Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preventing Scratches?

dluttr

Hey Wakegirl,

Still waiting to hear back from you. After seeing his picture, I really really really want one of these covers! :)

Shawn

You were one of the first to respond, so I think that I've got enough for you. I had so many responses though that I'm trying to find out if I can get more to accommodate.

Hey everyone:

Thanks for your posts and advice. I like the idea of the Transom Saver. However, I especially like the idea of adding a thin sheet of clear plastic, after the scratches are removed first, of course.

You can see what I'm talking about from the picture of my transom.

Any other ideas are appreciated Biggrin.gif

post-3584-1182252797_thumb.jpg

Good Grief! When you said "scratches", I was also thinking on a much smaller scale! For our tiny scratches, we use a sharpie permanent marker to cover scratches...works great on our black boat, and I have also used a red sharpie on a Sea-Doo. Your scratches are on a much larger scale...looks like you need to purchase a buffing wheel!

You may need to do some wet sanding to get those out and tell who ever is back there to be more careful Dontknow.gif

Hey Wakegirl,

Still waiting to hear back from you. After seeing his picture, I really really really want one of these covers! :)

Shawn

You were one of the first to respond, so I think that I've got enough for you. I had so many responses though that I'm trying to find out if I can get more to accommodate.

Don't forget about me ...... Clap.gif

Hey everyone:

Thanks for your posts and advice. I like the idea of the Transom Saver. However, I especially like the idea of adding a thin sheet of clear plastic, after the scratches are removed first, of course.

You can see what I'm talking about from the picture of my transom.

Any other ideas are appreciated Biggrin.gif

post-3584-1182252797_thumb.jpg

We had the thin plastic on the last boat & it worked okay until someone ( Whistling.gif ) punched the back of the boat with a surfboard tip & put a rip in it. This was the thicker headlight material too, not the thinner stuff (we had that stuff on first & it lasted less than a season). It was also the good 3M brand, not some cheapo off brand. So with the current boat we just stayed with the transom saver. It protects probably 90-95% of the whacks that the transom takes.

I have a transom pad picked up a while back in the group buy and it works great.....However, I rarely put it on because I don't allow people to put their boards on while on the swim platform! I don't see any reason why anyone needs to stand on the platform with the wakeboard smacking in to the back of my boat. I can easily get my board on while sitting on the platform with the board in the water and expect those who ride with me to do the same. I have stiff closed toe bindings and have no problems getting them on my feet with the help of a little lube once in a while.

Works for me and so far no scratches on my transom. I really bought the transom pad for surfing in case the board flies towards the boat on a fall. I usually forget to put it on though and so far I have been lucky!

Forgive me for the stupid question, but HOW in the world do you get scratches that high up on your transom?

Those look like they are 6"-10" above the platform. How do you put your boards/skis on?????

Step 1: Put board on platform (preferably away from transom).

Step 2: Stand up and put feet in board.

Step 3: Tiny hops forward until board is half way over platform....point toes down...board slides in.

(or....1 giant hop FORWARD into water and make a splash). worst case scenario, your hair and boat gets wet.

When done, gently place board/ski on platform and get out of water.

Unfortunately many of these scratches occurred while riders were putting the board on/off. I didn't have this problem with scratches on my 02 Sunsetter. One reason being that the transom was white, so the scratches, if any, didn't show as much.

Live and learn!

• 2 weeks later...
I have my new 07 VLX I picked up this May. The main hull and deck is black and gray. The first time out and each time thereafter, the back of the boat, just above the swim platform, keeps getting scratched (it's dark blue in the area), by the wakeboards, as they're put on and taken off by the riders.

How can I prevent these scratches from occurring? I'm already going to have to have the current ones removed somehow, but I need a way to prevent them.

Any advice?

Well, I just got my brand new vRide delivered to Spain last week. So far so good, until some ---- Mad.gif did scratch the port side of my beautiful Dark Blue/Midnight Blue vRide hull (without stickers) with its boat. Not a major one, just 1 inch scratch. Could anyone give my some advice on how to get ride of the scratch or at least cover it as much as possible Cry.gif

Thanks.