Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Preventing Scratches?

dluttr

I have my new 07 VLX I picked up this May. The main hull and deck is black and gray. The first time out and each time thereafter, the back of the boat, just above the swim platform, keeps getting scratched (it's dark blue in the area), by the wakeboards, as they're put on and taken off by the riders.

How can I prevent these scratches from occurring? I'm already going to have to have the current ones removed somehow, but I need a way to prevent them.

Any advice?

I have my new 07 VLX I picked up this May. The main hull and deck is black and gray. The first time out and each time thereafter, the back of the boat, just above the swim platform, keeps getting scratched (it's dark blue in the area), by the wakeboards, as they're put on and taken off by the riders.

How can I prevent these scratches from occurring? I'm already going to have to have the current ones removed somehow, but I need a way to prevent them.

Any advice?

Transom Pad...we had a group buy a month or so ago so I'm not sure if you can still get one or not. I would pm wakegirl and ask her becuase she was the one who organized it. I just got one and I'm looking forward to putting mine on since I just spent 6 hours on father's day getting the a lot of scratches off my boat and specifically the transom.

The only way to truly prevent scatches, is not to use the boat... All kidding aside, providing your using common sense in the first place, learning how to take care of them when they occur is the best approach.

The only way to truly prevent scatches, is not to use the boat... All kidding aside, providing your using common sense in the first place, learning how to take care of them when they occur is the best approach.

True in most cases but the issue here is people getting into the ski/wakeboard do tend to tap the transom, so a transom pad would prevent that specific issue. We are all anal about our boats kinda of hard no to be when they cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :(

True in most cases but the issue here is people getting into the ski/wakeboard do tend to tap the transom, so a transom pad would prevent that specific issue. We are all anal about our boats kinda of hard no to be when they cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. :(

I submit to you with all due respect, but, the title of the thread was scratches and how to prevent them, as in anywhere on the boat.

Transom pad is a no brainer. You will never get folks to not bump into the transom while strapping in. Also helps for when wakesurf boards fly forward off of the wake and bang into the bakck of your boat.

I submit to you with all due respect, but, the title of the thread was scratches and how to prevent them, as in anywhere on the boat.

You may want to re-read the first comment which specifically mentions the area above the swim platform...with all due respect of course!!!!!!!!! ;)

Edited by CLOUT1

Years ago we did this to our platforms. It would be hard to do to a Fiberglass one though. I have seen people use clear tape that is used on the front of cars on the transom too. All in all, the transom guard Wakegirl has is the best and the one with TheMalibuCrew.com site logo works the best of all. Yahoo.gif

post-5-1182221897_thumb.jpg

You may want to re-read the first comment which specifically mentions the area above the swim platform...with all due respect of course!!!!!!!!! ;)

I'd submit that CLOUT1 is correct... Crazy.gif

I've got some clear plastic stuck on the transom. It works great & is barely visable, even at the edges.

It's about 0.75mm thick and guess appears to be similar to the clear sticky stuff used to be able to buy to put on snow skis to keep the tops scratch free.

Hey everyone:

Thanks for your posts and advice. I like the idea of the Transom Saver. However, I especially like the idea of adding a thin sheet of clear plastic, after the scratches are removed first, of course.

You can see what I'm talking about from the picture of my transom.

Any other ideas are appreciated Biggrin.gif

post-3584-1182252797_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone:

Thanks for your posts and advice. I like the idea of the Transom Saver. However, I especially like the idea of adding a thin sheet of clear plastic, after the scratches are removed first, of course.

Sheesh! I thought you were crying about some little bitty scratches. From the looks of those, I'd say it is past due time to find new crew members.

Hey everyone:

Holy geeeeezzzz!!! Cry.gif Are you sure one of them Tennessee mountain bears isn't trying to use your BU as his cave and your platform as a step up into the cave!!! I am from Kingsport TN Crazy.gif and know that you shouldn't leave food around or the bears will find it......do you empty your cooler when your finish for the day???

Hey everyone:

Sheesh! I thought you were crying about some little bitty scratches. From the looks of those, I'd say it is past due time to find new crew members.

:lol: That's the first thing that popped into my head too...

I'd submit that CLOUT1 is correct... Crazy.gif

I got one right!!!!!!!! Only took me 200 posts but I finally got one right!!! Yahoo.gifROFL.gifCrazy.gif

Hey everyone:

Good Grief! When you said "scratches", I was also thinking on a much smaller scale! For our tiny scratches, we use a sharpie permanent marker to cover scratches...works great on our black boat, and I have also used a red sharpie on a Sea-Doo. Your scratches are on a much larger scale...looks like you need to purchase a buffing wheel!

Here's a link to my transom pad, a la the TMC Group Buy.

Works well for preventing the scratches you have outlined.

Mook.

Transom Pad

I must be blind.....can someone specifically point out where the transom pad is in that pic?

Hey Wakegirl,

Still waiting to hear back from you. After seeing his picture, I really really really want one of these covers! :)

Shawn

If you are somehow stuck with the crew you have, then it is clearly time for a new rule: "If you have been a past scratcher, or think you might scratch this time, Then put your stinkin' board/ski on only after you are completely in the water and away from this expensive and pretty boat. Period!"

Forgive me for the stupid question, but HOW in the world do you get scratches that high up on your transom?

Those look like they are 6"-10" above the platform. How do you put your boards/skis on?????

Step 1: Put board on platform (preferably away from transom).

Step 2: Stand up and put feet in board.

Step 3: Tiny hops forward until board is half way over platform....point toes down...board slides in.

(or....1 giant hop FORWARD into water and make a splash). worst case scenario, your hair and boat gets wet.

When done, gently place board/ski on platform and get out of water.