Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ten beginner Wakeboard Tricks

wakeparadise

Hey Crew,

I'm registering for a wakeboard competition in July and I need to do ten different wakeboard tricks. No inverts and nothing more than a 180.

I don't even know of 5 let alone 10. Are there any wakeboarders that can come

up with a 2 pass - set that would fit the bill?

Ryan

No inverts for beginners, not really sure if that's the norm or not since its my first comp. how do the judges know what your reg and switch stance is?

EZ surface tricks like 180 or 360. Butter slide is easy too. Blind butter slide is a crowd pleaser due to the spray. Be careful though, you can get your bell rung on that one.

I don't think the judges have to know what your switch/regular is, just that you do them both. There's 8 basic 180s - HS FS, HS BS, TS FS and TS BS regular and switch. Throw in grabs such as an indy, mute, melan, tail and nose. Also could do a backside shifty. And if you have them, a raley and batwing.

I don't think the judges have to know what your switch/regular is, just that you do them both. There's 8 basic 180s - HS FS, HS BS, TS FS and TS BS regular and switch. Throw in grabs such as an indy, mute, melan, tail and nose. Also could do a backside shifty. And if you have them, a raley and batwing.

Careful bro... :lol:

So much to digest... Ok. Ill have to go over the trick list and pick things I can accomplish. I'm "good" at a wake to wake with an Indy grab and I'm just "ok" and a HS FS 180, no grab. Everything else I think I suck at so I have a lot of work to do...

So much to digest... Ok. Ill have to go over the trick list and pick things I can accomplish. I'm "good" at a wake to wake with an Indy grab and I'm just "ok" and a HS FS 180, no grab. Everything else I think I suck at so I have a lot of work to do...

After your contest start working on a back roll. Most bang for your buck trick out there. Pretty easy to learn and the wow factor is there.

There's probably 10 grabs you can do alone. As mikey mentioned there are 8 180's. When we first got our boat I had a junior-pro kid out and he said if you want to get good learn the 8 180's. This was great advise that I never took, I became a heelside hero with 2 inverts and some decent attempts at raleys. It's more impressive when you have a boatload of inexperienced friends but it's really not considered good riding. None-the-less wakeboarding is not my cup of tea anyways.

In the meantime, what are your plans for this weekend?

I remember my first tournament, there was no way I had enough tricks. After it though I found out what I needed to learn and what I needed to work on to compete at that level. Competing is a great way to focus your riding and progress.

Check out INT's rule book, it has a great list of tricks and grabs and it breaks them down by levels. If you are jumping the wake and such check out the novice section

http://www.intleague.com/intinsider/#/0

Have FUN!

There's probably 10 grabs you can do alone. As mikey mentioned there are 8 180's. When we first got our boat I had a junior-pro kid out and he said if you want to get good learn the 8 180's. This was great advise that I never took, I became a heelside hero with 2 inverts and some decent attempts at raleys. It's more impressive when you have a boatload of inexperienced friends but it's really not considered good riding. None-the-less wakeboarding is not my cup of tea anyways.

In the meantime, what are your plans for this weekend?

:rofl:

I thought I was cool. Now I just :dontknow:

:rofl:

I thought I was cool. Now I just :dontknow:

Your as cool as you feel. And going upside down across the wake is even worth the boring cut back across. It really depends what you want to do. I was never meant to be a wakeboarder anyways, give me a ripstick instead!

I agree 100%, I had just never heard the term heelside hero. That is awesome! I don't know why but I just needed to have that back roll in my pocket. I really want to get back to the basics this year. I'm clearing the wake toe side but need to really focus on all those 180's.

I can't even jump the wake yet. Have no idea what the hell keeps going wrong. My 11 yr old can though.....

Progressive edge, stand tall. Do some youtubing on how to get that pop. Once you get it once you'll be super addicted

All 8 180's. And for grabs, big, out in the flats, grabs tweaked way out. Or pop a big Indy stiffy. I will do a big wake 2 wake jump and pop the board directly out in front of me for a solid indy stiffy. It looks really cool. My other favorite grab is a huge tail grab and wrap it 180 so you fly through the air backwards. People like that grab more than some of my inverts.

trickprint_2_14.jpg

Edited by wakedncsu

Here are the big points about a comp IMO:

Always link tricks back and forth across the wake...HS or Switch TS then TS or Switch HS then HS or Switch TS. Make sure you never just cross a wake without doing a trick. (Don't be a Heelside Hero)

Write down all your tricks that you approach from either direction. Rank order each trick in the two directions in terms of what you can stick the most consistently. Start with the more consistent tricks and work your way down the list....again linked back and forth across the wake. If you have more HS tricks, start on that side.

Try to learn a grab with an approach from both directions. For example, do a HS W2W Indy grab then come back across with either a TS or switch HS W2W Indy grab. Judges like to see that you can do the same trick from both directions

I usually put together my lesson kids' comp pass together several weeks before the comp using the above guidelines. We will practice that run as much as possible during lesson and their own time until they have it down solid.

Since your comp isn't until July, you have lots of time to build up your trick list. If you aren't already, learn to pop correctly and go W2W from both directions. Learn all the rear hand grabs first, then all the front hand grabs. Make your grabs legit....no Tindys, etc. Learn all the surface 180s in the flats going slow, then take those to 360. Then learn all 8 of those 180s one wake. Then take all 8 of those W2W. Then learn to grab all of them W2W. Once these are complete, time to move on to base inverts and spins.

Have fun and best of luck!

There is but one rule to win a beginner wake comp ...at some point you HAVE to throw a HUGE fashion air. Not only will the judges laugh, style points will be coming your way and you will probbaly be the only one who does it....fashion airs are a lost art.

Progressive edge, stand tall. Do some youtubing on how to get that pop. Once you get it once you'll be super addicted

Yeah I know the how to, it just isn't happening. I totally committed Saturday, stood tall, somehow I came crashing down hard enough to dislocate my shoulder again. I got the pop, can case the wake but every time I try & go for it to clear it I crash. Pisses me off, I clear 100' jumps on my dirt bike on the weekends & I cant jump a 15-20' wake gap????

My son competed in the INT last season, here is a list of tricks for different brackets.... this might help you out. After watching multiple competitions get ready to hurry up and wait.... you get about 1-2 minutes of riding all day.... after my son did it last season I am hoping he does not ask to do it again this year... its a good experience but there are so many brackets, its tough to get everyone a tow. Maybe your league will have two boats running at one time...

http://www.intleague.com/wp-content/uploads/Forms/AttackSheets/Entro-Expert.pdf

Yeah I know the how to, it just isn't happening. I totally committed Saturday, stood tall, somehow I came crashing down hard enough to dislocate my shoulder again. I got the pop, can case the wake but every time I try & go for it to clear it I crash. Pisses me off, I clear 100' jumps on my dirt bike on the weekends & I cant jump a 15-20' wake gap????

Here's what you do. "Load the rope". Basically try to have a tug of war with the boat, lean back and cut as hard as possible, tightening the rope. Cut into the wake as hard and fast as possible. You will FLY if you do that.