Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Boat - To Break-in or NOT Break-in?

MichLivin

Personally, I think it comes to down to using common sense, and dont abuse the boat for the first 10 hours. And most importantly, take it in for the 20 hour service to have all work performed by the dealer. These engines as others have mentioned get hammered by Indmar and Malibu during the test phases. I thought this was a good break-in recommendation:

0-6 hours, no towing allowed, fluctuate speed and very limited wide open throttle

6-8 hours, towing allowed with no ballast, or wedge

8-10 hours, towing allowed with no ballast and 1/4 wedge

10+ hours towing allowed with full ballast, wedge

I probably will not start surfing until I hit the 15 hour mark.

When I demo'd the dealers VLX, we were driving the boat like we stole it.... wide open throttle, loading ballast up, using the wedge, he even brought out 400 extra lbs of bags to check out the surf wake.... this happens with every boat when they are demo'd by customers.

Just my thoughts..... I am by no means an expert, but I did the same break-in on my last boat, and after 230 hours motor was in perfect condition.

I like your break-in procedure, I will probably follow your thoughts. Well thought out if you ask me. Thanks for your feedback.

Personally, I think it comes to down to using common sense, and dont abuse the boat for the first 10 hours. And most importantly, take it in for the 20 hour service to have all work performed by the dealer. These engines as others have mentioned get hammered by Indmar and Malibu during the test phases. I thought this was a good break-in recommendation:

0-6 hours, no towing allowed, fluctuate speed and very limited wide open throttle

6-8 hours, towing allowed with no ballast, or wedge

8-10 hours, towing allowed with no ballast and 1/4 wedge

10+ hours towing allowed with full ballast, wedge

I probably will not start surfing until I hit the 15 hour mark.

When I demo'd the dealers VLX, we were driving the boat like we stole it.... wide open throttle, loading ballast up, using the wedge, he even brought out 400 extra lbs of bags to check out the surf wake.... this happens with every boat when they are demo'd by customers.

Just my thoughts..... I am by no means an expert, but I did the same break-in on my last boat, and after 230 hours motor was in perfect condition.

I like your break-in procedure, I will probably follow your thoughts. Well thought out if you ask me. Thanks for your feedback.

The worst thing for a new motor in a car is just idling along or cruising along the freeway.

You gotta load those rings baby!! Just don't go near the limiter, don't flog it when cold and don't go WOT for any length of time.

My current car has an LS3 in it. I drove that baby hard from day one. Just with some common sense. Oh and I did my first oil change at 2000km (1200mi). I think an early oil and filter change is more important than driving easy.

In a boat the engine will be working somewhat harder than a car cruising along so I can see the validity in avoiding ballast and towing early on. But I would be chucking in a few 3/4 throttle to planning starts and back again into the first outing that's for sure.

I guess the only problem here is if something goes wrong and the dealer asks if you follow the break in recommendations in the manual you will have to answer.....

.....and then is he happens to be following this thread.....

I guess the only problem here is if something goes wrong and the dealer asks if you follow the break in recommendations in the manual you will have to answer.....

What I describes is pretty close to the Indmar break-in guidelines in there manual.

First thing manual states is "use a little common sense".... and for first 10 hours...

-Let engine warm up

-No heavy load ups

-No ballast tanks for 10 hrs

-Vary speeds

-Check all fluids periodically

-Observe gauges

-Report any abnormal vibrations or noises to dealer

For first hour: Do not exceed 2000 RPMs, second hour do not exceed 3000 RPMs, next five hours do not exceed 4000 RPM's....

hmmm, kind of funny because Malibu from the lake test run has already broke every rule they have listed :)

• 2 weeks later...

ok , after the first 1 hours under 2000rpm,2nd hour under 3000 rpm, and next 5 hours under 4000 rpm, can you tow /pull someone before 15-20 hours service ?? if you dont use ballast's and wedge before 10 hours...

So how is a dealer going to deny a warranty claim for an engine problem due to a perceived deviation from the "recommended break in" procedure? If you have a catastrophic engine failure, it wasn't assembled properly, engine break in has nothing to do with it.

The only things actually being "broken in" in an engine are the rings. Rings seat better with more cylinder pressure, meaning if you run it harder they will seat sooner with less blow-by. However with modern materials and processes rings will seat pretty much no matter how you drive it. See the dealers and manufacturers “driving it like they stole it” for example. If the rings don't seat during normal use then the cylinder walls were not bored or honed properly, or the rings were not gapped properly, which are again assembly issues and not break in related at all.

The drivetrain however could probably use some break in before seeing a real heavy load. The contact surfaces of the gears in the drivetrain sometimes need some wearing-in time to decrease stresses from point loading. This is similar to the rear differential in a truck needing some break in time before loading it up with a heavy load. So it is probably a good idea not to load up 5000lbs of ballast the first time you take the boat out. However saying you shouldn't tow anything for the first 20 hours is a bit silly considering the amount of load the drivetrain already sees just to get the boat up on plane the very first time you drive it.

As a few people mentioned just don't let a brand new engine sit and idle for long periods of time. Vary the speed and load on the engine for the first few hours to help the rings seat properly and you are all good.

Edited by Brett B