Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Platform Griptape

Mazeing5

I have had my new fiberglass platform for about three months now. Over this last weekend I noticed that I was tracking black crap all over the seats in the boat every time I came in from the ski platform.

I remember threads on mbo about this happening and it was one of the problems with the fiberglass platforms. I said that if it happened to mine I would use hydro turf to cover it. (Just did not think it would be this soon) The rivets that hold the trim piece are coming out as well. I think I will use stainless screws for that.

What I was wondering does anyone know of any other brands besides Hydro turf or gator grip that sell sheets of the stuff in larger than 40" x 60" sheets. I really like the black diamond hydro turf but the swim platform is around 67'" wide at the top and I would like to use one sheet.

I have used the hydro turf before and it really holds up well I just need a bigger sheet if possible, something around 67" x 22" would be great. Here are the links I know of:

http://www.hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=...&man=Hydro-Turf and http://www.wakejunky.com/

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Trey

Hi Trey,

I've never had that problem with my platform, although there seem to be plenty that have & with no real common denominator to lock down the cause for it. I've used Hydroturf in other applications & although I think it would hold up to that application, I'm not sure that Gator Grip wouldn't be a better choice, mainly because of the texture (plus I've read on other forums of people that have used Gator Grip on their FG platforms with great success). The guy that runs Wakejunky/Gator Grip would probably be able to answer whether or not he could get the right size for you.

just a couple comments - IMO the irregular pattern of Gator Grip hides seams pretty well. i've had a bunch of GG on my boat for i think three seasons now, my boat sits outside under a cover, and it still looks great. it doesn't look it, but it's also pretty easy to clean with a brush.

Stewart,

The funny thing is I always since I got the platform 3 months ago I have covered it. Just before last weekend when the problem started it went one night uncovered.

I tried cleaning it with dish soap and it got better but still did it. I just don't understand how the stuff would break down in one day or get that dirty. I use the boat 3 times a week.

I had the hydro turf on a previous boat for the ski platform and I really liked it. The only thing I don't like about the gator grip, is the pattern. I guess if it was all black I would get it.

No. I'm just curious cuz this has come up before.

The vinyl on the interior of the boats collects alot of dust. I have seen it where we jumped in the boat after it set outside a day and when we got our feet wet from the platform, we left marks all over the vinyl. It is easy to think that maybe the platform did it (I did initially), when it was actually the fine dust (not that visible to the eye) that left the footprints.

So, after you cleaned it, could you wipe your hands across it and have black come off in your hands?

That is exactly what happens. Its like A fine rubber dust like the stuff that comes off my treadmill from the sole on my shoes.

Mine does not do that (05). Mine is stored in the driveway, under a canopy, but the platform sticks out and gets some sun regularly. I usually try to lay a towel over it, but only some of the time this gets done. Once I 303'd it, and it looked really nice. Getting ready to do that again. Did not really make it that much more slippery, which I thought it would.

I have heard of this in a previous thread, but like I said, so far in the 5+ months I have had mine, it has not done that.

One thing it had done though, is shrunk up in size. It is still glued down all the way around, but now there is about a 1/4 line of glue around the edge. I figure this is normal, but have not heard anyone else mention this. I will probably take a solvent and remove the glue, and it will look good as new.

Mine does not do that (05).  Mine is stored in the driveway, under a canopy, but the platform sticks out and gets some sun regularly.  I usually try to lay a towel over it, but only some of the time this gets done.  Once I 303'd it, and it looked really nice.  Getting ready to do that again.  Did not really make it that much more slippery, which I thought it would.

I have heard of this in a previous thread, but like I said, so far in the 5+ months I have had mine, it has not done that.

One thing it had done though, is shrunk up in size.  It is still glued down all the way around, but now there is about a 1/4 line of glue around the edge.  I figure this is normal, but have not heard anyone else mention this.  I will probably take a solvent and remove the glue, and it will look good as new.

Buzz,

We have had the glue thing happening as well around the edges of the rubber. Any suggestions on what to use to get the glue off?

Thanks

I have the FG platform too, and never seen the black dust that we speak of. Since I first read of this on MBO I have been paranoid and always watching for it.

Have we limited it down to a year (04's), a plant (TN/CA), type of protectant 303'd vs not, anything? It would be nice if we had a summary of those with it and see what the commonalities are so the rest can avoid and those impact possible resolve. I can't imagine it is as random as it sounds.

Mine stays covered 100% unless the boat is in use. Cleaned with mild soap and warm water. Platform is removed over winter and stored inside boat.

tgaugh

Mine does not do that (05).  Mine is stored in the driveway, under a canopy, but the platform sticks out and gets some sun regularly.  I usually try to lay a towel over it, but only some of the time this gets done.  Once I 303'd it, and it looked really nice.  Getting ready to do that again.  Did not really make it that much more slippery, which I thought it would.

One thing it had done though, is shrunk up in size.  It is still glued down all the way around, but now there is about a 1/4 line of glue around the edge.  I figure this is normal, but have not heard anyone else mention this.  I will probably take a solvent and remove the glue, and it will look good as new.

Buzz,

We have had the glue thing happening as well around the edges of the rubber. Any suggestions on what to use to get the glue off?

Thanks

Try Goof Off or Goo Gone.

Buzz,

Thanks

Try Goof Off or Goo Gone.

Thank you...I will try that!