Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

VTX owners

tmacwake

The VTX is our 2nd boat, 1st was a 02' DD Sunsetter (great boat!!) Anyway my question is that I am still learning (re-learning) how to handle this particular boat. For instance when I pull around to pick up a downed rider, I go just the same wasy I did with our previous boat and I have been taking water over the bow. This is very frustrating. I try to be very aware of rollers, speed, boat position etc. and still water was creeping over and in one case "gushed" over. Cry.gif This was rarely an issue before. Just so you know I had stock ballast (4-tanks) filled and 7 people, no wedge. By the way the wake was really nice!!! I am realizing that this is a totally different boat than our DD, it takes quite a bit longer to plane out (we have the 340 Monsoon). I am also wondering if the length of the boat (20 ft.) has anything to do with the handling, shorter and wider? I notice that when I am in the water the nose of the boat when coming back to me is only about 3-4 inches above water. It seems like this particular model would sit a little higher... The water over the nose is just plain frustrating, but I will figure it out. Other than this minor issue, I love everything else about this boat. It is first class through and through. Thumbup.gif

Any similar experience shared would be appreciated and helpful, thanks.

Obviously I have the VTX's big sister, but one thing that I've come to realize is that while there is a lot of side hull to these boats (they're tall on a trailer), they do sit very deep in the water & it's very easy to take water over the bow if you get yourself out of position. The biggest thing is to not put the boat straight on into the rollers, try take them on the side of the boat, or at least at an angle. If you do get out of position & have to take them straight on, don't power into them. Go to neutral & that will help minimize the scooping effect.

I took some rollers, on my v-ride, when we first got the boat. I have learned to wait just a hair longer so the rollers will pass. I had a DD last year and thought with so much more freeboard I wouldn't have to worry. I was wrong I got the boat good and wet the first time we turned around to pick someone up. I forgot I have added ballast and the rollers are larger.

Congrats on the new boat! It is beautiful.

I'm going to build on what Tracie and John said because you've hit on one of my pet peeves. After your rider falls, put your boat in neutral and glide to a stop (it happens quickly with your ballast especially). Then turn and idle back to the rider. This will alleviate your problem and will also help you not to send rollers all across the lake. 90% of the rollers are from boats power turning and there is no reason for it. If you could make sure to turn towards shore that would make me really, really happy if you live in Indiana too. Clap.gif

For reference I'm test driving VLX's and think that they stay higher in the bow through the ruff stuff than my DD Nautique.

If you have to go through rollers hit them at an angle (again as Tracie said) and let off the throttle when you are on top of them, no earlier.

If you turn the wheel as you're pulling back to idle, you'll find that the boat will spin on its fins as you're waiting for the rollers to pass & you can get it back in gear more quickly. It will spin you inside of the rollers instead of outside, that way you can get moving back to the rider more quickly. There's a bit of a trick to it, but a little practice will help you find how to do it right.

Rider falls - pull to idle until the boat stops and rollers go by - turn to left at idle speed - idle to rider and circle on right side - pull up rider.

You will never get a roller and you won't screw up the water like all the rest of the evil power turners (You know who you are) and you pick your rider up just as fast as if you powerturn and you don't have to worry about rollers over the bow. This works for every boat.

If you turn the wheel as you're pulling back to idle, you'll find that the boat will spin on its fins as you're waiting for the rollers to pass & you can get it back in gear more quickly. It will spin you inside of the rollers instead of outside, that way you can get moving back to the rider more quickly. There's a bit of a trick to it, but a little practice will help you find how to do it right.

I will have to try this one on wed...as long as the rain stays away.

Yeah, if you turn the wheel completely, right before you go to neutral it will spin inside of its own wake while you're in neutral. I personally don't think it matters whether you go left or right with the boat equally weighted. I like to go right, but that's my own preference.

