Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Pro Slalom Shootout 2007

Chaabo

Yep, and it came down to Asher having to take out Jodi. Sweet event! Hope that driver who took CP's recoil at 41' in the back of the head is OK!

Awesome footage from this event too. It makes me want to go ski but I sure do feel like I suck after watching those guys! :)

Yeah he did...we are "like a fraternity" I believe he said...

I think that was Tommy Harrington who was pulling CP...I emailed my friends right after that happened and said "shock tube is going back on our boat!".

What was that rule that Mike Ferraro was talking about with Wade Cox lobbying for/against it? I didn't understand what they were talking about.

Oh, and did anyone else hear Drew Ross call out themalibucrew.com when talking about the joys of Malibu ownership? :) Sweet!

Awesome! I sucks I can't view it at work. Is ther a place I can Zencast it (mp3) and watch it later?

I think that was Tommy Harrington who was pulling CP...I emailed my friends right after that happened and said "shock tube is going back on our boat!".

What was that rule that Mike Ferraro was talking about with Wade Cox lobbying for/against it? I didn't understand what they were talking about.

The shock tube thing doesn’t work, I’ve hit people in the boat w/ it on and off...

Congrats to Malibu on the win. Can someone answer a question for me though on the scoring. In two of the heats (first one and last one), the top two skiers tied, but the scores were different. How were they scoring ties? It didn't look like they just split it. In fact, in the first heat, Andy skied 2.5 @ 39.5 and got 5 pts. The guy skiing for MC skied 3 @ 38 and got 10 pts. I've asked this on a few websites and nobody seems to know what the answer is. Am I missing something obvious?

Oh, and the thing they were talking about with the rule change is that it can be read as the skier has to hang on all the way to the wakes to score a full buoy, which seems to be resulting in more handles flying at drivers. I, too, hope the driver pulling CP is alright. Not sure if a shock tube would've kept that handle out though. Wonder if we'll see the return of the Safe-T top?

Edited by east tx skier
Oh, and did anyone else hear Drew Ross call out themalibucrew.com when talking about the joys of Malibu ownership? :) Sweet!

Awesome! I sucks I can't view it at work. Is ther a place I can Zencast it (mp3) and watch it later?

The shock tube thing doesn’t work, I’ve hit people in the boat w/ it on and off...

I believe the purpose of the shock tube is to prevent the handle/rope from wrapping around someone (edit: tightly) in the boat. It usually doesn't help bad handle recoil...

Edited by Addictedto6

I hope Tommy Harrington is OK as well. I was in a clinic with Chris Parrish last year and as I was getting pulled up the handle flew out of my hand and hit the driver square in the back of the head. Chris was in the middle and my son was in the observer seat videotaping (yes, I have the entire 6 1/2 seconds on video).

I was wondering what rule they were talking about myself. Wasn't there a rule change on how they count the buoys? I think they were saying to count a full buoy he had to make it back, that's why he was holding on to the rope to get back and get the buoy count. I think otherwise he would have dropped the rope and there wouldn't have been a "head whack".

As have I...but far less with it on. Just a reduction in handles making it into the boat justifies its use, even if its not 100%.

I was wondering what rule they were talking about myself. Wasn't there a rule change on how they count the buoys? I think they were saying to count a full buoy he had to make it back, that's why he was holding on to the rope to get back and get the buoy count. I think otherwise he would have dropped the rope and there wouldn't have been a "head whack".

Here's the rule change they're talking about.

Rule 10.12 ( c )

NewRule.jpg

Edited by east tx skier
Congrats to Malibu on the win. Can someone answer a question for me though on the scoring. In two of the heats (first one and last one), the top two skiers tied, but the scores were different. How were they scoring ties? It didn't look like they just split it. In fact, in the first heat, Andy skied 2.5 @ 39.5 and got 5 pts. The guy skiing for MC skied 3 @ 38 and got 10 pts. I've asked this on a few websites and nobody seems to know what the answer is. Am I missing something obvious?

Oh, and the thing they were talking about with the rule change is that it can be read as the skier has to hang on all the way to the wakes to score a full buoy, which seems to be resulting in more handles flying at drivers. I, too, hope the driver pulling CP is alright. Not sure if a shock tube would've kept that handle out though. Wonder if we'll see the return of the Safe-T top?

The scores on the website are wrong. Tie scores were scored evenly.

I believe the purpose of the shock tube is to prevent the handle/rope from wrapping around someone (edit: tightly) in the boat. It usually doesn't help bad handle recoil...
Kevin is right. The rope has an uncanny ability to wrap itself around the neck of the driver and can cause serious injury when it snaps tight again. It was never designed to stop handle snap-back. No.gif That's just a misinterpretation of it's purpose...I can't believe how many people think it will keep handles from flying at the boat.

yeah the new rule sucks! instead of skiers just hanging onto the slack around 6 its happening everywhere. Yes its unfair for those who ski away and score the full point, and those who didnt and also got the full point. but from a safety point of view its not helping at all in my opinion. i say go back to old rule!

Kevin is right. The rope has an uncanny ability to wrap itself around the neck of the driver and can cause serious injury when it snaps tight again. It was never designed to stop handle snap-back. No.gif That's just a misinterpretation of it's purpose...I can't believe how many people think it will keep handles from flying at the boat.

Ever seen what happens to the rope itself when you fall with it loaded? Go back and find a video of you popping the handle and watch it in slow-motion. The rope takes the shape of a coil spring, that is, it coils up when you release it. If you're LFF and pop on your off side, it's easy to see how the rope can coil up around the driver's neck.

I guess that's one plus for V drives...

The scores on the website are wrong. Tie scores were scored evenly.

Thanks. I got on there last night and saw that they had changed them.