Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

21.5 or 23 .... 2005 ???

goochy

Once again I think the 2001 VLX " MIGHT " be sold... Not sure what to buy.. I rode behind both boats in the last two weeks.. The 23 ft big wake stock ballast, drove it , it was NICE !! Shocking.gif Rode behind a 2005 VLX Sat with stock ballast and a extra 900 lbs.. IT was HUGE !!!! Surprised.gifSurprised.gif . Did not drive it. I ride a sky ski at 26 mph and both wakes were BIG . I like the extra space in the 23 ft , but my wife wakeboards so SHE wants a perfect wake ! She LOVES our 2001 VLX with 500 ( factory MLS ) 300 in hall, 100 under bow seats, and 500 on each side of the engine , its HUGE !!!! She rides 20.8 mph and its perfect no whitewash at 70 ft ( total ) . What to get if mine sells !!! I love both boats !!

I'd say (and this will sound stupid to some) but where ya going to store it? A VLX fits nicely in my garage. LSV, no way unless I remove the wedge and platform. (PITA every time the boat goes out...) For me it was logistics, though the LSV is a BADA$$ boat I went VLX.

P

We went through the same discussion and opted for the LSV. The larger size is great and the stock ballast is a fine. Either way, do get the WakeSetter package if big wakes are a must. The bow ballast matched with the mid-ship and rear tanks makes a difference. Thumbup.gif

We had 3 adults and 8 kids out today without tripping all over each other. Can't do that in a 21.5'.

Wait until we weight down my 23 before making your decision. I think you are going to love the extra space. More room for the vending machine :) It will also fit the new dock at the Scrugs ramp much better Innocent.gif

Thanks for the ride on Sunday! Really enjoyed not having to drive for a day. I will have some pictures posted in the next several days.

Edited by larrys

both are really sweet rides, rode Monday in my friends 24 Tige, it was huge inside too , and rode good in the rough water. I'm leaning towards the 23 ft with all the stock ballast ( ft , mid, rear ) . Larry we had fun too !! I'll get you fly n on the sky ski soon !! Storage , building a shed, so thats not a big deal. How should we SINK larrys 23 ft yall ???? He has ALL stock ballast and we want to add 300-500 on each side of the engine, is that a good ideal ? We are going out soon with him in his boat and they are going to borrow my fat sacks and pumps. I have two 350 lbs bags and two 500 lbs bags .

as far as fitting the boat in the garage also check the height of the different towers when laying down. i had to make my garage a foot taller to fit the illusion tower when laying down. not sure if the sides of the two boats are the same height or not. i got the 05 vlx because i could not fit a 23 in the garage even with the platform off. they are both awesome boats. mike.

We had ours and another family, plus another couple and a sister. 14 people total.

If we wouldn't have had the 23' it would been a nightmare. We were on the water for 6 hours. After about 3 hours we let the couple off. But never dropped anyone at the beach, stayed in the boat the whole day.

There's just a little more space in teh 23. If you plan on having a big crowd all the time, it's a no brainer. If it's just a couple of you then get the LSV it's plenty big.

I had an 04 LSV (same as 05) and I currently have the 05 VLX. They are both awesome in their own way. The LSV is nice for space and all the things that go along with extra space, ie gas, rough water handling, etc. But there are trade offs, including the wake and performance and cost. You will be happy with either boat, so don't sweat this one too much. One comment: I've been able to spend a little time now behind my new VLX and the wake is insane, one of the best I've ever rode behind. Shape, size, transition, width, everything is just very good. In stock form it's sligtly bigger than the LSV, narrower than the LSV and is a little steeper. The LSV was a very big and rampy wake, the VLX is bigger with a little more transition or steepness to it, but by no means is it to much, it's almost perfect. I've also added ~500 pounds of lead to it (as I did my LSV) and it's even better. I do have the bow ballast tank (had it on both boats) and recommend it either way. Let me know if you have any specific questions. We got lots of pics of the wake over the weekend, I'd post some for you, but can't... - that line never gets old! :) send me your email address and I can forward you some.

We got lots of pics of the wake over the weekend, I'd post some for you, but can't... - that line never gets old! :) send me your email address and I can forward you some.

Tony,

If we took a collection and signed you up as a crew member, would you post your pictures and stop complaining. :-) Tease2.gif

Jeff/AirChair1

So who is buying your boat? I think you will be happy with either one but I do not think that you would really need the space of the 23. Everytime I see you out it is you Cricket and maybe 2 or 3 other people. Either way I still will ride behind them.

