Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Supra SC 450/550

Fman

ajaqa3ub.jpg

Loving the dash! That billet aluminum will hold up much better than the chrome plastic stuff in the MXZ. Plus, they use the Murphy system. Murphy has GPS cruise and nav standard. Plus, Supra has height adjustable seat as well. If it has snap out carpet, that is great. IMO, the latest Supra products are every bit as good (if not better in several areas) than the MXZ on fit and finish items. I have not been behind any other supra except for a 2011 sunsport 22v. The wave was good, but different. Very peaky wave.

Loving the dash! That billet aluminum will hold up much better than the chrome plastic stuff in the MXZ. Plus, they use the Murphy system. Murphy has GPS cruise and nav standard. Plus, Supra has height adjustable seat as well. If it has snap out carpet, that is great. IMO, the latest Supra products are every bit as good (if not better in several areas) than the MXZ on fit and finish items. I have not been behind any other supra except for a 2011 sunsport 22v. The wave was good, but different. Very peaky wave.

The Supra has the old perfect pass system as a standard. Just cant get past the fact that my first boat had the same system and that was back in 2004.

I agree the chrome plastic stuff has to go but overall I think this looks a lot better. Especially the leather.

LSV247DashProfile.jpg

• Like 2

Ok first lets be honest. I just love how the Malibu crowd always likes to say the big three. I know your not talking total sales because Malibu sells about 2k boats a year, MC sells about 1900 a year and CC sells less than 1k. So you have to be comparing boats then. There is no comparison between a high end MC or Nautique and a Malibu period. But then again with either CC or MC being 30+k more they should be the top tier boats and THEY ARE.

Ok first lets be honest. I just love how the Malibu crowd always likes to say the big three. I know your not talking total sales because Malibu sells about 2k boats a year, MC sells about 1900 a year and CC sells less than 1k. So you have to be comparing boats then. There is no comparison between a high end MC or Nautique and a Malibu period. But then again with either CC or MC being 30+k more they should be the top tier boats and THEY ARE.

Before the most recent x-star and the G series the big 3 were very close price wise.

Not to pick apart your argument, but CCs and MCs are typically about 8k more, at the most 15k for high end like the G23 compared to a similar 24mxz. Big three means the top three boat manufactures in most people minds, while CC and MC may be 1 and 2, most people(malibu owners or not) see malibu as #3

Edited by CJAY

Cjay again as I stated the big three is only used 99% of the time on the Malibu board. Top 3 in what? Price? Sales? As I was saying Nautique would not qualify if we are talking sales, they are under 1k a year. With that Malibu would be #1 and MC #2 and a host of others could be #3. Now price for top of the line boats Nautique and MC are quite a bit more when you configure the MXZ 24 with all the whistles and bells you can put on the boat and the trailer. Both MC and Nautique are over 20k higher priced. And yes I do believe they are worth the extra money if someone wants the best fit and finish and options on the market.

• Like 1

The best 3 boats in the industry. True or not, this is a very familiar saying in the industry and it refers to MC, CC and Bu in no particular order.

Cjay again as I stated the big three is only used 99% of the time on the Malibu board. Top 3 in what? Price? Sales? As I was saying Nautique would not qualify if we are talking sales, they are under 1k a year. With that Malibu would be #1 and MC #2 and a host of others could be #3. Now price for top of the line boats Nautique and MC are quite a bit more when you configure the MXZ 24 with all the whistles and bells you can put on the boat and the trailer. Both MC and Nautique are over 20k higher priced. And yes I do believe they are worth the extra money if someone wants the best fit and finish and options on the market.

I've priced them out, and the 24MXZ fully loaded was exactly 15k less than a similar optioned G23( while the SA450 was 2k more than a better optioned 24MXZ.....). Price has nothing to do with it, CC, MC, and BU are in many peoples minds the leaders in reputation and in innovation. I mean no offense, but your SA basically looks like a MXZ with a CC tower. The new SCs look like an LSVs with CC towers. Surfgate and NSS came out of these three. Other builders are catching up, but go to WW and ask who the big three are and see what answers you get. it is the current perception in the industry.

Edited by CJAY

The dealer in your area is way to high on the SA IMHO. Exact opposite here. The MXZ 22 was higher priced out the door with less options.

Yeah prices change based on location, but yes 116k for a 22 foot SA450 is absurd when you compare it to a 24mxz loaded to the gills including a 550hp engine at 114K.

Here the SA450 was $119 and the MXZ 22 was $124. That is retail on both not out the door price.

These were boat show prices before tax. Still I think over 100k for a 22 foot boat is ridiculous and not competitive with the market at all. A 22mxz for 124k has to be MSRP, because I know you can get them in the high 80s. The SA450 at the boat show was their asking price, which wasn't far off MSRP

Sure if you like UGLY. :)

Sure if you like UGLY. :)

Wait a minute, that isn't a valid argument.... LoL

Lets compare some real features among the big three.... Each one has its pros and cons. You have to pick the one that checks the most boxes on your list.

