Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thinking about a new board

HoustonPerson

I have the HL 140 Motive; I sometimes think I am a little more skilled than that? That could be wishfull thinking................been looking at some of the new HL and LF, both have some models, that might help me a little etc.

Since the Motive is a little Bla,,,,,I was wanting to go just a little more adv, and agressive............boards like the Parks are still way too advanced for me...........

For one thing I thought about just putting smaller fins on the Motive, so I could release it and spin a little better................sometimes its edging slips like I am on ice, and I have to focus on the toes or heels real quick to remedy that, so it could use a little better holding while on edge IMO..............

Any suggestions?

I have the HL 140 Motive; I sometimes think I am a little more skilled than that?  That could be wishfull thinking................been looking at some of the new HL and LF, both have some models, that might help me a little etc.

Since the Motive is a little Bla,,,,,I was wanting to go just a little more adv, and agressive............boards like the Parks are still way too advanced for me...........

For one thing I thought about just putting smaller fins on the Motive, so I could release it and spin a little better................sometimes its edging slips like I am on ice, and I have to focus on the toes or heels real quick to remedy that, so it could use a little better holding while on edge IMO..............

Any suggestions?

If you are interested I have a HyperLite TFD that I would sell. It is a great board, but I think I'll be getting a Parks or maybe a LF Trip.

Joe

The premier is a nice board, also if you want to look at other lines the gator board gonzolas is great as well as some of the cwbs like the pure, flame, or tattoo. Try to get to a demo day or find a dealer who does demos since they will usually let you try a few adn put the money towards your purchase.

I can vouch for the TFD - I have two of them and think they are smooth. I also have a '03 byerly (before the cutouts) and the TFD's are signifiantly more smooth and controable on the POP

It's hard to say, I think it's opinion. I rode the Premier and hated it. I had a few LF as well. My last few boards have been CWB Absloutes, and I won't ever get anything else.

I have a used Premier (like the board) I would be willing to sell. The Absolute is an awesome board. Nice landings, great pop.

As i said somewhere the gonzalez is the board anybody will like...It is just that sort of board and I have not had anyone on mine who didn't like it. Maybe they like something else a little more, but they like it...IF I couldn't demo a board I would order one of those.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about a new board for the kids. They've been using an Obrien Evil Twin. The shop I go to has Hyperlite, OB, Liquid Force, HO and others. The owner is telling there are some nice board & binding packages for about $380 that would be a big improvement. Does this sound right?Any ideas what are good in that price range?

It looked to me that tha Gonzalez board was very close in shape to the older Premier board, the 02 and 03. Matter of fact it looked exact.

HP---try riding that Motive without the center fin. It will really make you use your edge and you might find that you like the board more.

The two boards I rode lately that I really liked are the Premier, which I ride most...and the LF Substance. Its a 3 stage rocker but it rides nice.

I hate to start another thread for this, so I will steal your's for a few.

I'm new to boarding and I need to know what size would be best and maybe what model to start with?

I'm 6'1" and 205lbs............... I learn pretty quick and I have boarded a few times but I'm still learning.

Thanks for the help guy's

Edited by R1LOVER

My son is riding a Blindside Five-O right now and thinks he wants the Byerly with the cut outs. His current board has a continuous rocker and he would like to go to a three stage rocker. I keep telling him that he should try and demo the board first and see if he likes it.

He is a good boarder and is just starting to attemp tricks.

Is this board to much for him?

Mike

I can vouch for the TFD - I have two of them and think they are smooth.  I also have a '03 byerly (before the cutouts) and the TFD's are signifiantly more smooth and controable on the POP

My son is riding a Blindside Five-O right now and thinks he wants the Byerly with the cut outs. His current board has a continuous rocker and he would like to go to a three stage rocker. I keep telling him that he should try and demo the board first and see if he likes it.

He is a good boarder and is just starting to attemp tricks.

Is this board to much for him?

Mike

I can vouch for the TFD - I have two of them and think they are smooth.  I also have a '03 byerly (before the cutouts) and the TFD's are signifiantly more smooth and controable on the POP

Yes, he should definitely try a 3-stage board first. My understanding is most boards are now going more towards the continuous rocker, since the 3 stage is so aggressive. It does hit hard, but I found it uncontrollably hard... I can go much smoother with the continuous - I wouldn't have believed it if I wouldn't have ridden it myself. The POP of a 3-stage sure sounds good...

