).

It's a very simple project. Took me about 30 mins. You just replace the dash gauge and the chip, and the rest stays the same (assuming you already have the digital pro version).

I'm not sure if I have digital pro, how do you check? I remember when it comes on it says "ver 6.4". I wanted to take advantage of the tach on the new guage as I don't have one at all but is it worth $265 just for that?

• 2 weeks later...

So I upgraded my PP from the old single line display to the 3 Line display and also the new 6.5NG software. Real easy install only took a few minutes with the hardest part cutting the zipties that ran along the original wiring. Also I now have a tach since my old anaolg one was removed to fit the original PP gauge. Biggrin.gif

Mark at Perfect Pass was very helpful too. He even gave me his cell phone # incase I had problems with the install after office hours. I've never seen customer service like that anywhere. Notworthy.gif

post-1857-1183519830_thumb.jpg

It seems that the old PP was off by about 5mph too fast. I assumed that the old PP was actually correct and my analog was off by 5mph too slow. After the upgrade my analog and PP were in perfect sync and I also confirmed their calibration with a GPS.

I'm glad I did the upgrade and would recommend it to anyone thinking about it.