Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

06 23 LSV blown Monsoon engine

Hi:

Anybody out there ever heard of any problems with the recent Monsoon engines?? I have a 06 Monsoon and it was just diagnosed with a blown engine. Water was present in all 8 cylinders. The boat is currently being taken apart as I write without an idea yet as to what may have caused it. Does anyone have any experiance in this type of major failure? I could use some recent reports of failures. They say it may be either an intake or exhaust manifold crack. Who knows. I need some help. I'm worried Cry.gif

So here is an edit on this original post. I have since found out from the service dept. that they cannot find any cracks in either the exhaust and/or the intake manifolds. They state it could be that the seal seperating the internal water cooling system from the combustion chambers (All 8 cylinders) could have failed. They have since installed a new seal and will be going out to a lake test to run it. My question is this: Once an engine is exposed to a foreign body internally (H20) where is does not normally go (Cylinders) does it or could it have long term effects on the future performance of the engine? For a boat with all of 119 hrs. on it, I feel I could possibly be getting the short end of the stick on this failure. Any thoughts from any mechanically inclined boater on this issue? I am hoping for the best outcome but man I'm concerned.

Please reply.

Edited by pjjumper

Jump on the Indmaar site and ask some questions, but yes it could be a crack in the intake or exhaust manifold along with a blown head gasket, crack in the head or even a crack in the block (highly unlikely). At least you know it's under warranty. Ask if you can have a complete replacement engine. Get a hold of the guys from Indmaar; a lot of times they want the damaged engine in there shop to trouble shoot so they can use it as a learning tool (R&D) so the problem wont happen again. Have the guys at Indmaar contact your dealer.

The Monsoon is pretty bullet proof, but like anything else there can be a failure.

If its a blown engine, Indmar will be sending the dealer a new one. No worries.

I would worry, but not too much. Indmar replaced my buddy's Monsoon at > 6 month out of warranty and nearly 300 hrs.

Indmar will make it right :)

The Monsoon is pretty bullet proof, but like anything else there can be a failure.

If its a blown engine, Indmar will be sending the dealer a new one. No worries.

Trust me this is the truth. You'll be fine just takes a bit of time to get you back up and running. I'd suggest that you ask the dealer for a loaner if you had plans and/or if the repair time takes awhile.

If your dealer has some skilled techs and prioritizes it you should have your boat back in less than 2 weeks. Usually the motor is at the dealership within 5 days and takes about a day to install, watertest, and go over. With a weekend in there and the shop being busy it should only be about a two week turnaround, unless for some reason they have to send the old motor back or wait for a company rep to come check the diagnosis.

Did you by chance reverse the boat at a higher rate of speed than idle? If you go in reverse too fast, you can push water back in to the exhaust manifolds and into the combustion chamber.

Once it is rebuilt, I wouldn't worry about any long term problems with the engine.

Did you by chance reverse the boat at a higher rate of speed than idle? If you go in reverse too fast, you can push water back in to the exhaust manifolds and into the combustion chamber.

Once it is rebuilt, I wouldn't worry about any long term problems with the engine.

Hi: Thanks for responding. No I have never done any backing other than in idle. Funny you mention that though because the head mechanic stated he now thinks it could have been hydrolock. Seems to think that due to my downturn non flapper exhaust system (which I gathered is a new option on Bu's) that once I drop a boarder or back off speed quickly, the wake produced will flood the exhausts hence possibly getting into the exhaust manifold. This is something he says he has seen a time or two but not that often. Have you heard anything like this more prevelent with the downturns? They also stated that while backing off speed quickly, I should turn the boat left or right to preclude this possibility. Any thoughts or have you heard this before?

Thanks again.