Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

For Identification experts

Interesting this topic popped up.Is there anywhere else these bolts and nuts could come from? I found 2 in my bilge throughout last season and cant find where they go.Ive got all 4 in the coupler and cant figure where they are missing from. 05 xti 220hrs.They are exactly the same as the ones pictured. Thanks

What about being left after assembly. Dropped and never found until Now?? Just a thought...

Interesting this topic popped up.Is there anywhere else these bolts and nuts could come from? I found 2 in my bilge throughout last season and cant find where they go.Ive got all 4 in the coupler and cant figure where they are missing from. 05 xti 220hrs.They are exactly the same as the ones pictured. Thanks

Everything look ok around your motor mounts? Altough 67 might be on to something.

Wow, I guess I need to hunt this down as well. I just pulled the exact same nut and bolt out of my bilge.

Although I can't be sure, I thought I checked the entire bilge area and it was clean prior to last season.

Edited by gmab

I'll have to check my motor mounts .When i found the first one it was early in the season and just the bolt ,i figured it was a leftover from assembly but then i found the 2nd bolt and a nut at the end of the season and it got me a little nervous.

Most likely a drive shaft bolt, many malibu's built in TN in 2006 and some of 2007 were built with the WRONG size coupler bolts. 3/8"x2" is wrong (too small), the holes on the v-drive and the shaft coupler actually need a 7/16" x 2" or 7/16"x2 1/4" bolt. depending which drive shaft coupler you have.

Malibu NEVER let this info out. but all boats built after 2007 are now using 7/16" bolts.

FYI

i am beginning to wonder if all of these 'found' bolts might be the 'wrong'(3/8") ones from when the factory first realized the problem and scurried around the grounds replacing with the 7/16" bolts?

• 1 month later...

Feed back.

You were right, a bolt was missing on my coupler!

I can't find the 7/16 here in france so i put it back with loctite.

But yes i think a wider bolt would be more appropriate, i'm working on finding one.

Thanx all