Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Website for Selling a Boat?

Colby

Hey all,

As much as I hate it, I need to sell my Bu. I was wondering what you guys think is the best bang for the buck as far as reaching the most viewers? I think my major options are traderonline, usedboats, ebay and onlyinboards. When I purchased this boat, I found it on traderonline, but have not had much luck ever selling a boat on there.

I was going to put it in my local paper, but it is pretty pricey, and up here in the mountains there may not be much of a market for it.

This is my second Malibu, and with any luck I'll be back in another one in a year or two.

Thanks for all your help in the past, and I appreciate your input on this.

Colby

I sold my Nautique off of onlyinboards but I got a lot of hits on ski-it-again and that is a free listing. If I were you I would list it on both of those. Also, don't forget ajbout the classifieds on here too. I know a few boats have been sold from this site. Good luck.

I did boat trader online and craigslist. I easily had more responses and lookers from the Craigslist posting, and it was free. If I had tried this approach, I would have saved the $100 bucks and still sold the boat!

Give it a shot if there is a decent craigslist in your local area, then you can move on to the $$ sites. Given the time of year, seems like inventory is low and demand is high based on experiences my buddy is having right now, you should be able to sell quickly.

Thanks for the tips. What do you think about ebay with no reserve?

And, while we are on the subject, what do you guys think about asking price? 2002 RLX, good condition, under 400 hrs, tower w/ speakers, racks, Perfect Pass, wedge, heater, single axle trailer, teak deck. Ballpark?

Dude, is your boat sano clean? If it is detail it all out and place it in a place where people can see it. Sold my last boat in 30 mins tops. I left it on this busy street and within 20 minute got three calls and the first guy bought it without starting it.. BTW tried craigslist and Boattrader, but all i got was scammers that would never call and wanted to do the transaction over the web. paid over $100 bucks for trader. It's best to sell local. Good luck!

Put my 1986 Sunsetter on boat trader and in 2 weeks sold it. I had about 20 calls and a waiting list to buy the boat. Cost me $29.

Thanks for the tips. What do you think about ebay with no reserve?

And, while we are on the subject, what do you guys think about asking price? 2002 RLX, good condition, under 400 hrs, tower w/ speakers, racks, Perfect Pass, wedge, heater, single axle trailer, teak deck. Ballpark?

I bought my 2005 Response LXi last August before I had my 2000 Response LX sold. Having two boats in the fall was a bit unnerving. My neighbor pointed out how I had a boatyard going.

I listed it on boattrader.com first. That only produced one partially interested person with a super low bid. I sell a bunch a stuff on eBay, but never this expensive. Once I listed it on eBay, I had tons of email chats going and had 3-4 people making offers, but acknowledging that whoever brings a deposit first is the buyer. It was crazy. The first person to stop by drove 250 miles and had the money, so there it went.

On the no reserve, I'd be leary. I'd list a little hight than you want to get, then cut a deal in emails. If you want to play it by the book, set it up a buy it now, or best offer. I also searched eBay for similar boats to mine that had nice sales prices. I included the numbers in my auction, and pointed out the extra features that I had.

I bought my 2005 boat from a guy out of state too. He didn't have a trailer, but recommended a trailer place local to him to buy something sight unseen. The trailer turned out to be sort of lame, so I sold that on eBay too for a slight loss, then bought an Eagle. Another easy move.

Other ways work too, but apples to apples eBay treated me kindly on this one.

BTW - there is a HUGE scam with bad cashiers checks. Look it up on google. Also, if you ask your bank you'll find that a person can stop payment even on a cashiers check. No kidding. Either go to their bank and get cash, get a wire transfer, or get cash - IMO.

Chris