Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Malibu Cruise

jesutton3

We have an 07 VLX with the Hammerhead engine and the Malibu Cruise. I was wondering if there are any settings you can change like PP to make it hold speed better? It holds decently well but there is still a variance of +/- 1 mph in either direction when riding in a straight line. Our old 01 VLX with PP and the Monsoon held speed much better. Any suggestions or does anyone else have this same problem?

Unfortunately no, there are no settings that the user can adjust. You might call your dealership and see if they could do some re-coding to make it hold speed better? I think this is truly a shortcoming on Malibu Cruise, it would be nice to see them release a new firmware option that made it possible to adjust the "NN" and "KDW" settings...

Good luck and welcome to the crew. :)Welcome.gif

Edited by DRAGON88

Unfortunately no, there are no settings that the user can adjust. You might call your dealership and see if they could do some re-coding to make it hold speed better? I think this is truly a shortcoming on Malibu Cruise, it would be nice to see them release a new firmware option that made it possible to adjust the "NN" and "KDW" settings...

Good luck and welcome to the crew. :)Welcome.gif

Try staying on the upper side of the throttle position. I've tried this and it seems to hold better especially when you have alot of extra ballast in the boat.

Hope this helps Scott

We have an 07 VLX with the Hammerhead engine and the Malibu Cruise. I was wondering if there are any settings you can change like PP to make it hold speed better? It holds decently well but there is still a variance of +/- 1 mph in either direction when riding in a straight line. Our old 01 VLX with PP and the Monsoon held speed much better. Any suggestions or does anyone else have this same problem?

There are 2 ways to set the Cruise control and get good results. I use to get a variance, but since I started doing this the variance has decreased.

1. Bring the boat up to speed, once you hear the speed control beep the black bar along the bottom of the speed control LCD will open up with a gap and a black square will appear. Once you see the black square (it could be overlapping at one end of the gap or the other) center it in the gap. Once it is centered the cruise control should work fine. Many peeps don't do this and the cruise doesn't take over properly, heck when we started we didn't even see it saying more throttle (we thought it was just letting us know it was giving more throttle :) ) Once you start getting the black square centered in the gap it should run better.... It may go over by about 1-2 mph dependent on you holeshot but eventually it drops down to the proper speed. I get a variance in most cases of about +/- .3 at the most. The biggest thing is if you can actually hear a surge in the engine vs. just seeing the variation on the LCD.

2. 68Slalom showed me the second way of doing it last weekend. He said just bring the boat to full throttle. The cruise control took over and maintained speed quickly. The bar with the gap, in this case, was all the way to the right and the black square was stuck there with it. It seemed to work, the only thing I found that was weird was that the engine seemed a little stifled, kinda like it was hitting the rev limiter or something, but it maintained speed properly.

If you hear the engine surging a bit and your doing the above, you may just need to re-prop.

How much weight are you running? If you have a lot (or even stock ballast with the Power Wedge), upgrading your prop to a 1235 can have a drastic impact on Malibu Cruise's ability to hold speed.

I thought maybe we were all going to go on a cruise... That'd be one serious WOW! Yahoo.gif

49811886_bccf964672_b.jpg

Except with this group, it'd be more like this:

muppetspc_screens41.jpg

See, there's Greg on the left, next to Stewart, and I guess that makes me the shrimp in the middle.

I thought maybe we were all going to go on a cruise... That'd be one serious WOW! Yahoo.gif

49811886_bccf964672_b.jpg

Except with this group, it'd be more like this:

muppetspc_screens41.jpg

See, there's Greg on the left, next to Stewart, and I guess that makes me the shrimp in the middle.

And we know who likes pink, so are you saying the pink one in the middle is...... Dontknow.gif

And we know who likes pink, so are you saying the pink one in the middle is......

Then that must be Jorge to the right of her and of course M-Dude on the far right.

post-28-1181768941_thumb.jpg

Edited by stewart
Stewart,

Have you noticed a difference in how Cruise seems to hold speed with the new OJ vs. the old 537? I can't remember if you told me that part or not. :Doh:

Yes, much better, even on the barge. :)

There are 2 ways to set the Cruise control and get good results. I use to get a variance, but since I started doing this the variance has decreased.

