Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2001 Malibu Sunsetter

My brother in law just bought this boat back in the spring and we aren't very knowledgable regarding all of the in's and out's of inboard boating yet. We've read the manuals that came with the boat and looked around on the internet, but can't find anything on this threaded plug that goes underneath the boat, right in front of the tracking fins.

I have discovered that it is what is called the MLS, Malibu Launch System, to help fill up a ballast if the boat is equipped with it. Ours is not. We just had the boat serviced and when we got it back, the plug was not in place, but could not be put back in the hole in the bottom of the boat because the threads were too large. I've been told that this plug is supposed to be put in from the INSIDE of the boat. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to rip into the Malibu dealer that repaired out boat this year if they didn't put it back in.

My brother in law just bought this boat back in the spring and we aren't very knowledgable regarding all of the in's and out's of inboard boating yet. We've read the manuals that came with the boat and looked around on the internet, but can't find anything on this threaded plug that goes underneath the boat, right in front of the tracking fins.

I have discovered that it is what is called the MLS, Malibu Launch System, to help fill up a ballast if the boat is equipped with it. Ours is not. We just had the boat serviced and when we got it back, the plug was not in place, but could not be put back in the hole in the bottom of the boat because the threads were too large. I've been told that this plug is supposed to be put in from the INSIDE of the boat. Can anyone confirm this? I'm going to rip into the Malibu dealer that repaired out boat this year if they didn't put it back in.

I have the same boat, i wasn't aware it was available without MLS, anyway, just buy a T-handle plug from your dealer and screw it in hand tight and you will be good to go. My boat takes the 3/4" t-handle.

The ski locker plug is screwed in from the inside. Ours is the same plug as the transom. The T plug would be handy (that's what we have in the bilge) but it might ding up my skis and I can't have that!

The ski locker plug is screwed in from the inside. Ours is the same plug as the transom. The T plug would be handy (that's what we have in the bilge) but it might ding up my skis and I can't have that!

Thanks guys. I'll check in the ski well this weekend when we get back to the lake. Sounds like that is the problem. Stupid shop that worked on the boat didn't put it back in and I had no idea what it was for until we almost sunk the boat!!!

In your boat you have 3 plugs. One at the transom - requires a wrench to remove and replace. One in the engine compartment that has a T-handle as described above. And a third one in the center ski locker that is similar to the transom plug and requires a wrench.

Check all three before you launch!