Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2006 Wakesetter 23 LSV Surf Wake Set Up

mjkelleykids

I am throwing my mercy out to the masses in order to try and save myself tons of time on the lake trying to dial in the best surf wake for this boat. I understand best can mean different things, so lets just all try and agree deep and high and long with push and little whitewater.. As I understand my particular boat and hull so far , I can discovered that the 2005-2009 Malibu LSV have a G2 style and actually dont require much weight in the bow and like to ride nose high while surfing, unlike the newer models that do require bow weight.. We have tried several different combinations and havent found the right one yet.. So far a pretty good wake , but nothing to brag about.. Fairly high, and short and small surf zone with lots of white wash. Any recipes that produce good waves would be welcomed.. Our usual set up is as follows:

People - average 5-6.. 2 adults and 4 teenagers

Regular style surfing- unfortunately not goofy as it appears goofy wave much better

Rear port factory ballast full

Plumed in additional 600 lb sumo full

Wedge all way down or a click up

All people in port back surf side

Weve tried filling center and front ballast not much difference. havent tried to fill any port coffins yet.. What is everyone else running in this particular set up to get the best wake?

Edited by mjkelleykids

I have the same boat as you. The best success I have had is all tanks full (less) non surf side rear. I have a 750 in the surf side locker. 1 person on the sunpad and the rest right in the corner. I have the wedge all the way down if there are only a few people.The wake had great push, but is a little short like this, but you can go ropeless all day. When I have more people I speed the boat up to about 11.8 and pull the wedge all the way up. That's with about 600-700 lbs of people and that wave is long with a little less push. Very surfable though.

Hope this helps.

I like to add weight in the bow as well on top of what your doing and what others have said. Fill the bow tank then either throw a few people up there or add a small bag 400-500 lbs. Even a 250 bag helps to get rid of some of the wash. good luck.

I had a 2004 23WSLSV that we surfed for years and now have a 2010 23WSLSV. We've surfed many hours with just a driver and surfer. I weight them both the same. I've set up several boats like our's after the owners surfed our's.

Fill Bow, Center and rear port side locker

BFI 1100 in the rear locker. You can't fill the sac completely but it will fill the space in the locker area. Fill to bottom of the inside gunnel. I've never reenforced the panel between the locker and the motor. I leave the table in place and put a pad over the table post mount.

BFI seat bottom sac under side seat, fill until it is level with the top of the seat base. Again, you can't fill the sac completely but it does fill the space under the seats.

Wedge down and 10.5 mph by GPS. If you have a power wedge, a couple of clicks up make the wave taller but shorter.

I use reversible pumps for the sacs.

I do not have any exposed sacs with this setup. It still helps with people sitting on the surf side and not spread around the boat.

Many thanks for the replies back to the post.. Its definately a learn and tweak as you go type of process. Interesting that the team at wakemakers told me to not put any weight at all in either the center or front stock ballast. Which is what I did and didnt get the results I expected.. I will try and mimic the set up listed above. Just to clarify , What side seat are you referring to having additional ballast on the surf side? Is that the wedge seat in the corner or the coffin seat that runs longways down the left side? And what size bag or you using, assuming its a ballast bag filled with a pump then put inside seat.. Thanks

BFI/Fly High 1100lb sac goes in the rear locker.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61_180&products_id=6695

BFI/Fly High Seat Bottom Sac goes under the long side seat from the locker forward.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1063

These sacs are hidden in the locker and under the seat, not laying all over the boat to walk over or sit on top of.

My pumps are mounted in the boat. You can use the reversible pumps that are plumbed in or the Tsunami style pumps that you throw over the side to fill and empty the sacs where they belong. You will never fill a 500+lb sac and move it anywhere.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61_181&products_id=1030

The links above are examples. Shop around to get the best prices.

