Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Getting to the Lake

srud

Just curious what everyone else does with all their gear when trailering the boat to the lake? I have a vRide which has the hard ballast tanks in the rear lockers that allows us to only store the kid's wakeboard and a pair of junior skis. The adult sized boards will not fit. Do you leave them on the floor of the boat? I was reluctant to do that for fear of them blowing around or completely out. Instead, I put them in the back of the Tahoe, which was pretty tight due to 3rd row seats being there. For the most part, the boat has tons of storage, but the ballast tanks are more of a problem that I thought they would be. For those of you that have v drives, I'd like to hear what you store and where in your boats. Just trying to get organized.

I close the windshield and put in the wind break. That way no wind is blowing through the boat.

We ALWAYS travel with 3 wakeboards and a surfboard on the floor of the boat. I leave my big board with bindings up, turn my wife's board over so it's bindings fit into mine and stick our kids board on it's side farther up closer to the wind block.

And I wedge the bimini along the back seat with towels around the ends to protect the vinyl.

I've found the walk through, just behind the wind block, is a great area to keep just about anything. Nothing flys out of there. And in front of the driver's seat is a good place too.

To Powell we'll trailer with all the boards, two+ Igloos, camping gear, etc. on the floor. Haven't had anything fly out.

Last week I even put the boards on top of the tube - becuase it was all wet and I wanted it to dry out on the way home, no problems.

Edited by chathamsolutions

I leave wakeboards and other items on the floor of the boat while trailering all the time and have never had a problem. I even leave my wakesurfer which is lighter than most boards in the front of the boat sometimes and it has never moved. As long as things are below the profile of the boat while driving they don't get pulled on too much by the wind.

I assume it is a bit tigher in a vride than an LSV though. I expect the risk of vinyl damage more than things flying out is more realistic in the vride, or any 21's.

But Thumbup.gif on the windshield and put in the wind break - this is a must if anything is in there.

As long as things are below the profile of the boat while driving they don't get pulled on too much by the wind.

I trailered this weekend without the windblock in place and lost the small access cover to my mid ballast tank and drain plug. Apparently blew right out of the boat on the way home. Mad.gif I should have known better because on a previous outing I found it underneath the drivers seat.

Definately leave the wind block in place if you're towing with anything inside the boat! We had 3 boards on the floor of the boat from Raleigh, NC to Annapolis, MD - roughly 5 hours, and towed the boat with it uncovered, and everything was still there when we got to MD.

I also tow my boat with stuff on the floor. I throw my jacket and anything else light weight under the driver's dash just for the extra security.

JV

Maybe its just me, but, I think is retarded that a wakeboard specific boat has no place to store or lock up an adult size wakeboard. Even w/ the bindings off.

If you need more storage, maybe take out the hard tanks and go with two bigger sacs.

This is my first season with a tower. . . .I have seen other boats in tow with the wakeboards in the racks. I take it from this thread that is a BAD idea. . . . is that right? (difference between 70mph and 45mph) If there is no harm, that would be convenient way to go.

I've typically stored items on the boat floor, placing them to avoid contact with the upholstery.

This is my first season with a tower. . . .I have seen other boats in tow with the wakeboards in the racks.  I take it from this thread that is a BAD idea. . . . is that right? (difference between 70mph and 45mph)  If there is no harm, that would be convenient way to go.

I've typically stored items on the boat floor, placing them to avoid contact with the upholstery.

I don't tow with boards in the rack unless it is a very short trip for 2 reasons:

• At highway speed there is alot more wind resistance on the boards (drag increases with the square of the speed so 70 mph is 4 times as much as 35 mph) This can cause the racks to leave scuffs and marks on the boards and for the boards to cut away at teh rack insulation
  • Any bugs, dust, or even small pieces of gravel can dirty or damage your boards.

I don't think there is much wind below the profile of the boat but up on the tower it is probably getting the brunt of it. This is why I take down my bimini if towing any distance as well.

