Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Replacement Ignition Key....where to get?

I'm pretty sure that I've only ever had just one set of keys for my 2001 Sunscape LSV (Ignition, glove box and rear hatches)...since I always kept my boat in my garage, I just left that one set in it all the time.

Now that I have a lift in a slip at my local marina, I'd like to have more than one set of keys and I can't seem to find a key place with the correct blanks...

Have any of you ever had to get a replacement or extra key for your Malibu? If so, how or where did you go about doing so?

Thanks,

Lance, your dealer should have some....

Or, email me the # stamped on the key. You'll have to open the little square malibu housing on it to see the number.

Peter

I have a marina local to me, but not a Bu dealer. Thought I'd try there vs. the hour drive over. As Peter pointed out, you can crack open the black malibu cover and there is a number stamped on the key. All the keys for my 01 are Perko. You can call around and ask if they have Perko keys. This dealer had mine, and they don't even have to cut them. They just have stock and match the numbers, pull it out and it will fit. Makes you wonder how many of us are keyed the same. And to add insult to injury, he made the comment that it was a Bayliner key. Anyway, 2 keys, $5.

I got an extra made at Lowes last week. I had a different key next (glove box I think) to it & just told them to look for a key like it. Took her about 15 seconds to find a match.

Cincy Dan had his made at Home Depot... Sounds like they didn't look hard enough or correctly. If you look at the thread the NorCaliBu referenced above, you'll see what the key looks like out of the little plastic Malibu holder.

Lance, your dealer should have some....

Or, email me the # stamped on the key. You'll have to open the little square malibu housing on it to see the number.

Peter

Thanks Peter. My dealer was less than helpful the two times that I've called them on this, I guess it's been too long since I bought a boat from them.

I was in a friend's Malibu last night and the little square thing had fallen off his key so he showed me where the number was on his.

I'm going to try Home Depot and a locksmith today and if I don't have any luck finding a blank there, I'm going to take you up on your offer.

Thanks again,

Lance

I had mine done at the local hardware store and it's nothing special. I think it labeled as a "Tractor" key Surprised.gif and the number is IN8 (the same as the glovebox). You should be able to get that blank easily.

Good luck.

I would try a locksmith. lowes, Depot, hardware stores will only have the 100 most popular keys. I've had no trouble having key for boats and all kinds of stuff made.

P

I would try a locksmith. lowes, Depot, hardware stores will only have the 100 most popular keys. I've had no trouble having key for boats and all kinds of stuff made.

P

Lowes had them all. $1.79 each. I must say, the procedure for picking out a blank and getting a duplicate made sure has changed since the last time I had a key made... Their little system they have is cool!!!

Thanks everyone

I have a marina local to me, but not a Bu dealer. Thought I'd try there vs. the hour drive over. As Peter pointed out, you can crack open the black malibu cover and there is a number stamped on the key. All the keys for my 01 are Perko. You can call around and ask if they have Perko keys. This dealer had mine, and they don't even have to cut them. They just have stock and match the numbers, pull it out and it will fit. Makes you wonder how many of us are keyed the same. And to add insult to injury, he made the comment that it was a Bayliner key. Anyway, 2 keys, $5.

[/quote

If thay were for a Bu thay would have cost muck more. Now your Bu has Bayliner blood. ROFL.gifROFL.gif