Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery Connection -- What's in box "1" or box "2"

Please redirect to a previous thread if I'm asking a redundant question -- but here's the question I dealing with tonight...

Battery 1 == old, mca = 500 deep cycle -- passed the "murray's" test but was leaking fluid... I've decided to replace this battery (btw, this battery currently has everything connected - engine, bielge, stereo)

Battery 2 == new (just installed a two battery system) -- mca = 500, deep cycle format -- designed to run the stereo while I rest my weary bones

Question -- if I install a "starter battery" as #1 -- mca = 1000 and uses this as my "primary" -- start and stereo for extended times will I be ok with having my battery 2 as the "saviour" battery and restart on "all" -- until battery one is recharged?

I did read on this forum that batteries in parrallel will reduce to the weakest state -- so would I be at risk for a lower MCA?

Sorry for the long post -- but:

One fix would be to have a stereo lead that conneceted to Battery 1 and to battery 2 -- use the starter battery until "drift time" and then switch over to the deep cycle battery 2 -- restart with battery 1.

or

Would I be better with a new deep cycle mca = 500 and run the always in the "all" position -- any run down at rest would be added to the mca = 500 of the resting battery??

Lots of questions -- thanks for trying to make sense of my rambling...

Regards, Olive

Here is my setup which has worked for me.

Perko switch 1 2 both and off.

Battery 1 Marine starting Battery.

Battery 2 Marine Deep Cycle.

I leave the perko on position 2 99% of the time that way I always have position 1 to start.

About once a month I put a charger on battery 1 to maintain charge. The altenator keeps battery 2 charged.

There are two reasons I do it this way. First is I never have to remember to switch batteries when I stop for an extended period of time. Second if I do drain battery 2 I can just switch to battery 1 and be confident I won't be stranded.

You have to be sitting for a long time with the stereo playing rather loudly to drain any decent deep cycle battery. A few weeks ago we had the boat off and the stereo playing for nearly 8 hours and the boat started right up on the same battery. I have never been stranded doing it this way.

I never use the "both" or "all" position.

David