Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Titan vs. Illusion

MadDogMike

I've been out of boating/boarding for a couple of years for financial reasons...now ready to jump back in. I used to have a VLX with the Titan I tower. I loved the strength of it and the ease of folding it down, but never really liked the look of it. I like the looks Titan II and III a little better, but I love the looks of the Illusion X. Is it as strong and rattle-free as the Titans? (I read something about a rattle, but also saw an easy way to fix it.) How about folding it down? Can it be done with one person, like the Titan?

The illusion is very easy to fold down. I've only done it once and had a friend help by pushing up on the tower to take the weight off the pins and they slid right out with no problem. Then the garage door springs that are installed as a counterweight make it so light to lower down with only one person. I would think you could get it down with one person, but it might be a little more difficult to push up on the tower and pull the pins at the same time. It literally took me about 35 seconds to lower it with me and a friend.

Edited by jtrovato
I've been out of boating/boarding for a couple of years for financial reasons...now ready to jump back in. I used to have a VLX with the Titan I tower. I loved the strength of it and the ease of folding it down, but never really liked the look of it. I like the looks Titan II and III a little better, but I love the looks of the Illusion X. Is it as strong and rattle-free as the Titans? (I read something about a rattle, but also saw an easy way to fix it.) How about folding it down? Can it be done with one person, like the Titan?

I had an Illusion X installed on my Sunscape last summer. Very solid. No rattle whatsoever.

If ordered from the factory, it can come spring-loaded, making it much easier to fold down.

When I was in the market, there was not a significant difference in price IIRC. I spoke with

owner of dealership (WSA), and he said that if he put five boats on the lot, one with the Titan and

four with the Illusion, the boat with the Titan would be the last one sold: you're not the only one who

loves the looks.

My illusion tower is rattle free and very solid. However, I would consider a titan due to more headroom.

From an engineering stand point, the Illusion tower is not as stable/strong as the Titan. I like the look of the Illusion but the way it's mounted it will always have more flex the the Titan.

My illusion tower is rattle free and very solid. However, I would consider a titan due to more headroom.

Having had both towers I would say the headroom with the bimini open is more with the Illusion than the Titan. But, with the Titan the speakers are installed above the Bimini.

The Titan versions I & II by far is the stiffest tower on the market. The Illusion does sway a bit and I've heard some gel cracking as a result.

I lhave owned both the Illusion and Titan II.

I have not had any gel cracking with both my Illisions. I did have cracking around my Titan II.

As far as stiffness... By design I would think the Titan would be stiffer. But, I do not notice any flex with my Illusion even with 4 boards and 4 WetSounds hanging from it.

The Bimini on the Illusion is sweet!!! A little high for some and may let a little more sun under. Never take it down even trailering to and from the ramp.

The speaker placement on the Illusion is lower than the Titan and under the Bimini. So, you are going to hear them in the boat more so than the Titan.

Wiring speakers and lights on the Illusion is much easier!

There are pros and cons to both... So, I think it really comes down to preference IMO!