The underseat bag Ronnie posted is too big the fit under the port side seats, I've got the Fly High 370 lb bag that when filled, partially lifts the seats. The 1100 lb bag in the rear locker fills the hatch pretty well, and I've braced the engine divider. I've got 4 batteries and 4 amps on a custom rack in the storage compartment. That all weighs about 400 lbs and I also run a 150 lb bag up front in the bow on top of the 250 lb hard tank. That's probably 3000 lb total ballast. I run the wedge all the way down or a few clicks up. It makes a very nice wave and the water is right at the rub rail. I'll run a little less water in the rear and underseat if I have a big crew. My current prop is a 2247, but may switch that out to something a little more aggressive this winter. It acts too much like my 1273, so want to get something different in case I ever use the boat at altitude.

• Like 1

Actually that bag I posted does fill the underseat area completely. Like I said, it will not fill the bag tight BUT it does fill up the area under the seat. It's the same as your 370 but 10" more width. Your's is only 16" wide, mine is 26" wide. Your narrow sac was designed to fit in a ski locker so it's narrow. Check out your space under the seat. The space is open under the cupholders to the side of the boat. I've been running that sac for 8 years so I guess it works.

• Like 1

Here are my two setups for a 2007 23 LSV. We are skimmers.

Listed

Bow- Empty

Center - Full

Surf Side Rear - Full + 450 on top

Opposite Rear - Empty

Surf Side Under Seats - 370 + 4 to 6 people

Floor - 560

Wedge - all the way down

Speed 10.0

Wicked Wave

Bow- Full

Center - Full

Surf Side Rear - Full + 450 on top

Opposite Rear - Full + 450 on top

Floor - 800

People - 2/3 on surf side 1/3 non surf side.

Wedge - no used.

Speed 10.2

Both setups are about the same weight. The pocket is much longer with the Wicked Wave and overall is just a better wave. Only drawback to the Wicked Wave is the handling and increased full consumption.

Edited by turbonine
  • 4 weeks later...

Dude, get a Wicked Wake system. I is incredible. No more worrying about where to put ballllllast. I fill all of my ballast tanks full, no wedge, and 10.4. Wake is incredible. Check out there Facebook page for pictures

• 1 year later...

BFI/Fly High 1100lb sac goes in the rear locker.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61_180&products_id=6695

BFI/Fly High Seat Bottom Sac goes under the long side seat from the locker forward.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?products_id=1063

These sacs are hidden in the locker and under the seat, not laying all over the boat to walk over or sit on top of.

My pumps are mounted in the boat. You can use the reversible pumps that are plumbed in or the Tsunami style pumps that you throw over the side to fill and empty the sacs where they belong. You will never fill a 500+lb sac and move it anywhere.

http://www.boardstop.com/product_info.php?cPath=59_61_181&products_id=1030

The links above are examples. Shop around to get the best prices.

Hey Ronnie, I just bought a 2004 23 LSV and you say you used to own one. I want to install a system like yours to have as much weight as possible hidden. Do you ever surf the starboard side or just the port side with this setup? I ride regular but my Fiance is goofy, at least on a snowboard. We haven't tried surfing yet. Is there enough room behind the driver to install a bag and have a symmetrical setup? Also do you need any extra bow weight with the huge rear sacs? What prop?

Edited by Gavin17

The problem with the starboard side is the cooler gets in the way. I've seen a few on here that remove the cooler and run weight up that side of the boat. I've never measured that side to see if the seat bottom sack will fit but it would probably be close. You are going to have to drain and fill each side when switching from regular to goofy which will be time consuming.

I like the reversible pumps. With two pumps you can fill both sacks on one side at the same time. You can use directional flow valves between the pumps and sacks to divert water from one side of the boat to the other.

We run a little extra bow weight sometimes depending on how many people are onboard. If it's two of us, I usually put some in the bow, maybe 500lbs on the seats.

I ran Acme 1235 props on those LSV's.

Thanks for all the info. The boat I just bought is in storage and it's killing me that I can't go check it out to measure and plan all the spring projects I have for it. I'd install reversible pumps as well and put one pump/ bag. So I think to switch sides I could just hit the pump switches and swim around for a few minutes while the boat does its thing right? If I used a valve it would take longer because I couldn't drain and fill at the same time when switching sides.

Also I just saw you're selling your 2010. Good luck. It looks great, I have a thing for blue boats.

