Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Exhaust Tips

rkgallagher

Is there anyone that has upgrade their exhaust tips for a '02 Response LX? If so, what steps were required to do the removal and installation? Any tips or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

i haven't done it, but when I asked Peter about doing the silent tips, he said for the RLX the gas tank did have to be removed.

Are you looking for the tips to be more flashy or for the sound suppression? If sound, you know there are inlines that can be installed in exhaust hose, right?

• 4 weeks later...
Are you looking for the tips to be more flashy or for the sound suppression? If sound, you know there are inlines that can be installed in exhaust hose, right?
inlines Anthony Lee here from Australia interested in quiet and not flash tell us more
inlines Anthony Lee here from Australia interested in quiet and not flash tell us more

Also would turn downs be better ? And keep the back clean ? Anthony

What is the proper way to remove the existing exhaust flaps/tips without damaging the boat? We bought the new stainless steel tips and want to install them properly. Any suggestions on the right type of silicone is appreciated. Thanks.

More.

• 2 years later...

It is an easy job, but a bit messy. Remove the screws, use a gasket remover to get between the hull and current exhaust tip to separate from the hull, another option is to go from the inside and use a block of wood and knock the exhuast tip away from the hull. Clean the surface. I installed larger tips so I had to enlarge the existing hole, but if not, just install the new tips with a good waterproof sealer available at any good hardware store. Don't forget to use stainless screws on new install. If going bigger also make sure you check tiller clearance.

Turn downs will be quieter.

It is an easy job, but a bit messy. Remove the screws, use a gasket remover to get between the hull and current exhaust tip to separate from the hull, another option is to go from the inside and use a block of wood and knock the exhuast tip away from the hull. Clean the surface. I installed larger tips so I had to enlarge the existing hole, but if not, just install the new tips with a good waterproof sealer available at any good hardware store. Don't forget to use stainless screws on new install. If going bigger also make sure you check tiller clearance.

Turn downs will be quieter.

Using a strap wrench helped me to twist the old exhaust tips out in addition to using a scraper to break through the old sealant.post-10115-126875491944_thumb.jpg

Where is the best place to get STE's? I am looking for some sound sound supression, exhaust fume reduction when surfing and BLING!

Where is the best place to get STE's? I am looking for some sound sound supression, exhaust fume reduction when surfing and BLING!

I just got mine from Bakes. They were a lot cheaper than my local dealer. The old exhaust ports will not budge. What is the best way to remove the old silicone? On the outside of the boat the exhaust port will not move at all so I can't get a razor blade in there. My old exhaust ports look like they were run over by a lawnmover I have pulled, cranked and chiped away so much at these things. Is there anything I can do from the inside of the boat to make it easier?

• 3 years later...

For anyone else doing this install, Try this:

On the outside of the boat where the exhaust port exits the transom, take a putty knife and work it under the entire flange to break the silicon seal. Then a strap wrench will do the rest.

Edited by ajinid