Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Out of the Wakeboard Loop

nohlan4

So with the new boat purchase I am wanting to get back into wakeboarding. The last board I bought new was an obrian swindle in 2003 so that gives you an idea of how little I know about the gear nowadays. I have always been into snowbaoarding quite heavly so I was looking at the new Ronix Camber boards as they are supoose to ride very neautral almost snowboard like form what I have read. As for bindings I like close toes and was looking at the hyperlite system bindings but they look like they are not very forgiving when falling. Any opinions on a intemediate level setup that would give me room to progress in? Alittle more info 5'11" 170lbs riding behind a G23, would consider myself an interermediate rider, FS/BS 180's, w2w grabs both ways, flat water stuff, no inverts as of yet though.

Test them from your local board shop. All boards are pretty different and boat wake effects how the board reacts as well.

Sidenote - You dont wakeboard and bought a G23?

Test them from your local board shop. All boards are pretty different and boat wake effects how the board reacts as well.

Sidenote - You dont wakeboard and bought a G23?

Don't really have the oppurtunity to demo as there arent any board shops in my area. Would be looking at buying at the next boat show which is in March which means there is still 2' of ice on the lake. I bought the G23 to get back into wakeboarding, also other people in my crew wakeboard frequently, also surfing and also having a social time on the water. Don't have to be a pro to buy a G23.

tried to post a discussion from another website but it wouldn't work so I just messaged you the post. Hope it helps.

As a side note, we have several Ronix boards on our boat. I'm an intermediate rider and enjoy the camber boards, the Ronix One and the William. My current favorite is the camber board as it just feels softer on landing to me...which helps as I'm not as young as I wish I was.

Congrats on the G23

And regards to bindings. We have all Ronix. I like the Parks model-softer flex and slightly shorter. Some of the guys use the One boots and love them. I personally like the Parks model but again, just personal preference.

Edited by MystiikVLX

Last year I picked up a CWB Standard with closed toe bindings. Went to shop near me and picked their brain quite a bit about riding experience and style and upgraded to this board from my beginner board. I'm about your size, 5'9 175. I loved the board although it took a little to get used to. Looking forward to using it with VLX this year! Unfortunately my only wakeboarding has been behind an I/0, which really did not produce a clean wake! So I'm certainly looking forward to getting out there this year and see if the new boat improves my skills, ha ha...like you I'm not as young as I used to be and face plants seem to hurt more!

I would decide if you want a 3 stage, blended, or continuous rocker first.

As far as boots go, I have the ones, franks, and hyperlite closed toes, and open toes. I like the franks the best.

As far as rocker I was thinking continuous because it seems to be the most forgiving. But camber has me interested as it seems to be forgiving as well as a different ride style with more even weighting in the stance. I want a pretty flexible boot because I'm not a hard charger when I cut.

If Ronix, I would think you would want the William or the Bill. I have the Bill and it is a fun board to ride, lots of glide speed, very smooth. I would go that route over a camber.

I also have a hyper lite Franchise that is a continuous that I use as my boat board. I like that board as well, I feel it has more pop than the Bill. I have it for sale in the classifieds if your interested I can sell with out the bindings.

If Ronix, I would think you would want the William or the Bill. I have the Bill and it is a fun board to ride, lots of glide speed, very smooth. I would go that route over a camber.

I also have a hyper lite Franchise that is a continuous that I use as my boat board. I like that board as well, I feel it has more pop than the Bill. I have it for sale in the classifieds if your interested I can sell with out the bindings.

Any reason you don't like camber?

I have been really impressed with the quality of Ronix bindings. Seem to have some great designs and hold up well. (I have gone through 3 of the high end brands in the last 3 summers and Ronix is who seems to be really impressing me).

As for boards I love my Watson. I have been riding it for 3 years now but have not been on much else.

• Like 2

Don't really have the oppurtunity to demo as there arent any board shops in my area. Would be looking at buying at the next boat show which is in March which means there is still 2' of ice on the lake. I bought the G23 to get back into wakeboarding, also other people in my crew wakeboard frequently, also surfing and also having a social time on the water. Don't have to be a pro to buy a G23.

Just a really big wake to jump into is all. Even empty its heavier than my boat fully loaded.

Just a really big wake to jump into is all. Even empty its heavier than my boat fully loaded.