1. Bring the boat up to speed, once you hear the speed control beep the black bar along the bottom of the speed control LCD will open up with a gap and a black square will appear. Once you see the black square (it could be overlapping at one end of the gap or the other) center it in the gap. Once it is centered the cruise control should work fine. Many peeps don't do this and the cruise doesn't take over properly, heck when we started we didn't even see it saying more throttle (we thought it was just letting us know it was giving more throttle :) ) Once you start getting the black square centered in the gap it should run better.... It may go over by about 1-2 mph dependent on you holeshot but eventually it drops down to the proper speed. I get a variance in most cases of about +/- .3 at the most. The biggest thing is if you can actually hear a surge in the engine vs. just seeing the variation on the LCD.

2. 68Slalom showed me the second way of doing it last weekend. He said just bring the boat to full throttle. The cruise control took over and maintained speed quickly. The bar with the gap, in this case, was all the way to the right and the black square was stuck there with it. It seemed to work, the only thing I found that was weird was that the engine seemed a little stifled, kinda like it was hitting the rev limiter or something, but it maintained speed properly.

If you hear the engine surging a bit and your doing the above, you may just need to re-prop.

stewart, I hope this all makes sense. I forgot to mention to you that day that with the throttle all the way down, or way past the opening of the bar when you make any slight turns the speed control takes over very quick and adjusts the speed you want to maintain, because you have that extra throttle available otherwise you have to give it more throttle manually. I talked to the dealer on this today and he said, this is just to tell you where the throttle position is and that it is meant to let you know if your way over or under but being under you'll give an alert sound or it should anyways. Pulling a slalom skier, you want the throttle position higher so under a heavier load (or at cutting) it will response quicker, but this will make the speed vary more towards over speed rather than under speed. For long straights being in the middle of the open bar is best and it will get your speed control tighter, you hit it right on that day you explained it. If you are taking slight turns like in the delta you want it to be slightly over to the higher side so it adjusts with enough throttle when the boat starts to slow down slightly, otherwise the block will move around. The higher the throttle position the quicker it will respond, so bottom line on what he said is that you can put the throttle anywhere you want but try and position the block in the middle of the open bar. He also said that most people don't even know about this and they just found out a couple of weeks ago themselves, the Malibu reps never said anything to them (LOL).

Stewart,

Have you noticed a difference in how Cruise seems to hold speed with the new OJ vs. the old 537? I can't remember if you told me that part or not. :Doh:

Nice. Do you remember how much it varied with the 537? I remember you being less than impressed with Cruise, that seems to have changed. :)

Stewart,

Nice. Do you remember how much it varied with the 537? I remember you being less than impressed with Cruise, that seems to have changed. :)

Not Really. When I put the 475 on and was running with nephews 200lbs total :) , Kim with full ballast. 520lbs in pop bags and no wedge, Kim thought it ran smoother...... I know it pulled me up better. Even last weekend when we had 85 gallons of gas, 6 adults, full ballast, 520lbs of pop bags the 247 pulled me up almost immediately.

The cruise control its a toss up for me. Now that we have figured out the box thing, and like 68Slalom explained with the throttle side of the box its o.k.. The thing is we taught it to ourselves. In the beginning I hated it, but now, its tolerable.

I still totally hate that every time you shut off the engine you have turn the speed on again, that is just plain STUPID! Mad.gif And that is my biggest gripe.

Does the Cruise have a way to use RPM based? or just speed based?

Yes. IIRC you keep pushing the cruise button to get to the rpm mode, set your rpms that you want & use the red button to turn it on. I've used it a couple of times, but found it difficult to get it to engage.

Yes. IIRC you keep pushing the cruise button to get to the rpm mode, set your rpms that you want & use the red button to turn it on. I've used it a couple of times, but found it difficult to get it to engage.

On my old boat with PP, I found that it held speed much better in RPM mode, but that the Malibu Cruise works fine in speed based mode. This is for wakeboarding speeds.

On my old boat with PP, I found that it held speed much better in RPM mode, but that the Malibu Cruise works fine in speed based mode. This is for wakeboarding speeds.

We surfed, boarded and skied the VTX last night. The cruise held good at surf and boarding speeds, but at skiing speeds, it really revved the engine on a decent cut. That's why I'd like to go to the RPM based at ski speeds.

i have also tried it a couple of times and have found it hard to engage.

but at skiing speeds, it really revved the engine on a decent cut. That's why I'd like to go to the RPM based at ski speeds.

Did you try to just put the throttle all the way down and leave it? If you read 68Slaloms post above, that is what his dealer kinda explained to do to get the cruise to react faster..... Just a thought.

Once it engages, the rpm mode at skiing speed is pretty decent (not as good as PP, but decent). RPM was designed for those speeds & using speed mode wouldn't IMO work as well. It's just a matter of getting the system to take control.