Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon 340 rev limiter?

Is there a rev limiter on the monsoon 340, if so when does it kick in. I was messing with the new prop this weekend and my rpm's were shooting up past 5300. I believe the max rmp of this motor is 5250, but was able to get it up to 5300 and immediately backed off. I really think I could have gotten more rpm's out of it, as I had more throttle left. I was able to get to 5300 with the ACME 537 as well. Anyone have any insight on this?

I have an 04VLX with the Monsoon340. I had the same thing going on. Hit the rev limiter around 5500-5600rpm. I think that occasional operation up to the limiter is OK, but continous operation could reduce your engine life, just like a car. The good news is I believe this means your engine actually is above the labled 340 HP especially if the 537 in Wasington is hitting the limiter. I live in Florida so the elevation thing gets me

It gets up to the 5300 really easily and quickly and know that it has more. So if the max rpm of the engine is 5250 from Indmar why is the rev limiter at 5500-5600?

By the way aren't you guys at sea level there in florida? I mean the highest point in Florida is only 345 feet above sea level..

Edited by 06vlx

Rev limiter should be at 5250, but that doesn't mean that it will engage. Every boat & motor is different. I've been able to go to 5500 on another boat, but I can't get past 5250 on the current one, even though technically they both should engage at the same spot. Elevation shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not it engages at a certain rpm. If your rev limiter isn't engaging until 5500-5600, count yourself lucky. :)

Rev limiter should be at 5250, but that doesn't mean that it will engage. Every boat & motor is different. I've been able to go to 5500 on another boat, but I can't get past 5250 on the current one, even though technically they both should engage at the same spot. Elevation shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not it engages at a certain rpm. If your rev limiter isn't engaging until 5500-5600, count yourself lucky. :)

Agreed, no stock motor is made to run at 5500 rpm's for very long, the rev limiter is set at the PCM and can only be changed with the right program. Some dealers are able to do it and some are not!!

Next time out I'll see if I can hit the rev limiter, I just normally don't let it over 5200 rpm as a rule. We'll see what happens, if it goes pop I'll have to ask you guys to kindly delete this post :)

Elevation shouldn't have anything to do with whether or not it engages at a certain rpm.

Not the RPM at which it engages, but the engine's ability to hit it.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

I put the 1235 back on and had a ton of people in the boat, I will say that it did plane nicely given all the weight. I've decided to keep it. Now I wanted to see where my rev limiter would kick in with this prop. I had it pegged going 43 mph at 5500 rpm's and never did hit the rev limiter. I only kept it there for about 10 seconds. Looks as though mine is set really high if it's even there.