It's actually not that bad at all. Empty it's a beginner wake I would say, it's not all about weight, it's pretty mellow with zero ballast and ncrs set to zero

And regards to bindings. We have all Ronix. I like the Parks model-softer flex and slightly shorter. Some of the guys use the One boots and love them. I personally like the Parks model but again, just personal preference.

Plus one to this. I prefer the parks for the flex, but it's personal preference. My buddy hates my bindings and loves his one's.

I wasnt a fan of the system boots. Just semed like 1 more thing to put on/take off when getting in and out of the water. What Ive noticed is people take off the board leave on boots, walk around boat before taking them off(nono in my boat) then they never put the boots back into the board bindings to hang on board racks and they end up as 1 more wet thing in the boat. Although,might not be bad in a G where you can toss the boots in the way back lockers and then itll be lighter to throw the board in the racks and wont drip as much as it would if it had boots there.

• Like 2

I wasnt a fan of the system boots. Just semed like 1 more thing to put on/take off when getting in and out of the water. What Ive noticed is people take off the board leave on boots, walk around boat before taking them off(nono in my boat) then they never put the boots back into the board bindings to hang on board racks and they end up as 1 more wet thing in the boat. Although,might not be bad in a G where you can toss the boots in the way back lockers and then itll be lighter to throw the board in the racks and wont drip as much as it would if it had boots there.

Do you think they are more prone to causing injury because absolutley no chance of your foot coming out?

If you like your knees and back consider looking at slingshot. They make really nice boards that absorb a lot of impact when landing. Two advanced riders I tow ride them and can't say enough good things about them. They are going on there third season reordering there boards. Definitely worth a look.

I love my obrien for what its worth. Hard to find, but totally worth the $$. Ronix boards dont seem to last like most of their stuff. LF makes decent stuff too.

Ive ridden all kinds of boards and I would suggest that if you are getting back into it, buy a continuous rocker board, maybe a 5 stage, but stay away from a 3 stage. A 3 stage is a much more abrupt kick off the wake and harder to control. Get a big board as itll be softer on the knees too.

A few boards Id suggest.

Ronix Code boards

Obrien Rome

Boots

I love velcro. Easy in and out. No loss of edging ability.

LF Vantage

Obrien GTX

Most comfortable boots Ive ever worn

Ronix Ones

If you like your knees and back consider looking at slingshot. They make really nice boards that absorb a lot of impact when landing. Two advanced riders I tow ride them and can't say enough good things about them. They are going on there third season reordering there boards. Definitely worth a look.

I have been looking at the slingshot response as a possible option.

I love my obrien for what its worth. Hard to find, but totally worth the $$. Ronix boards dont seem to last like most of their stuff. LF makes decent stuff too.

Ive ridden all kinds of boards and I would suggest that if you are getting back into it, buy a continuous rocker board, maybe a 5 stage, but stay away from a 3 stage. A 3 stage is a much more abrupt kick off the wake and harder to control. Get a big board as itll be softer on the knees too.

A few boards Id suggest.

Ronix Code boards

Obrien Rome

Boots

I love velcro. Easy in and out. No loss of edging ability.

LF Vantage

Obrien GTX

Most comfortable boots Ive ever worn

Ronix Ones

Whats a decent boot for a mid range boot? Ronix ones are nice but there pricey....also heard there pretty stiff, I kinda want a medium flex boot.

I have these bindings on my cable board which btw is the slingshot reflex model. Nice cable board. The ktv bindings fit great and are easy to get on and off. The velcro straps hold tight and release easy when you want to take your foot out of the binding.

https://www.buywake.com/slingshot-2016-ktv-wakeboard-bindings

Edit, just found these on evo for a great price, same boot just 2015 model.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/slingshot-ktv-2015.aspx

These shred towns are also a great binding

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/slingshot-shredtown-2015.aspx

Edited by Fman

I have these bindings on my cable board which btw is the slingshot reflex model. Nice cable board. The ktv bindings fit great and are easy to get on and off. The velcro straps hold tight and release easy when you want to take your foot out of the binding.

https://www.buywake.com/slingshot-2016-ktv-wakeboard-bindings

Edit, just found these on evo for a great price, same boot just 2015 model.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/slingshot-ktv-2015.aspx

These shred towns are also a great binding

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/slingshot-shredtown-2015.aspx

I do like those bindings but I think I will have to go around and try a bunch of stuff on. I wish I could order from EVO but they dont ship to Canada....