Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Life Jacket Storage

BoBeLiTe

I constantly have problems storing life-jackets on my boat. We are constantly counting life-jackets to make sure we have enough. It seems like if I tie up I either loose a couple of jackets or gain a couple from other peoples boats. I try and keep up with it but it's really just a pain. I would like to have about 10 jackets stored compactly somewhere that nobody uses. Anyone have any ideas on some really compact jackets for tight places? Our Game and Fish agency had a life-jacket program and they gave away the inflatable belts. I was only able to get a couple of them last year. They actually let us count them as a coast guard approved Life-jacket even if we aren't wearing them. They are perfect but I can't find them online anywhere. I don't want to pay 100ea for inflatable jackets either. If anyone has any idea's or knows of any compact jackets I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

I have about 8 of the orange cheepies jammed into the storage under my front seats. I still have room for the rear anchor in the front center and my box goes under the filler cushion.

The ones we used in the gulf in the helo's would be perfect. Except they are very pricey.

Yeah, Right now I keep a bunch under the front seats... Anchor In front and bag box of 4 orange ones under the center cushion.. I've wanted to add some front ballast though and I wouldn't have room for the jackets.. Wish there was a way I could cram about 10 under that center cushion that I would never use and leave a few throughout the boat for people to use...

jkendallmsce

I constantly have problems storing life-jackets on my boat. We are constantly counting life-jackets to make sure we have enough. It seems like if I tie up I either loose a couple of jackets or gain a couple from other peoples boats. I try and keep up with it but it's really just a pain. I would like to have about 10 jackets stored compactly somewhere that nobody uses. Anyone have any ideas on some really compact jackets for tight places? Our Game and Fish agency had a life-jacket program and they gave away the inflatable belts. I was only able to get a couple of them last year. They actually let us count them as a coast guard approved Life-jacket even if we aren't wearing them. They are perfect but I can't find them online anywhere. I don't want to pay 100ea for inflatable jackets either. If anyone has any idea's or knows of any compact jackets I would appreciate the advice. Thanks

remember ya gotta have a throw cushion too. You can buy zippered bags with the cheapie orange vests,,,,or just wrap them in some plastic (to keep them organized and minimize the space they take up). Go look at Barts, West marine, or even ebay or amazon. the orange Coast Guard approved vests are cheap cheap. or heck even craigs list. folks give em away when they sell their boat.

Check with your local laws, here in Michigan you are supposed to have the jackets "out and accessible" as quoted to me by the DNR. Under a seat or in a box can still mean a ticket. But, your location might be different.

I use the inflatable belts for paddleboarding. Picked up a couple of them from Cabelas for a little over $40 each a couple summers ago.

As for storing them on the Malibu, I keep like 8 of the crappy nylon vests in the rear hatches. Then our good neoprene riding vests get hung up to dry in the garage. So part of our routine when we go out is to grab everyone's vests who is riding that day.

I've acquired other vests left on our boat. But I don't let mine get lost on other boats.

Check with your local laws, here in Michigan you are supposed to have the jackets "out and accessible" as quoted to me by the DNR. Under a seat or in a box can still mean a ticket. But, your location might be different.

TN is pretty laid back as long as you have them on the boat. I think the law says they have to be accessible.. so stored under seats is fine... The problem with putting them in the back of the boat is that everyone reaches back there and grabs whatever... I would just like to have some stored under my center cushion that aren't used for floating around... just emergency only.. 40 each isn't too bad.. I still think the ones TWRA gave out were cheaper than that and they count on your total.. Ten of the ones they give out wouldn't take up much room at all and I can keep them hidden.

I have 13 life jackets, all vests. Two good neoprene ones. One for each person the boat is capable of carrying. I store 6 under the bow seats and 5 under the dash on the port side. The rest(the good ones) I keep in the engine warming tray so they're nice and toasty when it's time to wakeboard. I've never lost any, never "acquired" any either. This works for me and also contains the water to the warming tray so the boat doesn't get soaked by the jacket after the session. In my area, as long as everyone knows where the jackets are, they can be out of sight.

Fleet farm has the orangies regularly on sale for $7 or less.

In MN they are supposed to be accessible but a locker that isn't locked is considered accessible. In a bag could be a problem depending on the officer.

Mine are, uh, not very accessible. :) In IL and in TX I have been stopped and no one has had a problem with them being under a cushion or in another closed space, but your local laws and their enforcers might be more strict.

I keep mine in the cubby under the glove box, but I have them shoved into the side wall so that we have more space. There is a small gap between the front side cushion and the part where the cupholders are and if you look carefully you can actually see a bit of orange in a small gap. :/

We usually have enough ski jackets in the rear locker for most people on board.

• 2 weeks later...

I use the inflatable belts for paddleboarding. Picked up a couple of them from Cabelas for a little over $40 each a couple summers ago.

As for storing them on the Malibu, I keep like 8 of the crappy nylon vests in the rear hatches. Then our good neoprene riding vests get hung up to dry in the garage. So part of our routine when we go out is to grab everyone's vests who is riding that day.

I've acquired other vests left on our boat. But I don't let mine get lost on other boats.

This /\ /\ /\

I make sure anyone new on the boat understands how expensive gear is; boards, skis, vests. And expect them to take care of them as they were their own. Also keeping a tighty boat helps keep your gear where it belongs.

I am thinking of adding a shelf above batteries in cubby under glove. Currently it seems a waste of space since the batteries take less than half the space. Anyone else do this?