Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What size board for 200 lb. rider

JasonK

My buddy is looking into getting a new wakeboard. He's about 200 lb. What size board do you guys recommend for the 190-210 lb. riders?

Depends on the model he likes. But something around 140-142

Edited by lib135
My buddy is looking into getting a new wakeboard. He's about 200 lb. What size board do you guys recommend for the 190-210 lb. riders?

*cough* a buddy sure.... Crazy.gif

But yes a 140-142 size is what you..oh I mean your buddy needs. Tease.gif

OK, let's up the ante a bit ... 6'2", 230lb, 50ish, never on a wakeboard, but slalomed decently for many years. You get the picture. The kids say "it's time, Dad. That skinny stick is so yesterday - uh" Crazy.gif

Obviously a big board is needed, but what should I try for starters just to play around on?

OK, let's up the ante a bit ... 6'2", 230lb, 50ish, never on a wakeboard, but slalomed decently for many years. You get the picture. The kids say "it's time, Dad. That skinny stick is so yesterday - uh" Crazy.gif

Obviously a big board is needed, but what should I try for starters just to play around on?

The old Hyperlite 142 TFD is a great board to use as a slalom skier whom wants to try a wakeboard. I'm not sure what they make today model wise that's similar but this one is no longer in production.

The TFD combines a smooth rocker line with an aggressive edging style on the water and a sense of forgiveness on landings. A new fast action carver for riders on the go.

# 2.8" Continuous Rocker - a smooth, reliable, fast transition up the wake every time.

# Step Down Rail - a moderate rail, makes the board sit slightly lower on the water.

# Widest Tip/Tail Profile - rolls over smooth. stands up higher through the wake.

# Deep Center Beam - helps push the water out for buttery smooth landings.

# Four 1.3" A-Wing Machined Aluminum Fins - designed for a quick reaction time and a stronger overall edge hold.

# 6 Degree Angled Fins - create a smooth turn with a stronger bite once on rail.

The old Hyperlite 142 TFD is a great board to use as a slalom skier whom wants to try a wakeboard. I'm not sure what they make today model wise that's similar but this one is no longer in production.

The TFD combines a smooth rocker line with an aggressive edging style on the water and a sense of forgiveness on landings. A new fast action carver for riders on the go.

# 2.8" Continuous Rocker - a smooth, reliable, fast transition up the wake every time.

# Step Down Rail - a moderate rail, makes the board sit slightly lower on the water.

# Widest Tip/Tail Profile - rolls over smooth. stands up higher through the wake.

# Deep Center Beam - helps push the water out for buttery smooth landings.

# Four 1.3" A-Wing Machined Aluminum Fins - designed for a quick reaction time and a stronger overall edge hold.

# 6 Degree Angled Fins - create a smooth turn with a stronger bite once on rail.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do an ebay hunt and also try to map those features to a current board. I happen to work about 10 miles from the Bart's HQ, so am going to give them a try them at lunch time too.

I'm 5'11" and 195. Riding a 140 LF Shane and loving it. I had a 134 substance for a while and love the board but if I was at all sketchy on a landing I was going down. Anytime I wasn't in the middle of the board with my weight I was going down.!

I'm 6'2" and 210#. I have a Hyperlite 142 that I love. I think the width matters just as much as length, but there are no specs on my board for width.

I'm 5'11" and 195. Riding a 140 LF Shane and loving it. I had a 134 substance for a while and love the board but if I was at all sketchy on a landing I was going down. Anytime I wasn't in the middle of the board with my weight I was going down.!

I have an '06 Liquid Force "Shane" as well and absolutely love it, especially the lake Powell graphics on it Thumbup.gif . I will say It's a hate it or love it board though. It's not forgiving at all because it was designed to be a loose riding board so make sure you have an edge set when you cut into the wake. Overall it's an awesome board but not for the beginner rider at all. As MalibuDude stated the TFD board is a great board too. I also have that TFD and wow talk about an awesome board with pop and forgiveness with edging. It's new replacement is the 3DS, I just hooked my Girlfriend up with this board today because she liked riding my TFD.

I couldn't find a new version of TFD - 3DS? I went into Barts and they recommended the LF Omega 143 as reasonably stable and forgiving. Any big guys tried this one?

Go to www.wakeside.com this place has anything and everything at a great price. They also have free shipping, easy return policy, and no sales tax Thumbup.gif