Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New 23 for 2014?!?!

huskey87

Maybe the transom seats could be optional, like how they option different hull types. From what I hear the LSV is their most popular boat so seems like they could have some different molds...

Yeah, seems like people either love them or hate them. It would make sense, but like skurfer said, that would just drive costs up...

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have some potential info on this in a few weeks....

Malibudude -- any update what the 2014 surfgate changes are? System/control changes, physical changes, or both? Can't wait...

Thanks

Why do people like the transom seats? It's not like you can use them when you're riding, and they take away storage and/or ballast space. Do people really have that short of legs these days that the normal sun pad is too high?

• Like 2

i was dead set on a 23 for 13 but this thread has made me realize i can float the vlx for a few more months. anyone hear of a release date? mid to late summer would be cool.

Seriously it's not like you're going to see a brand new boat. There will be some changes for sure but nothing that would make me wait a season to buy. Hell my 13 lsv is under construction right now!

i know chatt, you are right. the truth is that we will be having our 3rd child and final child (finally a boy) at the end of july and we decided with at least a month or two of our summer going toward that it would make sense to wait until next year anyway. if it wasn't for that i would have jumped on a 13.

btw you trade every year anyway. lol. i think after the next trade i am going to try to start trading more often again. before our current boat we traded every two years.

Thanks but no point needed. I wasn't trying to win. And I for sure wasn't arguing. If your ever on Douglas Lake stop by for a beer.

Edited by ktrent

I would like to see more free board and a deeper v in the hull. More storage in the VLV would be nice. I like all the space in the G23.

• 3 weeks later...

Malibudude -- any update what the 2014 surfgate changes are? System/control changes, physical changes, or both? Can't wait...

Thanks

Getting close....

Well. . . . . . . we're waiting . . . .

Or did I miss it???

When I saw the big wigs last weekend (CEO and guy in charge of all sales) they did say there will be a few changes to some hulls. He would not say or slip what would be changed.

He did explain that there will be changes at: new model year, boat show time, and minor mid summer production. So they make changes 3 times a year pending on resorces and r&d.

I suspect your going to see some inner hulls changed to be like the MXZ, full fiberglass deck.

Just my 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope they don't do the 1 piece deck. It was one of the major reasons we decided not to go with an MXZ. Will find out soon though

I really hope they don't do the 1 piece deck. It was one of the major reasons we decided not to go with an MXZ. Will find out soon though

What is the down side to a 1 piece deck? Just curious

The only thing I wish they would do is make the transom seating like the MXZ and the 247.

I worked in the engine bay of an MXZ last weekend. If you work on your own boat or have any regard for the person who does, you don't want transom seating.

• Like 1

The only thing I wish they would do is make the transom seating like the MXZ and the 247.

If they do this I will never buy another malibu and I'm not joking. The locker opening and invasion of locker size from those stupid storage tubs in the MXZ has actually made me look into other boat manufacturers. If I might respectfully ask, why do you like this design and can I also ask if you ever wrench on the engine, either to winterize, change impellers / oil. Have you had to kneel down and work on the engine in an MXZ locker? I understand I have a strong opinion against them but don't take that to be that I'm disrespecting of your opinion. I seek to understand. This single picture shows all that I hate about the MXZ locker setup - tiny pizza box size hatch opening, tubs invading the rear of the compartment, gas strut completely blocking entry into compartment.

IMG_0293_zpscb24d022.jpg

If they do this I will never buy another malibu and I'm not joking. The locker opening and invasion of locker size from those stupid storage tubs in the MXZ has actually made me look into other boat manufacturers. If I might respectfully ask, why do you like this design and can I also ask if you ever wrench on the engine, either to winterize, change impellers / oil. Have you had to kneel down and work on the engine in an MXZ locker? I understand I have a strong opinion against them but don't take that to be that I'm disrespecting of your opinion. I seek to understand. This single picture shows all that I hate about the MXZ locker setup - tiny pizza box size hatch opening, tubs invading the rear of the compartment, gas strut completely blocking entry into compartment.

IMG_0293_zpscb24d022.jpg

That's the same strut deseign that's been used for about what, 13 years? Strut just pops off and the bins come out don't they? They're not permanent like centurion as I recall.

85, I see the hang up. I didn't mean anything inherent in the strut is the problem. It's the placement of the strut. This is the comparison on the G23 for instance, notice they dont block you climbing into the hatch. This is especially a sore topic for me because I've had a buddy bend mine crawling into it because he didn't understand what it was. Luckily JK13 here on the crew hooked me up with a replacement strut. I couldn't even pay him for it and he won't let me take him for a pull behind the boat so.. I'm forever in debt ;)

IMG_0328_zpsf2abf7a7.jpg

IMG_0293_zpscb24d022.jpg

From what I've heard they will be adding the transom seating to the new LSV. There are positives and negatives to it for sure. I personally like it, Are the openings smaller, yes, but I'm 6'1 and 240lbs and i can still crawl inside. The part I don't like is that you can't use 1100lbs sacks any longer.