Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LEAD WAKE Bags in the bow - PICS - 400lbs

NorrisMike

I recently received my Lead Wake bags and I am very impressed with the quality and quick shipping. I ordered Friday night, they shipped out on Saturday (from CA), and I already have them in my possession on Monday (in TN). Way to go USPS! Each bag weighed in between 50-51 lbs. The handles and nice and they have a nice layer of foam padding on the bottoms. They are fairly compact in size and I could fit them all in the bow with plenty of room to spare. I have yet to get out on the lake to try out the wake and move them around but I am sure I will be very pleased with the outcome. I plan to order an extra 2 bags to keep in the cabin to throw where ever I need them. Nice work Jared.

Here is what 400 lbs of lead looks like in the bow of a 2009 21' Vride using Lead Wake bags. I tried to brighten the pics to get a better look. I also placed a few items in there to give you an idea of the amount of space. I am glad I went this route as opposed to the factory tank install. More weight and more storage this way :surprised:

400lbs.jpg

400lbs2.jpg

Great idea for storage, I guess the only downfall is you have to tow around an extra 400 lbs of weight on the trailer, and on the water at all times. No way to dump the weight out. I have heard this is not a good thing for trailers, but maybe 400 would not make a difference? Nice storage area, that is one thing I dont care for in my VLX, no storage in the bow.

^^^^

I have 6 pop bags that go way up under the nose once on the water.

During trailering, all the bags go on the floor, on top of the stringers, over the axles of the trailer.

I would never keep that weight all the way forward in the boat when not in the water.

I haven't noticed any difference when towing. I think my SUV is rated for 9,000-10,000 lbs so it's well within the limits. It also levels itself out with airbags once i hook the trailer up to it. I currently only tow 2 miles so I don't bother with moving the bags from the nose but if I went on a trip I would move them back over the axles. Figure it's like pulling the boat out with 2 adults sitting in the bow. The question is - how much is too much tongue weight? Should I be moving the bags to the center? Do the larger 247's have more tongue weight or are their trailers balanced out? I wouldn't doubt there is 700 lbs of tongue weight with the bags in the place pictured above.....

DTB hope this helps. I had 2000 lbs of Pop-Products (approx 50 bags) in my old Tige. they cost me $40 a bag for 22 of them and they weighed 40 lbs, then accumulated about 28 more from friends that stopped riding and just gave them away. I never moved any of them around, just left them in their spot for about 2 years. When I pulled them all out, the steel shot was all rusted, the thin plastic inner liner had holes and they had disintegrated quite a bit. The few bags that we had used on the floor to move for wake adjustment were hammered pretty bad.

I got rid of all those and my new boat got all new Lead-wake bags. They are the same price, a dollar per pound, as the pop products. The Lead wake bags are considerably smaller AND weigh 10 lbs more. The lead wake bags are padded on the bottom and have thick canvas where the pop bags have vinyl bags that are noticeably thinner and have no padding. The pop handles are too long and are placed at the bag top. Lead wake bags have thicker, stronger handles and are real short, close to the bag. Plus they are placed on the broad, flat side of the bag (shown in the pictures above) This makes it easy to move in and out of the boat, as well as real easy to move around the floor of the boat to adjust the wake. the stiching on the lead wake bags are pretty heavy, I forget how they compare to the pop bags.

i have had my lead wake bags (13 of them) for a year now and love them... I highly recommend them (even at a %30 premium) and will never go back