Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

First Boat Purchase: 2004 21' VLX?

cbourgeois

I'm considering purchasing a 04' VLX with 800 hours on it, for my first boat. I'm looking for an all around family boat that i can surf behind & the kids can do a little of everything with. If you have any experience with this model/hull I would be very appreciative for any advice/feedback/suggestions.

I recently picked up an 05 with a bunch of options for 26 and change. After looking at everything out there I would get the 05 or 06 if you can afford it. Better hull. Better ballast system. Etc.

We had an '04 VLX that we sold a few years ago because the family got into surfing. 05-08 is a much better hull for surfing and is actually 5" wider.

What price range are you looking at? I have an 05 in the classifieds that will be quite a bit better than an 04 (new bigger hull).

+1 - I bought an 05 VLX at the end of the season, which is the first year for the redesigned boat. It has a ton of room for a 21.5 footer.

Good luck with your purchase!

-- Mike

I had a 2002 VLX as my first boat (which was the same hull) and I loved it. It was a solid boat, loved the wake, had no complaints. We wakeboarded a lot more then, so didn't surf that much. We did surf it though on Shasta trips, we just obviously had to have more weight. The only thing I would do different in retrospect, I would have yanked the hard tanks, and plumbed in sacs for more ballast.

Surfing a listed boat, any boat, is a learning process. Weight is a fickle thing, so you will just have to find a starting point you like and fine tune from there. If you like the boat, go for it.

I had a 2002 VLX as my first boat (which was the same hull) and I loved it. It was a solid boat, loved the wake, had no complaints. We wakeboarded a lot more then, so didn't surf that much. We did surf it though on Shasta trips, we just obviously had to have more weight. The only thing I would do different in retrospect, I would have yanked the hard tanks, and plumbed in sacs for more ballast.

Surfing a listed boat, any boat, is a learning process. Weight is a fickle thing, so you will just have to find a starting point you like and fine tune from there. If you like the boat, go for it.This

The boat i'm looking at has sacks plumbed in & is in pretty good shape. Thanks for the information. Did you feel like the wedge helped with wake management/distribution?

The boat i'm looking at has sacks plumbed in & is in pretty good shape. Thanks for the information. Did you feel like the wedge helped with wake management/distribution?

The 2004 had factory hard tanks above the floor in the back. Does your have any bags or other ballast?

The 2004 is a nice boat and has a good hull in the SV23, but the 2005-2009 model really is roomier and will treat you better for surfing. If you keep looking you can probably find one sub 30's as people start upgrading after the boat shows. I don't want to steer you away from a good boat, but if you are interested in surfing and you may want to bring guests the 2005 will treat you better in the end.

Also FYI the LSV (23 foot model) had the newer hull design starting in 2004. The VLX started the newer design in 2005.

Good luck!

The 2004 had factory hard tanks above the floor in the back. Does your have any bags or other ballast?

The 2004 is a nice boat and has a good hull in the SV23, but the 2005-2009 model really is roomier and will treat you better for surfing. If you keep looking you can probably find one sub 30's as people start upgrading after the boat shows. I don't want to steer you away from a good boat, but if you are interested in surfing and you may want to bring guests the 2005 will treat you better in the end.

Also FYI the LSV (23 foot model) had the newer hull design starting in 2004. The VLX started the newer design in 2005.

Good luck!

Good to know. Thanks for the information!

I have a 2002 sunscape, which i think is the same hull as the 04 vlx, and the wedge is essential to a nice surf wave. 750lbs rear locker, 540lbs surf side cabin seat and 300lbs bow, wedge down, very nice wave!

I have a 2004 VLX, LCR Motor, with 750's in the rear and 240 pounds up front. It does everything our family wants it to do. Other than a few warranty items when we first purchased it we have had zero issues with it other than blisters. Take the blisters away and it's been a fantastic boat.

I can surf behind my boat just fine with zero issues.

I have an 06 Vride which is the same hull as the one you are looking at. It has been a great boat and does everything we need.

I have long since parted ways with the hard tanks and have the 750's in mine. I put the under seat bag in the bow and usually run another

sack pushed all the way up in the bow under the playpen cushion. The wakeboard wake is really nice....way more than I will ever utilize.

A friend's son is a competitive wakeboarder and he has ridden behind most of the newer boats and always complements the wake on mine.

Not saying it's anything like a G23 but he throws down just fine behind my boat lol.

As for the surf wave it does fine but takes a good bit of weight. We probably surf once or twice a season so not a big issue for me. If that

is your goal you might want the bigger boat. If all you are looking for is a good all around boat for your family I think you will be satisfied with the 04. Good luck and post pics of whatever you end up going with! We likes the pics here!

I have an 04 as well... I couldn't find 05's for less than 35k when I was looking, and found a 04 for 26k. I went with the 04, never been happier. It surfs great and does everything I want. Wakemakers themselves just bought an 04 vlx, and have already made numerous videos of them surfing fat waves behind it.

Whatever you buy, you will be happy, its a boat!