Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need a 2nd and 3rd copy of boat key

lewistonskier

Hi all, I'm a new boat owner, and have already recieved some great advice from many of you. My latest question: when we bought the boat, we were only given one copy, but when we went to Home Depot and the local hardware store, they didn't have the same fome that Malibu apparently used in 1986. Would a Malibu dealership have the form so that I could have a couple copys made?

2nd question: One of my transome straps broke my first time out. Where would be the best place to get a replacement?

3rd question: Our boat feels as if it goes a little fast when first put into gear. Will adjusting the idle slow it down, or is it just something we have to get used to?

Well, don't know about your 86, but on my 01 I had the same luck with the key and found one at a local marina, but not a necessarily a Malibu dealer. My key has a black plastic covering on the end. You can pop that off with a small screwdriver and a key number will be visible. Turns out the same keys are used for Bayliners because that's the dealer just down the road from me. All they do is give you a key with the same number and it works. They didn't even have to cut it. So that to me says there's not a heck of a lot of different key cuts out there in the world if I can walk into a Bayliner dealer and they have my exact key in stock already cut for me.

Transome tie down? Any marine dealer or store with a boating department (walmart) will have those.

Since prop speed is directly related to engine speed, yes reducing idle will slow the boat down. But you don't want to go so slow that the motor barely turns over. I think my idle speed is 600 rpm. Not sure where a carb motor runs but I wouldn't want it much lower than that.

Hi all, I'm a new boat owner, and have already recieved some great advice from many of you. My latest question: when we bought the boat, we were only given one copy, but when we went to Home Depot and the local hardware store, they didn't have the same fome that Malibu apparently used in 1986. Would a Malibu dealership have the form so that I could have a couple copys made? Try your local lock smith, we get all kinds of heavy equipment keys made at our lock smith sometimes they order and we wait a week or 2. Or try Malibu.

2nd question: One of my transome straps broke my first time out. Where would be the best place to get a replacement? Like Vette-ski said, any boat dealer.

3rd question: Our boat feels as if it goes a little fast when first put into gear. Will adjusting the idle slow it down, or is it just something we have to get used to? Set the recommended RPM, if your too low it may die when you put it in gear. If it's killing the engine at recommended RPM then you may need some carb tunning and possibly a timing adjustment and dwell adj if you run points. In other words, a good tune up.

1) We got our spare keys made at Lowes. I had to pop off the plastic logo, but once I did, they had no problem finding the blank.

2) Straps are pretty available anywhere - Walmart, any boat dealer or fishing store.

3) Most inboards move around 4-5 MPH in gear. If you're at 600-650RPM in gear at idle, you'll just have to get used to it or putting in/out of gear. You have much more steering when in gear vs out.

Since prop speed is directly related to engine speed, yes reducing idle will slow the boat down. But you don't want to go so slow that the motor barely turns over. I think my idle speed is 600 rpm. Not sure where a carb motor runs but I wouldn't want it much lower than that.

Thanks for the rpm number. When we went out today, it was ideling at about 1000 rpms. I turned it down to 600 and trailering and docking went much, much better. Thumbup.gif

my 89 sunsetter runs about 650 rpms at idle...it purrrrs like a kitten.

a couple weeks ago I put in new plugs, wires, rotor and cap (i bought the boat last year -not sure when they were last replaced) it really runs smooth now!

good luck!