Did your 2004 have the base monsoon engine? I'm trying to figure out if the 1235 prop will work for me as well. I'd like to be able to slalom occasionally if possible.

Yes, each stock tank has its own pump. Actually each tank has two pumps. One to fill and one to drain. If you are adding extra ballast bags, you'll need a way to fill and drain them. You can use a piggy back system to fill one or you can have a pump you throw over the side. The other option is a plumbed in reversible pump. You'll need to decide which option is best for you. Four reversible pumps will take up some room and you'll need to plan accordingly.

I don't know if you still have the stock rear tanks in your lockers but most take them out and use sacks. There's not much room in the locker with the above the floor tanks for extra bags.

Everything in my boat is stock. For a surf setup I'd definitely pull the rear hard tanks and put in bags. I talked to wakemakers yesterday and they said they had a 900 lb bag that fits perfectly. I see some folks use an 1100 lb bag that wont quite fill all the way. Either way, once I do that won't the stock fill and drain pumps take a long time to fill the new huge rear bags? I think I'd want higher performance pumps on those too.

Could I use two reversible pumps and valves? One for port locker and port seat bag, one for starboard. Then I could still fill one side and empty the other side but only need to buy two reversible pumps.

This is going to take some planning.

I don't know if a piggyback system would work with two bags on the same level, someone may have done it and can chime in on this. Piggy back systems fill one bag/tank with overflow from another. Normally you are filling a bag on top of a hard tank. I suppose you could run a T fitting to both bags on each side to use one reversible pump. It would extend your fill and drain times over two pumps per side but you could drain one side and fill the other, saving time there. I think I might add a shut off valve on the forward bags if you only use the rear locker bags for wake boarding. Wakemakers would be a great resource to help with your planning for the system.

I used 1100lb bags in the lockers. You can't fill them completely but they expand to fill the area. Probably the same weight as the 900's would be. You'll probably have to reinforce the engine wall dividers to keep them from pushing in. There is a sort of bulkhead panel at the front of the lockers that restrict the bags from filing the area. You can remove the panel, I think it has 3 screws in it, Peel back the carpet and cut off the angled bottom part of the panel. Then glue the carpet back for a factory look. This will allow the front of the bag to fill and extend the locker area for the larger bags. You won't have to drill into the hull for fill holes if you use the factory inlets and valves for the locker fill side of the tanks.

When you remove your rear pumps with the stock tanks, you can use the dash switches to run the reversible pumps. You'll probably have to use a relay to turn on the pumps as the wiring for the factory pumps won't be big enough to carry the current.

I don't think I'd use a piggy back system. I'm thinking I can use a switchable Y valve after the pump.

So you could fill the port side rear bag then flip the valve and fill the port side seat bag if you wanted more.

Re using the stock dash switches would be great and installing relays isn't a big deal, good idea.

Thanks for all the info. I'm a supporting member now!

Thanks for Supporting!

After a little thought. I don't think a T between two bags would work in this case. The locker sack, being a larger bag than the side under seat sack, would always be trying to drain into the side sack because the locker sack is taller. You would have to have a valve there separate the two bags. You could probably drain both at the same time though with a valve just on the side sack side of the T.

I wasn't thinking of using a T I was thinking about a switchable Y valve like this one. ehttp://www.wakemakers.com/bosworth-y-valve.html

That way you could fill 2 bags independently with one pump. If we were surfing and wanted to fill all the bags I'd start filling one, then when it was full switch the valve over to the other one. You'd have to do the same thing to empty them both. If we were just wake boarding I could leave the valves set on the rear bags and fill them as needed. It would be like the side ones aren't there.

Now I've just got to figure out what bag will fit in the starboard side if I remove the cooler.

Is there any room to add lead in the bow or upgrade the bow ballast? I'd like to not have to put a bag on the seat if we are surfing with only a few passengers.

There is room up past the cup holders on each side on the bow to stick bags or bricks of lead. I have made a couple of lead brick of old wheel weights. Made them thin so that they will fit under the seats and between the tank. 9X9 cake pan 1 inch thick is around 35-40lbs easy to sandwich there and move later. Couple of bread pan bricks would slip up past the cup holders on each side.