Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

1997 response surges at 3000 rpm

1997 response with efi when running about 3000 rpm not towing anything and just one person in the boat will surge about 100 rpm up and down over and over again also when you give it gas it seems to have dead spots i think its either the tps or the fuel pump the boat runs great starts good with no problems

I'm assuming you already swapped out both fuel filters, but I had to throw it out there because I had a similar issue that changing the fuel filters resolved.

Mike

• 2 months later...
Change (replace) your distributor cap and rotor.

Peter

I've been watching this thread as this happens to me as well....even since I changed my plugs, rotor and cap.

I have done all that - this is the second season I've put up with this problem. I try not to run in that rpm range - but its hard not to if I'm teaching someone. Hoping I haven't damaged the engine - the plugs all look the same.

How about fuel injectors?? any ideas?

Does anyone have or know what is needed to read codes ( & hours) from the ECM?

thanks

Bowen

Peter

I've been watching this thread as this happens to me as well....even since I changed my plugs, rotor and cap.

I have done all that - this is the second season I've put up with this problem. I try not to run in that rpm range - but its hard not to if I'm teaching someone. Hoping I haven't damaged the engine - the plugs all look the same.

thanks

Bowen

If you are a 100% all filters and screens are clean, then I have two words...

Fuel Injectors

Don't use any crap(STP fuel injector cleaner/Sea Foam) to un-clog them. You need to remove your fuel injectors and take them to a professional to have them cleaned, or replace them.

See here:

Fuel Injectors

• 5 months later...

Peter

thanks

Bowen

Did you ever solve the problem? I have a 98 Sunsetter that has had the same problem for the last 2 years. I think I could set up a parts department with everything that I have changed trying to solve the problem. I don't want to get into a fuel injector project unless absolutely necessary. I'd feel a lot better if someone has actually fixed the problem by cleaning/replacing the injectors.

Have you tried a new MAP sensor?

I have not but I will as soon as the boat is out of storage. It'd be great if it turns out to be something that simple. I would, however, be a little disappointed if Cope & McPhetres and Indmar weren't able to figure it out.

Thanks

Have you tried a new MAP sensor?

I have not but I will as soon as the boat is out of storage. It'd be great if it turns out to be something that simple. I would, however, be a little disappointed if Cope & McPhetres and Indmar weren't able to figure it out.

Thanks

Don't feel bad, Indmar could not figure out my beeping problem my engine had one time...We figured it out ourselves.

You didn't hear about his beeping problem? It was when his engine wasn't running right, he started swearing, and the ECM signaled the warning horn to beep him out. As in, "Look you beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep engine, I paid good beeeeeeeep money for you and you'd better start beeeeeeeeep running right you little piece of beeeeep."

Turned out to be the lanyard. Poor bastarbeeeep.

:lol:

What is a beeping problem?

it was a beep error code I was getting. Even had a tech hook up his PC and could not narrow down the problem. Ended up being some oil pressure sending unit switch-a-mabob...

You didn't hear about his beeping problem? It was when his engine wasn't running right, he started swearing, and the ECM signaled the warning horn to beep him out. As in, "Look you beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep engine, I paid good beeeeeeeep money for you and you'd better start beeeeeeeeep running right you little piece of beeeeep."

Turned out to be the lanyard. Poor bastarbeeeep.

:lol:

HAHA...good stuff.

I have however, on my parent's old boat back when I was a teenager, was trying to start their old Kayot Deck boat for like 20 minutes. After which I finally realized this little switch that said RUN on it was switched to off... Whistling.gif

What is a beeping problem?

it was a beep error code I was getting. Even had a tech hook up his PC and could not narrow down the problem. Ended up being some oil pressure sending unit switch-a-mabob...

Indmar couldn't figure out an oil sending unit alarm!?

That's horrible those things cause alarms all the time, I probably changed 3 or 4 in various boats last summer, including my own.

-Chris

• 1 month later...

I'm having the surging problem with my 99 VLX and my mechanic has tried the TPS, and has gone through the distributor. Anybody come up with a fix? Was it your fuel injectors? He doesn't have the correct cables to run a diagnostic program, so that is what he is waiting for currently.

1997 response with efi when running about 3000 rpm not towing anything and just one person in the boat will surge about 100 rpm up and down over and over again also when you give it gas it seems to have dead spots i think its either the tps or the fuel pump the boat runs great starts good with no problems

Get a surge protector.... seriously though, I know you checked your fuel filters but did you install them with the arrows in the right direction? I put one in backward once and it gave me the same symptoms, when I put it in back in correctly, it was fine.

• 11 years later...
On 3/11/2008 at 2:49 PM, kosar said:

Thanks

Doesn’t have a MAF sensor- this just has manifold pressure sensor.

My issues still continue at different times and RPMs.  I now have surging at 3000 instead of 3400.

ive been living with it since we all ski at 34.  I did have an issue earlier in the year where the engine would quit running after about 1/2 hour of skiing.  I checked the usual stuff- fuel pressure, spark...  I cleaned the water temp sensor for the computer- which had never been out , and it took care of that problem.  Not sure why...

1 hour ago, Bowen said:

My issues still continue at different times and RPMs.  I now have surging at 3000 instead of 3400.

ive been living with it since we all ski at 34.  I did have an issue earlier in the year where the engine would quit running after about 1/2 hour of skiing.  I checked the usual stuff- fuel pressure, spark...  I cleaned the water temp sensor for the computer- which had never been out , and it took care of that problem.  Not sure why...

Good job.  It's because the computer estimates the amount of fuel to use based on (among other things) engine temperature.  It will add fuel to a cold engine to account for condensation on the intake walls and differences in air density.

1 hour ago, justgary said:

Good job.  It's because the computer estimates the amount of fuel to use based on (among other things) engine temperature.  It will add fuel to a cold engine to account for condensation on the intake walls and differences in air density.

I’m not sure why the engine would shut down.  After a few minutes I could restart.  It was pretty random.  Anyway , hopefully done with that issue.  

Surging at 3000 rpm and a fairly lackluster acceleration with a skier. (Under load) otherwise accelerates fine.  At roughly 3000 rpm it feels like a turbo kicks in and off we go.