Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anchors

malcontent

The lake I use is man-made. There are lots of trees at the bottom and I keep losing anchors. When I anchor is generally for lunch or while the kids swim and I don't want drift ashore. I keep losing anchors. Any suggestions of a shape etc? Thanks

The lake I use is man-made. There are lots of trees at the bottom and I keep losing anchors. When I anchor is generally for lunch or while the kids swim and I don't want drift ashore. I keep losing anchors. Any suggestions of a shape etc? Thanks

I would suggest that you only anchor close to the man-made damn. The vegetation is not usually an issue due to clearing. The draw-back is the depth. Close to the damn is tytpically deep. I drop 7-10 feet of anchor line for every foot of depth. Anchoring in 10 feet of water requires 70-100' of line. I do not have an anchor shape suggestion.

I would suggest that you only anchor close to the man-made damn. The vegetation is not usually an issue due to clearing. The draw-back is the depth. Close to the damn is tytpically deep. I drop 7-10 feet of anchor line for every foot of depth. Anchoring in 10 feet of water requires 70-100' of line. I do not have an anchor shape suggestion.

It's at least 200 feet deep near the dam, probably 300 feet. Plus, the dam is on the other side of the lake from where we like to wakeboard.

What do you mean by losing the anchor?

Good question. I mean that I can't pull it up. I'm afraid that it's probably not the anchor, but the anchor line getting caught on a submerged log.

I use a box anchor for my lake and i'm very happy with it. It comes with a nice bag and collapses pretty flat. I got it from my dealer, but you can find it other places. You don't need as much line for this anchor as you do others.

ouch, you are losing box anchors??? Those are like $140 a pop. Yah, switch to the cheap muchroom anchors. I would suspect those would work. Hell, I have a hard enough time after anchored for 4-5 hours with my box anchor and pulling it back up out of clay/sand bottoms out here in AZ.

I use a Danforth for the rivers and lakes in Washington, and Idaho. So far no problems, even at Banks Lake where it gets stuck in the rocks on occassion we just motor directly above the anchor and hoist it aboard. But a mushroom type might be your best bet if you have lots of snags on the bottom, there's not a lot of protrusions to get stuck and there relatively cheap.