Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Transmission Leak

My 98 Sunsetter LX is leaking transmission fluid. I have to add 8 ounces of fluid a month. I see no apparent leak but the bottom of the boat is coated with transmission fluid.

Where should I look for the source of the leak? Is anyone else experiencing a leak? Do I have to pull the transmission to find the leak; and if so how do I do this.

YES! My leak is not very bad but I have traced it to either the tranny cooler feed line or the return line. It is extremely slow in my case. It won't leak at all when cold but after running about 30 minutes I find a little bit of tranny fluid on the underside of the line. It's almost so slow that it's like it seeps out of the line. I only noticed because there was a small puddle of tranny fluid in the bilge located right under the dip in the lines by the 2nd and 3rd sparkplug.

I'm trying to sort out which one is the one leaking so I have temporarily seperated them to see which one gets wet. Try looking at that area. I thought at first it might be a gasket leak somewhere on the tranny but it is completely dry. The engine is completely dry. The hoses either side of the questionable area is dry.

Hopefully it's something simple like that for you too.

Are you sure you are not overfilling it. If that is the case it spews out the vent after it gets warm and expands. First time I changed mine I thought I had a leak due to overfilling it. Then I figured out you do not get the full 2.2 quarts out when you drain the trans. You get about 8 oz. less.

My 99 Sportster leaked from one of the hoses between the tranny and the cooler. I removed them both and brought the to a Hydraulic shop. The guy caped one end and connected the air compressor on the other end. One was air tight and the other was leaking air like you would'nt beleive. He replaced the hose with a high temp hydraulic hose and it cost me 28$ Canadian.

Edited by 1FootDan

Found it. It was actually leaking at the brass end crimp on the hose. I checked that a couple times but hey...I'm getting old. Good tip on the hydraulic shop. I hate to spend $74 for a damn hose.

my hose was leaking from the brass crimp also so i removed the brass part to find out that they use reg hose NOT HI PRESSURE so i just hose clamped it and its fine

my hose was leaking from the brass crimp also so i removed the brass part to find out that they use reg hose NOT HI PRESSURE so i just hose clamped it and its fine

I thought about that myself but thanks to 1FootDan I took my old one down to a hydraulic shop and they built me a slick new one for the grand total of $19. He looked at the old one and said they don't recommend the pressure barb type fittings for slick substance type service.

For what it's worth vs the mess a leaking hose makes, I think it would wise to change both hoses. Innocent.gif