Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunscape LSV 21 Leans to Right at skiing speeds

I have a 2005 Sunscape LSV 21. It leans significantly to the right at skiing speeds, almost like it is weighted down. I have checked for water and can find no significant amounts. Could this be caused by the rudder ajsutment?

Appreciate any insight or ideas into the possible casuses.

Thanks,

Is this with driver only or passengers in boat as well? And just for clarification, you mean the boat actually tips or lists, correct? Not just that the steering pulls to the right?

Thanks for the reply

It leans (not pulls) to the right with just me in the boat or another person of similar size as a counterbalance.

If it was just with driver, I would say that prop torque could cause a slight list starboard.

Does it diiminish noticeably when you have a passenger?

Is your battery on the port side?

Do you have or has there ever been any damage to the hull or running gear?

You may want to have another Malibu owner or dealer take the boat for a spin and see what they think. Hey, welcome to the site and happy summer!

I know with our '01, if I'm out cruising by myself there's a bit of a list. With a driver and a spotter of about equal weight however, I don't notice any list or excessive spray from one side while I'm back there skiing.

The rudder tab shouldn't affect the boats attitude at all, it'll only make the pull heavier or lighter. The only thing I can think of to make your boat list is maybe a faulty drain pump on ballast and your rear tank is full? Maybe the gauge isn't working? I dunno, that's a bit odd. Perhaps you have more gear in the right trunk? I'm sure you've thought of all this...

I have a 2005 Sunscape LSV 21. It leans significantly to the right at skiing speeds, almost like it is weighted down. I have checked for water and can find no significant amounts. Could this be caused by the rudder ajsutment?

Appreciate any insight or ideas into the possible casuses.

Thanks,

FWIW, I have a 2006 Sunscape LSV 21 and it leans to the right with just me in it. But, with the counterbalance

of another person on board or equipment stashed to the port-side, I haven't noticed it.

If you slow down to wakeboarding speeds, it's easy to tell if one side of the boat is relatively over-weighted

because you'll see foam on the crest of the wake on one side and none on the other. It's amazing that

just having someone scoot a foot to one side or the other on the rear seat will usually even it out. It doesn't

take much.

I have a '98 RLX. Direct drive... with Left Hand spinning prop. Causes the boat to list to the right (driver's side) at planing speeds. Has always bugged me. With 1 spotter on the left and driver on the right, (evenly weighted left-to-right) boat still lists to the right. With my wife driving and my young son or daughter (less weight) as spotters, sometimes I feel I'm watching the Leaning Tower of Pisa towing me.

Doesn't "pull" right.....it just rides lower in the water on the right. Normal visual check underneath .... all seems aligned... no evidence of underwater collisions or damage.

Causes uneven spray out the back and slightly uneven wakes. Fortunately I'm a dreadful skier, so doesn't affect my form!

Put in 2 spotters, and the boat is dead flat. Battery in the '98 RLX is dead centre under the front dash. If I can ever find the cable routing and get long enough replacement cables, I'd like to move the battery (about 60 pounds) to the far left.

When my daughter wakeboards (yuck) we put the rear fatsack further to the left. Helps.

If you come up with other wonderful solutions... let me know.

Thanks to all that replied.

Gear is all on the left side along with the battery. Moving the Gear helped but clearly there is something else a miss.

I have one last thing to check and that is the Gorilla fins.

I originally checked the bottom of the boat for damage and did not see anything but after talking with Malibu they suggested taking a close look at the fins. They believe if they are out of alignmnt even 1/4 of an inch it could throw the boat off.

I will check them this weekend and report back.