Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transducer mounting

woody

I will be picking a transducer so I can use the depth finder in my VLX. Can someone with an '05 or newer VLX tell me where the transducer is mounted to the hull?

Thanks.

I have the factory depth gauge so if you show me what I am looking for I can go find it in the boat and let you know where they put it. The boat is in the driveway

On my v-ride they told me to mount just behind fuel tank and in between stringer and trans.

That looks like the right place to mount it, but I don't see a stock wire harness to plug it into.

Edited by woody
I have the factory depth gauge so if you show me what I am looking for I can go find it in the boat and let you know where they put it. The boat is in the driveway

Hey, what's going on over on the other side of the hill?

Look just behind your fuel cell on the hull just to the left or right side of the gearbox. There should be some little box glued down with some with wires connected to it. Also, What color are the wires?

I looked at mine and it is right behind the gas tank. Next to the water inlet for the motor and the ballast tank inlet. The wire or cable is then fed into the stringer along with the cable for the speedometer wheel. I think I a m looking at the right thing. From the bottom of the hull it looks like a round piece of glass. Hope this helps, I would take a pic but the camera is at the house.

So do you have to drill a whole through the hull of the boat??

I looked at mine and it is right behind the gas tank. Next to the water inlet for the motor and the ballast tank inlet. The wire or cable is then fed into the stringer along with the cable for the speedometer wheel. I think I a m looking at the right thing. From the bottom of the hull it looks like a round piece of glass. Hope this helps, I would take a pic but the camera is at the house.

Thanks Tim.

No hole is required. It just sticks tothe inside of the hull with Silcon or epxoy. From what I've read, silcon isthe way to go if you have to remove it for any thing.

Thanks Tim.

No hole is required. It just sticks tothe inside of the hull with Silcon or epxoy. From what I've read, silcon isthe way to go if you have to remove it for any thing.

I looked again and didn't see no box stuck to the hull so I guess they do it a little different at the factory. Good luck with the project. So will it wire into the dash using your current gauges or do you have to add a gauge also?

Thanks Tim.

I looked again and didn't see no box stuck to the hull so I guess they do it a little different at the factory. Good luck with the project. So will it wire into the dash using your current gauges or do you have to add a gauge also?

It's a direct plug and play. So it will use the existing display screen.

I have three wire bundles running thru the stringer, luckily they are all wrapped with wire loom, so right now, I can't find two loose wires yet. They are hard to ge to, so it will take some time to find the correct 2 wires.

If someone knows what the wire colors are, could you please post them?

Also, I have two loose wires with pig tails on them between the center balast tank and fuel cell. I'm pretty sure those aren't for the transducer.

Bump...

Any body know the wire colors that connect to the transducer?

Forrest, I don't know if they've changed since the old days when they built my boat, but I only have a single black wire coming out of my transducer. There might be a pair of wires inside that one insulator, but I can't tell.

I had to by two pieces one piece goes under the dash and plugs into the MMI thingy and the other is the transducer which is "glued" to the hull. I used a 10' piece of 12/2 home power wire to run a piece of string through the stringer then I attatched the transducer wire to that to get it from where it is mounted up to the dash.

Bump...

Any body know the wire colors that connect to the transducer?

Forrest, I don't know if they've changed since the old days when they built my boat, but I only have a single black wire coming out of my transducer. There might be a pair of wires inside that one insulator, but I can't tell.

Thanks for the info.

I had to by two pieces one piece goes under the dash and plugs into the MMI thingy and the other is the transducer which is "glued" to the hull. I used a 10' piece of 12/2 home power wire to run a piece of string through the stringer then I attatched the transducer wire to that to get it from where it is mounted up to the dash.

John... Thanks for the info. I'm headed down to the dealer later today, I'll just have to ask them somemore questions regarding the install.

What did the two parts cost you? Would happen to have there part numbers handy?

I think I had around 300 in the two parts no part numbers though sorry.

Wow... I didn't think it was going to cost that much. My dealer quoted $55.99 for the transducer. I hope I don't have to buy the second part. I was told I just need to get the transducer and it is just plug and play.

Edited by woody

Wow... I didn't think it was going to cost that much. My dealer quoted $55.99 for the transducer. I hope I don't have to buy the second part. I was told I just need to get the transducer and it is just plug and play.

Yes the transducer was the cheap part but if you look under the dash if there is not a box with nothing going to it then you need the in between piece to do the "translating"

Yes the transducer was the cheap part but if you look under the dash if there is not a box with nothing going to it then you need the in between piece to do the "translating"

cool, thanks.

cool, thanks.

So how did it all work out? I am working on adding the transducer to my 04 sunsetter as well. I fished the wire from the transducer up to the dash, plugged it into the other electronic box the dealer sold me (yes I spent nearly $300 for the package as well). I then plugged the harness coming out of the electronic box into a matching harness coming out of the main electronic module the guages. Finally there was a very fine (22ga?) red and black wire coming out of the depthfinder ebox so I hooked them up to positive and negative terminals respectively. So, after all this I thought I was done. I turned the boat on, but am not able to see a reading for "depth" as I scroll through the display options.

Any thoughts?

cool, thanks.

So how did it all work out? I am working on adding the transducer to my 04 sunsetter as well. I fished the wire from the transducer up to the dash, plugged it into the other electronic box the dealer sold me (yes I spent nearly $300 for the package as well). I then plugged the harness coming out of the electronic box into a matching harness coming out of the main electronic module the guages. Finally there was a very fine (22ga?) red and black wire coming out of the depthfinder ebox so I hooked them up to positive and negative terminals respectively. So, after all this I thought I was done. I turned the boat on, but am not able to see a reading for "depth" as I scroll through the display options.

Any thoughts?

Unfortnately I don't have any experience with these, so I'm going to be headed down a dark path until I can get to the dealer. From what I've read on TMC mine should just be a plug and play set-up if I could only find the wires.

Well... I didn't make it to the dealer because the CFO was running a little late for our dinner plans in Sac. and if we had stopped to pick up the transducer, we would have been extremely late for our dinner party.

So... I have a trip planned to Sac on Wednesday and I'll pick it up then.

cool, thanks.

Any thoughts?

Unfortnately I don't have any experience with these, so I'm going to be headed down a dark path until I can get to the dealer. From what I've read on TMC mine should just be a plug and play set-up if I could only find the wires.

Well... I didn't make it to the dealer because the CFO was running a little late for our dinner plans in Sac. and if we had stopped to pick up the transducer, we would have been extremely late for our dinner party.

cool, thanks.

Any thoughts?

Mine was supposed to be plug and play as well. Not sure why I'm not seeing it. The transducers can vary, but mine is supposed to be set down in the hull a bit as evidently the inner most surface can have voids that will impact the accuracy. I am going to route out about 1/4" of the material and then set it in epoxy. I was hoping to have the signal working before I set the transducer in the epoxy. Oh well. I'll be interested to see what you find out.