Just curious what everyone else does with all their gear when trailering the boat to the lake?  I have a vRide which has the hard ballast tanks in the rear lockers that allows us to only store the kid's wakeboard and a pair of junior skis.  The adult sized boards will not fit.  Do you leave them on the floor of the boat?  I was reluctant to do that for fear of them blowing around or completely out.  Instead, I put them in the back of the Tahoe, which was pretty tight due to 3rd row seats being there.  For the most part, the boat has tons of storage, but the ballast tanks are more of a problem that I thought they would be.  For those of you that have v drives, I'd like to hear what you store and where in your boats.  Just trying to get organized.

My boards go on the floor...

Seems to me like a Rankin towable cover would probably solve the issue once and for all....

Dave

Exactly. I wouldn't go anywhere without the boat cover on. Then my boat cover does more than the ones you guys seem to use. See pic and the road grime (& cow crap) on the skirt. Rather hose this off than have to buff off the boat all the time.

If I want to leave my boat on its dock, the skirts zip off leaving the main cover in place and tight over the rub rail.

post-364-1117573367_thumb.jpg

I towed the boat 5 hours this weekend to Beaver Lake. I put the windblock in and close the windshield. Put one board on the floor in a board bag and one more wrapped in a towel. I put the vests, towels, and other stuff in the right rear locker. I've always done it this way, and I've never had an issue with anything coming out or damaging the upholstery.

This trip I also pulled the tank out of one side and replaced with a sac. I put a trickboardz, wakeskate, one wakeboard and three vests in that locker.

We travel with our boards on the floor. Had 3 wakeboards, 3 surfboards, canopy, and large tube on the floor this weekend. We don't put the wind block in and have never lost anything.

On short distances where we stay on roads that are less then 45 mph we keep boards and skis in the racks. If we go longer distances or at faster speeds we put the cover on and throw everything on the floor.

If you want more room, you can also use a Yakima ski/board rack. A wakeboard will fit snug in those racks. I have done that when space was limited.

I have always been worried about stuff blowing out of the boat, so the boards are ethier in the back of the expedition, or we take the bindings off and put all the boards in the port side storage locker and put towels in between them. so far we were able to fit 3 wakeboards a wake skate and my 6'1 wakesurf board (with out the fins). Maybe ill try the floor thing... maybe ill just tie it down just in case, cant be too safe

Maybe its just me, but, I think is retarded that a wakeboard specific boat has no place to store or lock up an adult size wakeboard. Even w/ the bindings off.

If you need more storage, maybe take out the hard tanks and go with two bigger sacs.

My VLX does. I can get at least one board in each rear storage compartment. Had 2 on one side the other day.

As Buzz mentions, on the new Malibu V-drives with ballast under floor, you can fit wakeboards in the back storage compartments on both sides. Usually two/side with bindings, a bunch probably without.

To be honest, this was a major reason I sold my '04 Supra SSV and bought the VLX. As big as the Supra was, storage sucked. With the "stadium seating" option, you lost all storage under the back seat, and half the side as well. Wakeboards would not fit in the back, front, or basement. I hated that.

Regardless, on my short trips to the lake I typically just lay the wakeboards in the floor of the boat, and have never had a problem.

we always just throw them in the burban. there's only 3 boards and a 5'6" surfer, my dad's skis go in the back ski locker, and the pylon goes on the floor. i'm always terrified i'm going to lose an EXTREMELY expensive piece of equipment when i just throw them in the boat.

andy, we just grin and bear it. really though, i wish we had those cool covers like you do. that thing is freakin' sweet!

p.s. i thought for sure we were the only ones that had fullsize chevy trucks.

Almost true. There are some of us here who appreciate nice things. Trouble is they come at a huge $ penalty - new 2005 Chevy Silverado SS is $NZ125,000 including conversion to right hand drive. At the current rate of exchange, that's $US87,500!

An H2 Hummer weighs in at $US130,000 converted.

Various Dodges are available at similar numbers to the Silverado, and surprisingly there are quite a few of them around.