Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Aligning Steering Wheel

I replaced the steering cable not to long ago and the steering wheel is cocked to one side when the boat is going straight. I'm guessing the black tube the steering cable goes through back by the trans mission is how you adjust it. Any advice ? If thats not right how do you do it? Thanks in advance.

It is quite simple, you just need to be 2...

Drive your boat in a straight line, hold the steering in place and stop the boat without moving the steering from it's positions when going in a straight line.

Have one of you hold the steering in place, the least skinniest by preference...

Slide back your driver's seat.

Using a racthet or wrench, loosen the 4 bolts that hold your rack from the cable assembly to the pinion on the steering about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Pull down on rack so that it disingages from the pinion (steering wheel).

Have the person holding the steering place it in the position you desire your steering to be while going in a straight line.

Re-engage the rack in the steering pinion.

Tighten the 4 bolts.

Voilà!!

I need to add what maybe a dumb question...

I got my first boat last summer and noticed too that the wheel was off to one side when the boat was going in a straight line. I also noticed that when the boat was out of the water when I lined up the steering wheel straight the rudder was also straight. Dontknow.gif

I was told that it was the way the rotation of the prop pushed water over the rudder that forced it to be off center even though the boat's in a straight line.

Is this correct?

Thanks.

Yes, basically there is a bit of torque-steer present. Also, the trailing edge of your rudder can have a noticeable effect on steering. Some people file it to get it to pull more/less to the right.

• 4 months later...

Drive your boat in a straight line, hold the steering in place and stop the boat without moving the steering from it's positions when going in a straight line.

Have one of you hold the steering in place, the least skinniest by preference...

Using a racthet or wrench, loosen the 4 bolts that hold your rack from the cable assembly to the pinion on the steering about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

Have the person holding the steering place it in the position you desire your steering to be while going in a straight line.

Tighten the 4 bolts.

Voilà!!

Does anyone know if this is true for an 06 VLX too? I had my dealer replace my steering column due to excess slop up and down. It is now tight but they left it a quarter turn off at center.

I just replaced mine last week too! I did find that my rudder has a lil' play in it when I try to turn it. Do I need to tighten anything or do I have a problem on my hands? It has about a 1/16-1/8" of play in it, but it does spin like it's suppost to with the cable attached.

Tighten the 4 bolts.

Voilà!!

Does anyone know if this is true for an 06 VLX too? I had my dealer replace my steering column due to excess slop up and down. It is now tight but they left it a quarter turn off at center.

I talked to dealer today and they said to remove the socket head cap screws from center cap and there is a nut under there to remove to align the wheel. Has anyone done this?