Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

LEAD WAKE Bags in the bow - PICS - 400lbs

NorrisMike

I recently received my Lead Wake bags and I am very impressed with the quality and quick shipping. I ordered Friday night, they shipped out on Saturday (from CA), and I already have them in my possession on Monday (in TN). Way to go USPS! Each bag weighed in between 50-51 lbs. The handles and nice and they have a nice layer of foam padding on the bottoms. They are fairly compact in size and I could fit them all in the bow with plenty of room to spare. I have yet to get out on the lake to try out the wake and move them around but I am sure I will be very pleased with the outcome. I plan to order an extra 2 bags to keep in the cabin to throw where ever I need them. Nice work Jared.

Here is what 400 lbs of lead looks like in the bow of a 2009 21' Vride using Lead Wake bags. I tried to brighten the pics to get a better look. I also placed a few items in there to give you an idea of the amount of space. I am glad I went this route as opposed to the factory tank install. More weight and more storage this way :surprised:

400lbs.jpg

400lbs2.jpg

• Like 1

yep..... +1 for Lead-wake. I am a recent convert from pop-products. When I got my new boat, I wanted something better than the steel shot bags pop-products have. I have 13 bags in my boat = 650 lbs. I put 8 bags in the bow in the tips of the pickles, and 5 bags in the mid cab hidden in the storage.

I am very impressed with mine as well. They are about 40% smaller than the pop products because he uses lead as opposed to steel, and the design with the handle and thick vinyl and foam padding is great.

what are we waiting for? the boat to sink.... AAAhhhhhhh!!! lol. :)

Waiting for someone to warn us that lead in the boat is dangerous and not neutrally bouyant like water filled bags. Still waiting for it.........

Lead Wake should advertise on the internet. I cannot find them. I figured a good google search would do. Any information on them? I think google got bogged down with too many wakeworld threads to get to the manufacturer. Just curious how much they are, since I always thought the pop bags were stoopid costly.

Lead weight is dangerous!! But then again so is eating before swimming... Those look great. I think I like them better than Pop-Products. I recently just got a couple of buckets of Lead weights from a tire dealership. I have my own idea of adding lead weight to my boat. My plan is to take some PVC pipe and put a cap on one end. I then plan on taking the lead tire weights and crushing them up and pouring them in the pipe. By crushing them up I think I can get a more dense pack in the pipe. I then will cap it off and maybe paint. They should be pretty easy to move around the boat and give me a few hundred more pounds. It seams easier than melting it down into plates. Are those like plates in the lead wake bags?

Nicely done, Mike. Gotta love all that room in the bow left over for storage too!

400 lbs would be a lot in my hull. I usually run 320 up there & the bow rides a little low until the rest of the ballast is full. Not really a big deal. But was noticeable with a similar Vride parked next to mine at the time. I found I like to run about 40 - 80 lbs in the passenger side storage, just because the boat tends to lean to the right a bit while under way. Guess I should take that as a sign to lay off the burgers occasionally! ;)

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

Thanks! I might be pulling 100 or so lbs out and using it else where but I need to get out and try it first. I have a lot of playing around to do! I can't wait to find my "everyday riding" setup and my "serious air" setup and my surf setup settings. I have a pretty good idea on what it's going to look like but need to test it out. Lots of good info on this site! I posted this to give an idea of what another bow weight option looks like. I was in search a few weeks back and could have used some pics to make the decision easier. I was unsure how much storage I would have after putting lead in the bow and was on the fence to do the factory ballast or this. I am glad I went this route. I still have a good portion of space left over. I am storing my 2 extra 400 sacs, pump, anchor, exile bumpers, and whatever else I can think of up there!

These bags are filled with spent lead bullets.

Off to the plastics store! Time to make an over the v-drive storage tray! pics to follow of course...

Edited by NorrisMike

I recently received my Lead Wake bags and I am very impressed with the quality and quick shipping. I ordered Friday night, they shipped out on Saturday (from CA), and I already have them in my possession on Monday (in TN). Way to go USPS! Each bag weighed in between 50-51 lbs. The handles and nice and they have a nice layer of foam padding on the bottoms. They are fairly compact in size and I could fit them all in the bow with plenty of room to spare. I have yet to get out on the lake to try out the wake and move them around but I am sure I will be very pleased with the outcome. I plan to order an extra 2 bags to keep in the cabin to throw where ever I need them. Nice work Jared.

Here is what 400 lbs of lead looks like in the bow of a 2009 21' Vride using Lead Wake bags. I tried to brighten the pics to get a better look. I also placed a few items in there to give you an idea of the amount of space. I am glad I went this route as opposed to the factory tank install. More weight and more storage this way :surprised:

400lbs.jpg

400lbs2.jpg

Wish I would have known about it..... Do they have a website?

Those look real nice. I had the same hull as you and I think I ran factory ballast + 200lbs in the nose. Another 200lbs in the walkway, and another 160lbs in each rear compartment.

I've got pop bags myself, but still wish leadheadz was in business, their rubber coated bricks were the best lead alternative I've ever seen...

Pete... $50 for the 50 lbs bag plus shipping. I think he sells really small bags too, like 5 or 10 pounders that have a fold in the middle that you can drape over easy-up style canopies and anything else you need to weight down

Pete... $50 for the 50 lbs bag plus shipping. I think he sells really small bags too, like 5 or 10 pounders that have a fold in the middle that you can drape over easy-up style canopies and anything else you need to weight down

Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been speaking with Jared from Lead Wake over the past few days as I am considering buying some of his product. Jared has been extremely helpful in describing his product, process, pricing structure, etc. I can already recommend anyone looking for this type of ballast contact him as an option.

The reason for my post is to ask if anyone who has experience with both can make a comparison between Jareds Lead Wake bags and Pop Products bags. I realize one uses lead and the other steel, but I am looking for a real world comparison of construction quality, durability, size, and anything else you wish to mention. As I said, Jared has already offered exceptional customer service, and that goes a long way in my book, but the pricing is such that it looks like it will be about a 30% premium to go with Lead Wake over Pop Products once you factor in shipping.

Just looking for any additional advice before I make a decision. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Edited by dtb

I have had great experience communicating with Jared, and his product seems very well made. I ended up buying the bags/liners only from Pop Products as I have a source for weight to fill the bags. The Pop Product bags seem like they will hold up but, in my opinion, the Lead Wake bags appear to be better built. If I was going to purchase bags/weight together I would have gone with Lead Wake.