Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard rack problems

idaman

I bought the skylon tribal racks since they mayched the malibu tribal logo so well and was very happy with them at first. Now I am getting a little frustrating with them and wondering if anybody would have a solution. My first issue is that the rubber molding is starting to wear pretty bad which is normal, but I have not even had them 2 full seasons yet. My biggest issue is that my boards are always clattering together pretty bad in choppy water. It is bad enough to start tearing my boards up. It also will not hold the boards in place very well. When cruising long distances I will glance up to find one or two of the boards barely hanging on by the edge of the binding.

Has anyone ran into this issue? Is there something I can make and where would I find the rubber to make it out of? I called skylon and they informed me that all the newer racks have been redesigned and there is nothing I can do. Someone help before I throw these in the trash.

Thanks in advance,

I bought the skylon tribal racks since they mayched the malibu tribal logo so well and was very happy with them at first. Now I am getting a little frustrating with them and wondering if anybody would have a solution. My first issue is that the rubber molding is starting to wear pretty bad which is normal, but I have not even had them 2 full seasons yet. My biggest issue is that my boards are always clattering together pretty bad in choppy water. It is bad enough to start tearing my boards up. It also will not hold the boards in place very well. When cruising long distances I will glance up to find one or two of the boards barely hanging on by the edge of the binding.

Has anyone ran into this issue? Is there something I can make and where would I find the rubber to make it out of? I called skylon and they informed me that all the newer racks have been redesigned and there is nothing I can do. Someone help before I throw these in the trash.

Thanks in advance,

Let me know before you trash them!

The rubber is from HD/Lowes, easy to repair. The problem is the clap, this clap you cannot get any shots to fix. You need a dose of eBay for those and a shop for the replacement. I hate racks that clap!!! Clap.gifClap.gif:clap:Clap.gif

I have had Titans and Nice that are anti-clap, won't experiment with anything new until I see a crew member come back here bitchin' about their rack clap. Then I mark the brand/model off my list of acceptable racks!

I thought we were lovin the Nice racks.

I have had an intermittant clap problem with my stock skylon bat racks but easily fixed with a Little Elm Pharmacy koozie or 2 - the LE RX chip clips are no help at all Whistling.gif

Other solution was to not carry wakeboards Surfing.gif

I think I may have found a solution. Apparantly the newer rack moldings can be easily modified. WIll let you guys know how it works if anyone has had this problem

Thanks in advance,

The new moldings will probably not help with this issue, it was one that we had with the Skylon products (among others). The solution that we found was to try to put similar sized boards together, or at least to put the larger, wider board on top. The ultimate solution was to go with Titan on the new boat. Biggrin.gif

I had this problem in spades with the Malibu (Metcraft) racks for the Illusion X. I posted the same question last year and several folks suggested slapping beer cozy between the boards for a quick and cheap fix.

The next cheapest solution turned out to be to get a different wakeboard. The racks clap worst when you have a 3-stage rocker board with a large flat spot. I went from an HL Premier to an HL Murray and now I get no clap with other boards.

Next step up is to add a third wakeboard rack to hold those 3-stage boards that like to smack any board they are paired with. I added a third rack so that if the boat is full of boarders, I can put any large 3-stage boards on the third rack by themselves and fill up the other two with boards that aren't likely to touch each other.

I looked into getting two new racks and would have been out way too much $$ to justify it. One of the three options above is probably going to be what you have to do.

Just can't give up the LF shane. I love that board. I would rather buy all new racks. Don't think I could part with my lf trip either.