Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

5 new intakes for bottom of boat

Chia

It is time to fish or cut bait as they say. Am going to put 5 thru hulls in the bottom of my boat, one for each pump as in one pump per fat sac.

Is there a minimum distance these holes can be to each other or as long as they are a few inches away from each other it should be good?

And do I have to loop the hose up as high as i can to prevent the bags from filling by themselves as has happened with the MLS bag?

the thru hulls are not scuppers but the same as Malibu uses for their MLS.

thanks

I would space them out as much as possible just to keep the glass's integrity. I don't think there's any rule of thumb but, be sure that they are always below the water line. (not just below the water line while sitting still and out of the water while on plane)

As for the loop, yes, you need to make a loop go as high as possible and definetely higher than the water line. Even with this, most people still get self filling bags and the only real cure to keep the water out for sure is to put in a valve.

I would space them out as much as possible just to keep the glass's integrity. I don't think there's any rule of thumb but, be sure that they are always below the water line. (not just below the water line while sitting still and out of the water while on plane)

As for the loop, yes, you need to make a loop go as high as possible and definetely higher than the water line. Even with this, most people still get self filling bags and the only real cure to keep the water out for sure is to put in a valve.

thanks, I hadn't thought about that, but i suppose the bags could drain if the hole is not below the waterline while on plane.

thanks for the help. one more question.

i plan to fill from the bottom and drain from the bottom with a separate pump. do i need to worry about the drain side overflowing out the drain port while filling or because the drain port is above the height of the fat sac everything will be ok.

I just added ballast to my boat! Finished it today! #1 You DO NOT need five holes in the bottom of your boat! I put two scuppers at the rear of my boat behind the perfect pass and water pickup. One pump 1100 gph fills the locker sack 600# from one thru hull, while I have two 600 gph pumps filling the two side sacks 450# each from the other thru hull. That's the way Malibu does it. Make sure to use brass shutoff's inside just incase of an accident. When drilling the holes I duck taped a shop vac hose to the bottom as the gel coat dust will each you alive! I then added a pump to each bag to empty. PM me for extra tips! Make sure you have patience. I will take some pics for you tommorrow. Takes about six hours by the time you do everyting.

I just added ballast to my boat! Finished it today! #1 You DO NOT need five holes in the bottom of your boat! I put two scuppers at the rear of my boat behind the perfect pass and water pickup. One pump 1100 gph fills the locker sack 600# from one thru hull, while I have two 600 gph pumps filling the two side sacks 450# each from the other thru hull. That's the way Malibu does it. Make sure to use brass shutoff's inside just incase of an accident. When drilling the holes I duck taped a shop vac hose to the bottom as the gel coat dust will each you alive! I then added a pump to each bag to empty. PM me for extra tips! Make sure you have patience. I will take some pics for you tommorrow. Takes about six hours by the time you do everyting.

Sounds like a good setup, but I am committed to the one fill pump and one drain pump per bag concept. I don't mind drilling holes in my boat and I want to get away from the stories about problems with air lock.