Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer Brake Fluid - How often do you check it?

Trailer Brake Fluid Checks  

131 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you check it?

• Never / haven't checked it yet
    • Once a year
    • A couple of times a season
    • Monthly (during season)
    • Weekly (during season)
    • Every time I tow the boat

Well I did have an air operated brake bleeder kit and just wanted to flush every bit of it out. For me I like to start at the longest line and take out 8-10oz then the next shortest for 8-10oz and so on. To finish it up I go back to the longest line to bleed 8-10 more oz out.

I was going along with Petes thinking of having a back up to your back up. So I just flushed my flush after flushing. Tease.gif

... I just flushed my flush after flushing.

Greg is used to flushing more than once to get the job done. Whistling.gif

:blush:

Yuk.gif

:lol:

Edited by NorCaliBu
Well I did have an air operated brake bleeder

You'll have to tell me how you got a seal at the fill point of the master cyl. reservoir at MMD.

Sorry about the typo on the previous message ... Flushing the fluid can be done several ways, either pushing fresh fluid or pulling fresh fluid. I have a pressure bleeder so after sucking out the old fluid with a bulb suction device, I put an adapter on the master cylinder and open the wheel cylinders (starting at the farthest first) and flush until clear fluid appears. If you don't have a pressure bleeder, you can pull the old fluid out with a small hand held vacuum pump with a plastic canister (available at auto parts stores for $25.00). Do each wheel cylinder at a time (starting at the farthest first) and the fresh fluid will be sucked into the pump. Just remember to keep the master cylinder full during the process or air will enter the system. The type 5 fluid is great for brake systems with stainless steel components, but I believe the type 3 or 4 fluid actually helps to keep the moisture away from the vulnerable steel parts of non-stainless systems.

Plus1.gif Just flushed my system last week with and used about 3 quarts. I know it was a over kill but had the time and fluid.

Pete put me down on the list with woody. Thumbup.gif

Glad to know what I'm paying for.... ROFL.gif

Sorry about the typo on the previous message ... Flushing the fluid can be done several ways, either pushing fresh fluid or pulling fresh fluid. I have a pressure bleeder so after sucking out the old fluid with a bulb suction device, I put an adapter on the master cylinder and open the wheel cylinders (starting at the farthest first) and flush until clear fluid appears. If you don't have a pressure bleeder, you can pull the old fluid out with a small hand held vacuum pump with a plastic canister (available at auto parts stores for $25.00). Do each wheel cylinder at a time (starting at the farthest first) and the fresh fluid will be sucked into the pump. Just remember to keep the master cylinder full during the process or air will enter the system. The type 5 fluid is great for brake systems with stainless steel components, but I believe the type 3 or 4 fluid actually helps to keep the moisture away from the vulnerable steel parts of non-stainless systems.

Plus1.gif Just flushed my system last week with and used about 3 quarts. I know it was a over kill but had the time and fluid.

Pete put me down on the list with woody. Thumbup.gif

Glad to know what I'm paying for.... ROFL.gif

Thats calling the kettle black and the fluid was for my old truck but never used it.

• 1 month later...
MV7430 Mini Fluid Evacuator put on the wheel cylinder bleed screw. Turn on the air, crack the valve and let it go. I also have a funnel that fits tight into the reservoir so that I can fill the funnel up so that I don't run the master empty.

Hey Greg, wanna come over and help me bleed my brakes? Whistling.gif

... while your here, You could also help me catch the transmission from the Pimpala - when I pluck it out ;) .. it is all ready to drop, just need to unbolt it (already drained, DS off, shifter off etc)

What about Tue night? Do you have a air compresser?

Yup, I have an air compressor.. were you suggesting Tuesday night, or Tue-Night (tonight) ... sometimes I wish i had a goose-tionary ;)

.. Tues night could work, or even Sat night.. after I get back from riding the River Roach with Stewart

Sorry I have a packed weekend already and it's looking that my future weekends are filling up fast. This Tuesday would work for me. I could drop on over after work and bust it all out.

• 1 year later...

Noticed thtat this is an old post,but since it's up again, just wanted to caution those considering a change to DOT 5 brake fluid, a complete tear down of the brake system is reccommended by most as part of the change process. Research the topic thoroughly prior to dumping in DOT 5.

• 3 years later...

Sorry, old thread but thought I would bring it back to life since I am about to repack bearings and check my brakes since I have two hubs that were really hot on the pull home with the 01 Wakesetter VLX I just got. It was the rear hubs on the tandem axle that have the brakes on it.

+1 on the DOT 5. I just rebuilt my entire system, including a new master cylinder, so flushing out the old was easy.