Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering - Pull to the right

oldfooter

I am new to the inboards and BUs and I am use to having an outboard with a skeg fin on the back that I can adjust to counteract the prop rotation pull to the right. I have a 23' XTI with the monsoon engine. While driving at most any speed above say 10 mph the boat has a tendency to pull hard to the right. This increases dramatically with speed. Thus I am worried if my wife, son or others are pulling me skiing or something and mistakenly let loose of the steering wheel we are going to take a hard turn to the right. Is there anything I can do to counteract this? :unsure:

Your boat was probably set up that way in order to make it easier to keep in a straight line. There should be a small tab on your rudder that you can adjust to make the steering more neutral.

It's called physics my friend...that is the nature of an inboard. Outboards steer via the turn of the prop or engine itself and an inboard turns via the rudder which is behind the prop. The motion and direction of the water past the prop will cause that...you may have also have noticed that backing up to port is difficult...i.e., see first statement. It will take some time to get used to but after living with an outboard for many years and making the switch as a lot of us probably did...you will love it. Good Luck!

Your boat was probably set up that way in order to make it easier to keep in a straight line. There should be a small tab on your rudder that you can adjust to make the steering more neutral.

Thanks....I'll look for the tab this weekend. It hasn't just stood out when I have looked at the rudder before, is it on the top, bottom, back, front, etc.????? Is it adjusted by a screw on the tab? How big is it? Does any one have photos of this adjusting tab? Appreciate the info.

Depends on how much pull you want on the wheel when going straight. Also, if the steering is neutral, you're likely to have a bit of slop or play in the wheel. Just make small changes until you get the feel you want.

It's the part of the rudder that is not "solid." You'll see it.

What's the proper way to set this tab?

Thanks.

Did you look at it already? Dontknow.gif

Thanks.

Nope. I'm in LA and my boat is in Havasu.

I'm going up there this afternoon and I don't get internet so I want be armed with as much info as possible before I head out.

Thanks.

Still at work Mad.gif ...bummer.....will check this weekend.

There is a lot of good info on this subject on these boards.

Take a look here for an old topic with some good info.

Also, try a search on rudder tab or trim tab...there are a bunch of other threads that describe how the physics work and how to adjust it.

I do not belive the tab was available until 2005 so you may be out of luck.

He is correcto......2005 is the first year they had the tab. Right after the 2004 model year (mine Mad.gif ). Of course, if you have an extra $400 or so you can buy a rudder with the tab on it and replace yours!!! Biggrin.gif

He is correcto......2005 is the first year they had the tab. Right after the 2004 model year (mine Mad.gif ). Of course, if you have an extra $400 or so you can buy a rudder with the tab on it and replace yours!!! Biggrin.gif

You are correct. I just came from trying to find the tab on my rudder....and it does not exist. I guess I will HOLD ON TIGHT!!!! Do the rudders with trim tabs that came out in 2005 and later fit onto the shaft of the 2004s? ;)

You are correct. I just came from trying to find the tab on my rudder....and it does not exist. I guess I will HOLD ON TIGHT!!!! Do the rudders with trim tabs that came out in 2005 and later fit onto the shaft of the 2004s? ;)

The rudder shaft is part of the rudder and the new ones with trim tabs fit right in, but the new rudders come with a new housing also. The old rudders can be manually "trimmed" by filing off the port trailing edge. It takes very little to make a change, but I don't recommend doing it. It is much better to train the drivers to make use of the pull than to eliminate it. If a person is not qualified to drive with the pull, they aren't qualified to drive without it. :)

Just back from the lake and couldn't find the tab. Mines a 2000. Doesn't really matter as long as it's not a problem for the boat. It doesn't cause any extra stress on the steering cable does it?

Thanks.