I figure I will go back to it as I get better and see if I can harness some of that...

I was trying to hyjack this thread - Did no one hear me!! :lol::lol:

I'm new to boarding and I need to know what size would be best and maybe what model to start with?

I'm 6'1" and 205lbs...............  I learn pretty quick and I have boarded a few times but I'm still learning.

Edited by R1LOVER

I'm 6'1" and 205lbs...............  I learn pretty quick and I have boarded a few times but I'm still learning.

I think a good board for your size and ability would be the HL Motive in a 140 or 144. They have them at Wakeside. You can add some Spin bindings for a few bucks more, but I would probably spring for some better bindings. My favorite right now (what I would buy if I were buying new bindings) are the LF Transits.

The Motive has a continuous stage rocker, is stable, and a good one to learn on and more. It is the old Belmont that Shaun Murray did amazing things on. Another one to consider from HL is the State. It is similar to the Motive, but has unequal molded in fins that are supposed to make it easier to go toeside. If you went with the State you would want a 140 or 145.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Motive, but it still is a good idea to demo if you have local shop that will do that or return. Our shop gives you 30 days to return a board to exchange for a different one, or you can demo and apply the demo cost to the purchase of a board.

I ride the Parks. It is a bit aggressive, but I have lent it to beginners, and they didn't seem to mind. I really think that the differences in these boards is slight, and you can ride ANY board successfully. It is more a matter of what you get used to.

I think a good board for your size and ability would be the HL Motive in a 140 or 144. They have them at Wakeside. You can add some Spin bindings for a few bucks more, but I would probably spring for some better bindings. My favorite right now (what I would buy if I were buying new bindings) are the LF Transits.

The Motive has a continuous stage rocker, is stable, and a good one to learn on and more. It is the old Belmont that Shaun Murray did amazing things on. Another one to consider from HL is the State. It is similar to the Motive, but has unequal molded in fins that are supposed to make it easier to go toeside. If you went with the State you would want a 140 or 145.

I don't think you could go wrong with the Motive, but it still is a good idea to demo if you have local shop that will do that or return. Our shop gives you 30 days to return a board to exchange for a different one, or you can demo and apply the demo cost to the purchase of a board.

Thanks for your help. This is what came with the boat! It is worth trading or selling? Hyperlite Drifter 136

Boat%20Wedge%20006%20(Small).jpg

Boat%20Wedge%20007%20(Small).jpg

Boat%20Wedge%20008%20(Small).jpg

Thank you all for you help and sorry about the hyjack!

I just bought a LF State 145 at the cal expo boat show, I asked the salesman what would be the best for a beginner like me and I'm 6'5" 225lbs he handed me the state. It's a nice looking board, can't wait to give it a try.

Here are the specs on the Drifter.... I guess it may be worth something huh! Biggrin.gif

'99 Hyperlite Drifter

Mfg's Comments: Foam-core version of the swallow-tail, four-fin board designed by riders Jeff Heer, Keith Kipp and Brian Grubb.

Category: All Levels

Construction: Foam core

Length: 136 cm

Width: 16.6"/42.2 cm

Weight: 7.2 lbs.

Rocker: 2.4"/6.1 cm

MSRP: $409.99

I have the HL 140 Motive; I sometimes think I am a little more skilled than that?  That could be wishfull thinking................been looking at some of the new HL and LF, both have some models, that might help me a little etc.

Any suggestions?

So do you want to sell your motive ?

No, I am not selling now.....(not been on the water as much as I want during the last two months.....). This is something just been thinking about, but in no hurry. I need a few days of hot weather so my bones will move better, and then push myself to see if I can start movin on the Motive.........then mid summer I may make a change.

R1,

I go about 6'2" and 195 pounds and I ride a 140 CWB Pure and really like it. We bought it last year as a slight upgrade due to a slight rise and skills and it seems to be a good intermediate ride. I like the Absolute as well. Demos are a great idea.