Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

V-drive Oil Change

I'm doing the 200 hr service on our boat.

I'm confused by something in the Transmission Manual vs. the Boat (Vride 06) manual.

In the Boat manual it says I need to:

1. Change engine oil and filter (got that down with my oil boy)

2. Change transmission oil and filter (have DEXIII oil - no idea on the filter but it was changed - I assume - at the dealer at the 100hr service

3. Change V-Drive oil (SAE 30)

I'm a bit confused as the Tranny manual (ZF) shows that I put one liter in the front of the tranny and 2 liters in the back of the tranny (they call that the V-drive) all with Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).

Is there another V-drive that I'm missing? I looked around the engine and couldn't find any other holes to put oil into... please help?

The Vdrive is the front most portion of the drive system, it takes 1 quart of SAE30 weight. The tranny has the notched dipstick and uses 2 quarts of ATF. I plan on changing my Vdrive/tranny once per season or 100hr...and my oil/filter on the motor every 25hr on straight oil and every 50 hr once I get synthetic on board.

I pulled out the Tranny manual and examined the diagrams a little more closely. They both are marked "ATF" only (in both the manual and on the tags on the metal as mentioned above), so I suppose I don't need the SAE 30 after all? :unsure:

Edited by smedman

well, you should change out the oil in the V-drive gearbox when you change the trany fluid. The V-Drive gear box uses the SAE 30.

Put ATF III into your transmission.

I agree.

One way to tell for CERTAIN is to pull the notched dipstick on the tranny and I betcha it is RED. Then pull the V-drive dipstick (front most portion of the drive system) and I betcha it is golden/darkish MOTOR OIL. Hence, I betcha YOU will put SAE 30 in the Vdrive and ATF in the Tranny. Kinda weird the manual is written that way.

Report back...inquiring minds wanna know,

well, you should change out the oil in the V-drive gearbox when you change the trany fluid. The V-Drive gear box uses the SAE 30.

Put ATF III into your transmission.

Whoa, back up the truck everyone. In '06 they went to a new vdrive/tranny unit called a Ski Vee that takes Dex III tranny fluid all the way around, that's what he's seeing.

I second what Tracie said, look at the manual closely you can identify what tranny you have by the stamp on the tranny, also, mine at least, is plastered with stickers on what kind of oil to use

• 5 years later...

Whoa, back up the truck everyone. In '06 they went to a new vdrive/tranny unit called a Ski Vee that takes Dex III tranny fluid all the way around, that's what he's seeing.

Ditto's to the whoa!!! An 06 should have the Ski-Vee. If you do, when you remove your storage compartment under the back seat, you will see a unit with two dip sticks, one close to you (v-drive) and another closer to the engine (main transmission unit). These two dipsticks are both in one solid unit and they both take Dexron III/Mercon ATF. The v-drive takes 1 quart and the main transmission unit takes 2.12 quarts.

So where is the oil filter for the tranny and what is the easiest way to drain the fluid in the tranny & v-Drive

The filter is inside of the tranny & doesn't get changed. Just suck out as much fluid from the tranny & replace the amount that you took out with new. Rinse & repeat with the vdrive. Use an oil pump, Tempo Oil Boy is a good one.

here is another trick, because you wont get all of the fluid out of the v-drive or transmission.

I use a big turkey baster and suck the fluid out and put it into a clear plastic container with fluid levels marked on it.

When I have as much out as I can get, then i mark how much i removed. Then i only add in the same amount that i have removed. You can be sure you wont overfill, because you cannot get all of the fluid out.

And my 2008 uses ATF in both and it is very clearly marked on the fillers.

I have a case of Dextron III that is about 4 years old. It's been stored in a cool spot in the garage. Do you think it is still good to use?

A good way to change the vdrive and trans oil is have two seperate 2 liter bottles. Label them old fluid and new fluid. Pump out old fluid into the old fluid bottle. Now take the new fluid bottle and fill it with exactly the same amount of fluid as you pumped out and refill your trans or vdrive.

Also a good idea to check fluid level before you start this process to adjust as needed.

Both of my vlx's (11 and 13) take dextron III ATF fluid, NO 30w engine oil in vdrive.