Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Helmets

Helinut

After reading the thread about Colby and after taking my first real faceplant a few weeks ago, I'm thinking about getting a helmet. Actually I'm not just thinking, I'm going to get one!

What are the options out there for a decent helmet? This is going to be primarily for wakeboarding by a beginner. I'd probably like to go with the style that has ear protection too. I'd rather not do that ole ear drum rupture thing!

Thanks,

Shawn

This is what I wear.

http://www.pro-tec.net/water/water.html

I reccomed this model over the "wake" models because the ear protection is part of the helmet. On the other helmets, those ear flap protectors keep coming un-buttoned after a fall.

edit: sorry, link did not go to the exact model I am referring to. I am referring to the "classic full cut water" model.

Edited by Pistol Pete

We use Pro Tec Ace Wake. As Pete said, the flaps can come unsnapped after a hard fall, but they are super easy to get back on and mine rarely fall off. The helmet is light and gives pretty good protection if fit right. It makes those hard back falls a little bit easier for me.

I have some Pro Tec skate helmets that need a home....cheap. Would make great wb helmets. Can post pics tomorrow if anyone wants to see them. They are leftovers from when we used to have skate or die equipment.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

The ear flaps do come off too often on the Wake helmet so I glued them on with epoxy but many types of glue would work. Ear drum protection was very important to me so I wanted flaps for sure. I just got the Ace B2Wake Jr. for my boy and if I recall, the ear flaps are not removeable, so maybe the B2 model fixed the ear flap problem.

I use the Ace Wake helmet too. I was being made fun of last weekend for wearing the helmet, and sure enough one of the other riders ruptured her eardrum. I am a pilot, and ruptured eardrums are bad news for pilots....

In fact, preventing ear drum ruptures are the only reason I wear the helmet.

Another ProTec Ace Wake user here .... (actually 4 of us in the family, all with our own helmets).

Again, it's the ear protection I need/want. (I've had 3 prior ear perf's due to no helmet.... not fun.... so it's 100% helmet user now.)

I've had 1 ear flap become 1/2 snapped off in a hard fall.

I tried on the ProTec "Classic Cut". Didn't feel like as good a fit as the Ace Wake..... and it kinda looked like a german helmet from WW II. Not a look I want to have

Also, I was able to get my youngest son his ProTec in BRIGHT YELLOW. An added protection for little people bobbing around in the water. Bright red is also a good idea!

Ive been wearing my Portec for about 3 years now. Many falls later.... (I also wear a left ear plug and a neoprene head band to prevent further injury to my never-healed left ear..... and no ear damage. The helmet lets me do my stuff and not worry about another very painful injury.

Well I did it, I ordered a Pro-Tec Wake Ace helmet from www.wake-space.com (formely boarders-paradise.com) Free shipping and no tax.

I have had a few faceplants and almost blew out my ear drum, so... I'll give it a shot. Especially after the whole Shannoookie fiasco. Whistling.gif

Well I did it, I ordered a Pro-Tec Wake Ace helmet from www.wake-space.com (formely boarders-paradise.com) Free shipping and no tax.

I have had a few faceplants and almost blew out my ear drum, so... I'll give it a shot. Especially after the whole Shannoookie fiasco. Whistling.gif

Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

looks like a good helmet, how do you know what size to get sm, m, l or xl and is there another good retailer for these helments as the 877 phone numer for wake space does not work from canada?

Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif

looks like a good helmet, how do you know what size to get sm, m, l or xl and is there another good retailer for these helments as the 877 phone numer for wake space does not work from canada?

Hi Cervelo,

Give Clint at Hyperactive Watersports a call in Edmonton 454-4600. I've always had good luck finding things with them. If they don't have it they may be able to source it for you. You could also try Wizard Lake Marine although I don't recall seeing helmets there.

W.L.

I took a faceplant on a board last year (I know, I know, I'm 41 years old and a slalom skier, what was I even thinking in the first place?), and I ruptured an eardrum. Scrambled my eggs a bit too. After wiping out at 40 mph-plus across a wake on a slalom ski, and never getting seriously hurt, the fall on the wakeboard was a real eye-opener. So, my son and I both ordered helmets for this year, and so far, so good. I got him the Pro-Tec Ace Wake, and that's what I ordered for myself as well. However, when it came in, the XL was still too small for my melon. So, I double-measured my head, and started looking for a helmet that would fit. It was tougher than it sounds to find one, but then again, my cranium is a tad too large. I found a snowboard helmet from Smith that has been great. Ear protection, padding, warmth for early morning runs, etc. It dries out well too, and I can take out the liner if I really have to.

Evogear Smith Helmet

I feel like a total window-licker on a short bus when I wear it, but it's the right thing to do.

I took a faceplant on a board last year (I know, I know, I'm 41 years old and a slalom skier, what was I even thinking in the first place?), and I ruptured an eardrum. Scrambled my eggs a bit too. After wiping out at 40 mph-plus across a wake on a slalom ski, and never getting seriously hurt, the fall on the wakeboard was a real eye-opener. So, my son and I both ordered helmets for this year, and so far, so good. I got him the Pro-Tec Ace Wake, and that's what I ordered for myself as well. However, when it came in, the XL was still too small for my melon. So, I double-measured my head, and started looking for a helmet that would fit. It was tougher than it sounds to find one, but then again, my cranium is a tad too large. I found a snowboard helmet from Smith that has been great. Ear protection, padding, warmth for early morning runs, etc. It dries out well too, and I can take out the liner if I really have to.

Evogear Smith Helmet

I feel like a total window-licker on a short bus when I wear it, but it's the right thing to do.

ROFL.gif Haha...I know. But at 37 yrs old, I've stopped caring how I look and focus more on how I feel after I hit my head on the water. You can laugh at me all you want, but if I can avoid a 2-day headache from wakeboarding, I'm gonna do it.

BWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Great image. :)

Very cool everyone. Thanks for the info and I'm looking to order one right now. Probably have to go with the Evogear helmet since my melon is also on the crazy large size. :)

Shawn

Evogear Smith Helmet

Is a snowboard helmet OK to use as a wakeboard helmet?

I don't see why not. It doesn't have closed cell foam, so it will take on some water and won't dry out as well, but as far as impact protection, it should be fine. There is also a possibility that it may sink when you take it off since the foam doesn't repel water, other than that, it's pretty similar.

Is a snowboard helmet OK to use as a wakeboard helmet?

Sure. I just take it up with me each night and let it air out. I don't do that with the Pro-Tec Ace Wake; I just leave that one in the stern storage locker and it dries just fine. The Smith has more padding, and the removable liner feels like a nylon blend with more padding around the ear flaps, so, it holds moisture more that's all. Plus, it's warmer on the head. I'm only wearing it for a few minutes at a time, so it hasn't been a big deal or felt uncomfortable, even in the mugginess of a Tennessee summer on Norris Lake.

"window-licker on the short bus"... ROFL.gifROFL.gif

Outstanding. I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

"window-licker on the short bus"... ROFL.gifROFL.gif

Outstanding. I needed a laugh today. Thanks.

One of my running buddies teaches the special needs kids in elementary grades and she DEFINITELY would take offense at that comment. I, on the other hand, about fell out of my chair when I read it.