:( no one I guess , I hoped David would sell thiers and buy mine... never know they might buy one day .. and some guy from Jackson ,ms asked me to tow it home so he could see it here, but he has not come up yet. He has called twice . So its here in OB , not at the lake . Never know, it might sell, just want a back up plan if it does sell . I really LOVED your VLX last week !! The wake was SICK Crazy.gifCrazy.gif ! I guess I'll go with the VLX if mine sells. I just need the extra room for all the SKY SKIs that are in the boat !!! We had 3 sky skis in the boat on day !!! too many !! Surprised.gif I' ll get a comptech sky ski rack if I get a new boat . My boat looks good , cause its paid for !! , but I want a new boat !!
  • 3 weeks later...
Biggrin.gif Ok boat is sold again ??? He said I would have a check SOON to hold it until the 18th of July. He has called me every day !! I really think this guy will buy it, hes really nice and he loves the boat. The problem is my dealer said the new 2006 boats have a 6-7 % price increase !!! Cry.gif OUCH !! Surprised.gif . He has one and only one !! 2005 LSV coming in Monday . After that no more 2005s. I can get the 2005 LSV cheaper than the 2006 VLX. I like both boats, I just want the best DEAL!!!! I know either wake will be fine for my crew. We only run about 4-5 people, but the 23 ft boat was sweet !!! SOOOOOOOOO HUGE !! Might be getting a 2005 LSV 23 ft Wakesetter because of the price increase in the 2006s.............. any more info on 2005 VLX wake VS 2005 LSV ( wakesetter 23 ft ) ???? Thanks for any info !!! The wife said I can ONLY spend so much and thats all, NO MORE !! so the 2006s are looking too HIGH !! Shocking.gif

If you only have 4 to 5 people, get the VLX. The room is nice if you need it, but if you don't... And unless the 06s have something you just gotta' have that you can't get on the 05, I'd save my money for some more toys (or gas).

Cry.gif The new 2005s are GONE !!!!!!! no more 2005s , but ONE 23 ft boat in stock 2005 23 ft wakesetter . The 2006s VLX cost more ???? I think I can get the 23 ft 2005 ALOT cheaper than the 2006 VLX... Mines about price .......
Biggrin.gif boat is SOLD !!! I will have a $5000 Down payment on Monday !!!! My wife is VERY SAD !! Cry.gifCry.gif but I told her the new 21.5 or 23 ft will be GREAT !! The 2005 23 ft will be in Tuesday !! the colors are white /blue/moonbeam. Its LOADED 4 tower speakers, perfect pass, 1250 lbs of ballast, wedge, 2 board racks, Titan III polished tower, turn down exhaust, 2 batteries,bimini top, fiberglass swimdeck, treadplate on fenders, lazar cut Malibu.... around 5?,000 ( low 50s ) This boat is looking good so far. Going out in Larry S a fellow crew member on Fri-Sat so I'll know more about the 23 ft at the end of the weekend. Any more info on 21.5 - 23 ft ??? Also my dealer has his July slot sold allready, so that sucks I'll have to wait until Aug for a build slot !! if I get a 2006 boat . Mad.gif so the 2005 23ft wakesetter is looking good :)

Taking the boat OFF the market, I'm tried of people pulling my chain !! This guy backed out too...... anyway no new boat for me... I love my 2001 VLX anyway !!

:( Well once again its sold !!!!! Cry.gif Will be gone Thursday night !! We worked on the price and he took it . Now I can not get a 2006 VLX until LATE Aug. Cry.gif , and there has been a price increase !! so I think the 2006s are out for me. BUT the dealer is getting his LAST 2005 LSV Wakestter 23 footer in stock Friday !!! He has offered me a SMOKING !!! deal on it .... Its blue white and marble where the sticker is. Not sure about the colors , and do i really need a 23 footer ??? I think I'm buying the 23 ft Sat !! The price is MAKING me to buy it !!! and I will not miss a weekend. Its a good looking boat and its LOADED !! needs head unit, amps, sub, and heater , shower then I'll be done. Other than that its LOADED... I rode behind Larry S 2004 23 footer last weekend !! Its a sweet ride and nice wake !!

The wife is NOT happy !! she loves that boat, but that 23 footer will look good too!!! Any reasons NOT to buy the 2005 23 footer ??????