Edited by Arkid

The rudder shaft is part of the rudder and the new ones with trim tabs fit right in, but the new rudders come with a new housing also. The old rudders can be manually "trimmed" by filing off the port trailing edge. It takes very little to make a change, but I don't recommend doing it. It is much better to train the drivers to make use of the pull than to eliminate it. If a person is not qualified to drive with the pull, they aren't qualified to drive without it. :)

Which side would I need to trim from to eliminate pull to the right? Also are you talking about trimming all the way from the top to the bottom of the rear of the rudder or only a portion of it. When you say it takes very little to make a change, please define "very little". For example, start with maybe trim a 1/16 of a inch off the bottom rear (left or right) of the rudder, going up 1 inch from the bottom with a taper from 1/2 an inch from the back of the rudder? Dontknow.gif Not sure this makes sense, but is that what we are speaking of? Thanks in advance......

My VLX pulled right and I couldn't stand it. To"tune" the rudder you grind the trailing edge(rear) of the rudder on the side which you want it to pull towards(Left/Port). Basically grind/sand the back edge as it angles forward. It took about three times to get it just where I like it. I took material off at about a 45 degree angle and then smoothed it off to match the starboard ® edge.........

My VLX pulled right and I couldn't stand it. To"tune" the rudder you grind the trailing edge(rear) of the rudder on the side which you want it to pull towards(Left/Port). Basically grind/sand the back edge as it angles forward. It took about three times to get it just where I like it. I took material off at about a 45 degree angle and then smoothed it off to match the starboard ® edge.........

Thanks......did you grind evenly from the top to the bottom or just a portion of the way up the rudder? How much did you have to end up grinding away.....1/16 of an inch or more?

You would remove material from the port side. If you take off too much, it will pull the opposite direction or be neutral. You really don't want it to be neutral because then your boat will never go straight. You will be correcting course constantly which would be a major pain. Its much better to train your drivers to be competent drivers with the boat as is.

You would remove material from the port side. If you take off too much, it will pull the opposite direction or be neutral. You really don't want it to be neutral because then your boat will never go straight. You will be correcting course constantly which would be a major pain. Its much better to train your drivers to be competent drivers with the boat as is.

Not sure I understand.....if it is neutral, how would the boat not go straight? If I hold the wheel in the neutral position it goes straight....just with torque wanting to turn the wheel to the right. I am looking to take off just enough to prevent the hard pull to the right in the steering wheel. ARe you saying if I eliminate the pull (torgue) the boat will then steer to the left??? :unsure:

If you take enough off so that it is nuetral, it will go straight, but may wobble due to a little slop in the wheel and won't steer as precisely.

The slight tolerances in the rack and pinion will cause enough slop in an unloaded steering system to cause the boat to hunt requiring constant steering corrections while trying to go straight. The boat will go straight, but require constant correction at the helm.

The slight tolerances in the rack and pinion will cause enough slop in an unloaded steering system to cause the boat to hunt requiring constant steering corrections while trying to go straight. The boat will go straight, but require constant correction at the helm.

Thanks....that makes sense. I will shave enough off to leave a slight pull and not be completly neutral. What I have right now seems dangerous to me as the boat will make a drastic and hard turn to the right immediately upon releasing or losing grip on the wheel. Thus this could cause someone to lose their balance and fall.

Does anyone have a photo of their rudder showing where they have done this before? I am still trying to determine what is a "small amount"...... 1/32 of an inch, 1/16 of an inch....etc...what is it? No one has addressed/explained yet what they mean by a small or little bit of trimming. :unsure:

I wouldn't try it until you talk to someone who's done it. Your dealer might be helpful.

My Sporty steers the same way. I've always had inboards, but never one that steered like this. The steering is zero effort, and the load is quite high. So the pull is pretty hard, especially up aropund 35 or more. It took some getting used to. I thought about grinding mine, but decided against it as the boat was meant to steer this way. I'm glad I did as it steers so much better than my 88 Skier which is more nuetral and has a stiffer cable. You just got to be careful who you let get behind the wheel.