Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Life Jacket causes rash on chin

chathamsolutions

Last year at Powell and Trinity our kids developed a rash on their chins from rubbing against their life jackets. It happens when they wear their jackets for extended periods of time. The rubbing against the jacket chaffs their skin.

Yesterday we noticed our toddler starting to get one, after wearing it all day Sat and Mon. Not a good sign. He's the least likely of our kids to deal with it well.

I think the CFO tried putting Vaseline on their chins to help at Powell/Trinity - with slight benefits.

Anyone have something they do to help with this.

Our older boy has the same problem with the Jobe neoprene vest that he's grown into. Our younger son is still in a smaller, nylon vest & neither boy has had a problem with that style of vest. At this point I think it's 1 of 2 things causing it - either the vest is a little too large for them & rides up, causing the chafing, or the style is the problem. I'm tempted to buy a different vest that is nylon to see if that works better for the older boy.

What style of vest are you using.

We have used the vinly vests and have not had any problems with rashes. Are the vest to large.

We see this on our kids when the neoprene vest is a little big and rides up on them. We did not see this very much with the old vests (nylon).

We see this on our kids when the neoprene vest is a little big and rides up on them.  We did not see this very much with the old vests (nylon).

That's what I'm thinking. The older nylon vests have a lot less material at the top that won't ride up even on a vest that's a bit big. The neoprenes seem to have much more material on the shouders & chest area.

Here's the jacket: LINK

It's a neo. He's apx. 26 lbs, and this vest should fit him until he's 30lb. He's not big enough to move to a larger vest.

We do have a nylon infant vest. I'll try that one. Unfortunately it's bright yellow (Highlighter yellow) and pink. I just don't know if I can put that on my boy...

Rotating to a different style vest will probably help. But I do know we've had the same chin issue with one of our daughters and a nylon vest.

If the kids are constantly in the water, and the vest rides up on their chin while their playing, I don't think it matters what the material is.

At this point we're just looking at slathering them with vaseline, and maybe rotating the baby's vest, unless someone has a better idea. At Powell, on a houseboat, he'll literally LIVE in the vest. Only time he won't have it on is when he's sleeping in our room with the door closed.

We see this on our kids when the neoprene vest is a little big and rides up on them.

Exactly what I've seen in the past with our kids -- we did see it with nylon jackets too. Just the jaket riding up. Fix was better fitting jackets and rash guard seemed to help even though it doesn't cover the chin.

LIkely this is simply an irritation dermatitis. The vest is probably trapping moisture with extended wear and with the heat and dampness the skin is screaming " Cry.gif I DON'T LIKE THESE CONDITIONS!!"

So what to do? Always safety first. Don't leave the vest off obviously.

have an "in the water" vest and a dry vest to limit damp skin

Any barrier between moisture and the skin is good. A big, dry cotton shirt or something wrapping the vest and keeping most of the dampness off the skin may work.

Also, "breather periods" where direct supervised jacket-free periods to let the jacket and the child air out are taken. Only when the boat is at rest and always supervised by mom or dad. (siblings don't count). I'm always a little hesitant to offer this advice (safety first)

If it doesn't clear up in a couple days, then a couple days of hydrocortisone (limit facial applications) should clear it right up!

See if it helps?

Edited by Malibudoc

My kids have the same problem. I use "easy glide". I found the stuff when I ran a marathon last year. (Any good running shop or sporting goods store) Runners use it when they go on long runs to keep the shirt and shorts from making your inner thighs and nipples bleed Shocking.gif It really helps. I still use it on runs of greater than 10 miles or if it is raining out. It worked great on the vest rash... just remember to re apply four or five times per day.

Andy, have the Mrs. alter the vest. A slight "V" right where the chin goes works wonders. You have to open each side, cut away a bit of flotation material at an angle, and restitch. Shhh, don't tell the coast guard.

Ahhhh, Duct tape.

Duct tape is like The Force: It has a light side and a dark side and it keeps the world together.