Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Typical Operating Temps.

I was out yesterday and had some fairly smooth water so I did a longer-than-normal-for-me run at full throttle. After about 5 minutes or so I noticed the temp gauge was at 180 and a passenger commented that "something smells hot". I slowed down a bit and did notice a "too hot" smell, kind of like a hose or belt overheating or something starting to burn. When I checked the engine compartment I didn't find anything unusual, so I kept an eye on the temp gauge the rest of the day. It was always in the 160-180 range and we weren't even running the engine that much - mostly floating around relaxing. Is this about the normal operating temp? I wouldn't have worried about it except for the "hot" smell I was getting. The boat is new to me this year so I don't have much experience with it. The manual only mentions a minimum operating temp of 120-140. Both the oil and trans fluid are fresh and full. The boat has the Indmar 310 Assault carbureted engine with 86 hours. Thanks.

That's hot for Washington. My gauge goes a tick over 160 and then comes back down. Do you know when (if) the impeller was changed last? Also, take the hose off the tranny cooler and clean any debris that might be plugging the holes. If there is rubber debris, you've blown your impeller. Keep us posted.

my 1999 sportster ran at 160 all day i just pu a 1997 response with the monsoon and it runs at 170 so i think your in the ballpark

I don't think 180° is in the ballpark.

a passenger commented that "something smells hot". I slowed down a bit and did notice a "too hot" smell, kind of like a hose or belt overheating or something starting to burn.
I don't think that at 86 hours he's burning paint off the engine, but I suppose it's possible. Also possible that oil or tranny fluid was spilled during change. Or perhaps his exhaust hose was getting a little warm? I would not dismiss this incident or smell without checking the obvious.
always in the 160-180 range and we weren't even running the engine that much - mostly floating around relaxing.
If you run the boat, shut down, run the boat, shut down, there will be heat soak during the down time that sends the temp up. Then when you start the boat the temp will be above 160, but should come down as the impeller does its job. It'll come down faster as you add throttle because more water is being drawn in.

Five bucks says he's got debris in the tranny cooler screen and/or the impeller is failing/shot. ffdawg, if you need any info regarding inspecting your impeller or checking the tranny cooler, PM me. I would not run the boat again without checking these two things. Overheating aint cool, unless you like melted exhaust hose. YMMV

Mine varies between 160 & about 165 after running & shutting it down. Within about 30 seconds of restart, it will drop back to 160. Check out what the others have said above.

A partially failed impeller can manifest 2 ways:

1) If impeller is only partly failed, you should get better cooling when running faster & pretty poor cooling at idle. The higher revs of the engine help the partial impeller move enough water only when running above idle.

2) The failed parts of the impeller (or something you sucked up - leaf, etc) are blocking the screen at the trans cooler & it's running warm most of the time or when you really push it.

Chevs often have a tendency to build up oil in heads during extended high rpms runs, i.e. it doesn't flow back to sump quite as fast as the oil pump is supplying it. This can lead to hot oil smell. Nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks for all the input, folks. Here's what I found: I pulled the cover off the impeller housing and the impeller is in great shape. At first I thought "WTF, the veins are all bent and distorted on one side!" - did I mention that this is my first inboard? Second, I pulled the hose off the tranny cooler and stuck my finger in there to inspect the screen. What did I find? A nice little blob of some seaweed along with a couple sunflower seeds, etc. It maybe was covering up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. BINGO - we have a winner! At least I'll believe that was the problem till I get her out again. I also took the hose off the intake side of the impeller to inspect it but found nothing in there.

My exhaust hoses appear to be in excellent shape, but that is from the outside. I know they can blister and crack on the inside if overheated. Should I inspect them also?

Thanks again for the responses. Biggrin.gif

My 2004 with Indmar 350 never goes over 160. If it ever started bouncing between 160 and 180, I'd first check the transmission cooler strainer and then change the impeller ASAP.

Thanks for all the input, folks. Here's what I found: I pulled the cover off the impeller housing and the impeller is in great shape. At first I thought "WTF, the veins are all bent and distorted on one side!" - did I mention that this is my first inboard? Second, I pulled the hose off the tranny cooler and stuck my finger in there to inspect the screen. What did I find? A nice little blob of some seaweed along with a couple sunflower seeds, etc. It maybe was covering up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the screen. BINGO - we have a winner! At least I'll believe that was the problem till I get her out again. I also took the hose off the intake side of the impeller to inspect it but found nothing in there.

My exhaust hoses appear to be in excellent shape, but that is from the outside. I know they can blister and crack on the inside if overheated. Should I inspect them also?

oops...never mind... Biggrin.gif

Sunflower seeds??? Just where in Lynnwood do you boat?

Yeah, I was surprised as hell to pull those out also. Lately I've been putting in Kennmore and there's that short stretch of the slew (although some call it a river) to get out into the north end of Lk Washington. The water in there is always kinda nasty. That's probably where I picked 'em up. Dontknow.gif

the 1997 response i just got runs at 170 all day so i checked the impeller and its ok so i checked the cooler and found weeds and rubber from the last pump and removed all the junk --ran it again still runs at 170 all day called the old owner he said thats were it ran sense it was new WHATS UP should i worry about this 10 deg

Yeah, I was surprised as hell to pull those out also. Lately I've been putting in Kennmore and there's that short stretch of the slew (although some call it a river) to get out into the north end of Lk Washington. The water in there is always kinda nasty. That's probably where I picked 'em up. Dontknow.gif

You might want to install raw water strainer if there is that much small debree in the water.

Congrats, ffdawg, looks like you found it.

i have a 95 sunsetter with a 454 and it doesnt even get to 140

They used to run 140 thermostats. The 160s were put in to get more warmth from the heaters.

the 1997 response i just got runs at 170 all day so i checked the impeller and its ok so i checked the cooler and found weeds and rubber from the last pump and removed all the junk --ran it again still runs at 170 all day called the old owner he said thats were it ran sense it was new WHATS UP should i worry about this 10 deg
If your impeller and cooler are good, then 170 shouldn't hurt you. However, it is possible you may have a prob with your stat, sender, or gauge. I would replace the thermostat--not expensive or hard to do--just for the heck of it. But, yeah, I'm a bit anal about the boat. YMMV

If it runs a constant 170 I wouldn't worry about it. If it spikes or moves around or doesn't seem to follow the warm up or cool down of the engine then I would definately replace it. It could be a previous owner replaced it with a 170 thermostat.