As others have said the key is to stop before turning back around to your rider. My protocol is: 1. Bump boat back into neutral. 2. once slowed bump throttle in reverse to help swing the boat around, turn to right and pick up rider.

i do just as most of the others stated. i either pull it into nutrual and wait for the rolers to pass then put it back in gear and turn around. or as Tracie had said if you pull it into nutrual as you turn the weal all the way the boat will turn real sharp in between the rollers, then procede back to your rider. Thumbup.gif

Plus1.gif Same for us as well. There's no reason when the riders falls to turn around in a fast paste speed. I just slowdown to idle as well then turn around and slowly approach my rider. This serves two purposes. One keeping the boat dry up front and two you don't swamp your rider with the rolling waves which sucks.
Yeah, if you turn the wheel completely, right before you go to neutral it will spin inside of its own wake while you're in neutral. I personally don't think it matters whether you go left or right with the boat equally weighted. I like to go right, but that's my own preference.

We go left due the counter clockwise lake rule, but I think there are few that know or even care.

We go left due the counter clockwise lake rule, but I think there are few that know or even care.

Yeah, we have 2 lakes that I know of in Oregon that have that rule.

You should go left then right so you can see your rider when going around them. my 2¢

I'm not sure I understand the difference between going left then right vs. going right then right. How is the rider more visible by going left when doing your turnaround?

Thanks for all your replies. It makes a lot of sense. We are going out in about three weeks, I should have it mastered by the end of that trip. Oh by the way I do turn right and then right around the rider. I was taught this way so that your eyes are on the rider the whole time. Anyway, once again, thank you.

Plus1.gif Same for us as well. There's no reason when the riders falls to turn around in a fast paste speed. I just slowdown to idle as well then turn around and slowly approach my rider. This serves two purposes. One keeping the boat dry up front and two you don't swamp your rider with the rolling waves which sucks.

And most importantly doesn't send rollers down the line!

I just punch it, it's a boat get it drenched. I power turn with everything the HH has, gunning it all the way. Sometimes I shoot past the rider so I can make another power turn back. Then when picking up my rider I look for all the kiddies yelling to not tear up the water and that this is their spot and blah blah then I moon them and encourage them to come tell me to my face...They never do.

I just punch it, it's a boat get it drenched. I power turn with everything the HH has, gunning it all the way. Sometimes I shoot past the rider so I can make another power turn back. Then when picking up my rider I look for all the kiddies yelling to not tear up the water and that this is their spot and blah blah then I moon them and encourage them to come tell me to my face...They never do.

No.gif

U do not!!!

i think we have found the next feature wally for the wake outlaws site Biggrin.gif

i love that pic of surfin behind the barbie boat ROFL.gif

Wakegirl - The left would be port and the right would be starboard. You go around the rider on starboard so you can see them when you are turning around them.

Wakegirl - The left would be port and the right would be starboard. You go around the rider on starboard so you can see them when you are turning around them.

I understand that (I do have some experience in this after all). What I don't understand is your comment about going left. Why do think that that gives more visibility than going right?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm talking about these statements that you made, the ones in bold. I'm not asking about port/starboard & I'm not asking about turning around the rider.

Rider falls - pull to idle until the boat stops and rollers go by - turn to left at idle speed - idle to rider and circle on right side - pull up rider.
You should go left then right so you can see your rider when going around them. my 2¢
Edited by WakeGirl

haha Yahoo.gifBiggrin.gifThumbup.gif

My VTX is more of a submarine than my 03 VLX was, if you are in rollers you need to gas it over a bit. I agree too that the time to plane is slower, but I figured a heavier boat. All that being said the ability of the boat to go from mid level slalom, to no ballast kids boarding, to full ballast full wedge wakes is awesome. I love the fact that i can take the crest off the wake for the kids at about 15mph, my vlx was about 16.5 to 17.

Also I suspect the cats have sucked a little juice out of the 340, still seems a bit unsnappy to me after logging some hours. Apples to apples my 335hp vlx was 3 mph faster. Maybe just the hull though????