Edited by bamabonners

These were boat show prices before tax. Still I think over 100k for a 22 foot boat is ridiculous and not competitive with the market at all. A 22mxz for 124k has to be MSRP, because I know you can get them in the high 80s. The SA450 at the boat show was their asking price, which wasn't far off MSRP

The 119k for the SA and the 124k for the MXZ 22 were both MSRP. Out the door the MXZ was over 100k and higher priced than the SA. Price is what it is and both are great boats. For me it was the SA as price didn't play a factor in our decision to purchase. I think all these boats are getting out of hand on the prices. Especially when we can only really enjoy them about 3 1/2 months a year where I live.

• Like 1

You must have a Supra dealer willing to deal, and a Malibu dealer that won't. Here the SA450 was $97k. The MXZ 22 with LS3 and same options, plus surfgate, was $90k. If you factor out the surfgate option the SA is nearly $10k more. After spending quite a bit of time in it I did not feel the interior was better/nicer than the Malibu.

The Supra warranty also does not compare to the Malibu warranty. I do think it's a very nice boat, and I am sure the wake is great. I could understand the SA if it were $10k less than the MXZ, but certainly not for a similar or even higher price, especially considering the warranty differences. I can't imagine spending $97k on a boat and being out of warranty on nearly everything except the engine in just 1 year.

9357023741_8e91f3a383_b.jpg

Yikes, that Supra warranty is pretty weak sauce... on all levels, especially with all the electronic components these days on any of these boats. I don't think anyone is not saying Skiers Choice is putting a great product out with SA and now appears with the SC. It just seems like every new boat release from Supra that gets any "praise" imo, looks like a Malibu spin off.... most people are aware Skiers Choice hired a few people from Malibu awhile back... when I first saw that picture I thought it was the new LSV design... lets face it, there "Mojo" boat that Supra designed from scratch looks hideous, how they ever got that thing signed off from the big man I will never know... and regarding the comment on the 22SSV wake, that hull sucks, plain and simple... they should be redesigning that boat, the wake is impossible to get dialed in and its like hitting a brick wall, I experienced it for multiple years.... which is why I went to a Malibu... maybe the new SC will replace the SSV????

I do like the adjustable seat height in the SA, dash looks great, and there rear facing seating options are also nice. I do think there biggest hurdle for 2013-14 will be not having a surf system, some don't care, but many buyers are now becoming aware of it and want it. I just took some people out today surfing with Surfgate and they were blown away with the surf wake and how easy it is to dial in, switch riders, sit in the boat comfortably, etc.... looking forward to see what MC, and Skiers Choice have coming out for a surf system, there must be something on the drawing board.

Edited by Fman

Where is the "chrome plastic stuff" in the MXZ????... last I saw at my dealer it was stainless and hand wrapped upholstery... did they start using plastic in the 2014 MXZ? I have not ever seen a post on this site about any Malibu dash coming apart or fading for any reasons. Not sure if you were aware but you can order any Malibu with Zero off or Malibu GPS cruise, both are great speed control systems.... using the GPS cruise right now, and its rock solid.

A couple of weeks ago I met Shane as he came through town with the SC450. I had a chance to spend about an hour with him crawling around in the boat discussing features, design decisions, etc. I don't really think it's fair to say that it's a Malibu clone as some have insinuated. It's a very unique boat with many unique design cues and interior features. My favorite part is still the tower and bimini. Also, the boat now has quad racks! The dash is okay, but I like the Malibu dash better (as pictured earlier in this thread). You just cannot beat the Malibu layout, the fact that it's 100% wrapped in soft leather like vinyl, and the contrasting stitching. It's like a Porsche interior.

I think the way I'd sum up the SC is that's it's the same boat as the SA only with a shorter, traditional bow. Behind the windshield the layout is virtually identical (the SC is actually a couple of inches wider and deeper than the SA, but otherwise identical). Obviously the helm and tower are the same as the SA. So is the running surface so the wake will be similar as well (that's a good thing because I was super impressed with the SA wake when I tested it... firm and clean all the way down to 17mph).

My only complaints with the new Supras (and I shared this with Shane too) are:

1. No surf system - It's impossible to imagine that Skiers Choice will continue for much longer w/out a surf system of some sort. With all they are investing in R&D right now, there's no way they will leave this unaddressed. I don't know that from any reputable source, it's just logical.
  2. The price - I'm personally of the opinion that a Supra should not cost more than a Malibu. It can be close, but not more. Sorry. Supras just don't command the same resale value.

Here are few pics I snapped that night when Shane was in town. I wasn't able to demo the boat as my schedule was crazy that week (Q2 close), but Shane was kind enough to meet me at Bridgeport Shopping Center of all places (an outdoor mall where I happened to be wandering around that night with my family)... such a cool guy. You should have seen the looks on people's faces as he towed that boat in a loop around that place... lots of stares and dropped jaws. It was funny. We even got yelled at my the Mall Cop for parking illegally. :rofl:

20130712_192333_zpse55df676.jpg

20130712_192316_zpsa29eaecb.jpg

20130712_192320_zps2f98c974.jpg

Like the dash, very modern.

Not a fan of the entire wrap around pontoon seating in a lot of boats these days. I prefer a small walk through like on a CC 226.