Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Hoist

Delta12250

For those of you who have your bu on a boat hoist what is a good brand to look at? Shore Master, Shore Station?

Are there special loading bunks that have to be ordered for a v drive?

Sunscape 20 LSV is listed at 3200 pounds. Is a 4000 pound hoist enough with fuel and equipment?

For those of you who have your bu on a boat hoist what is a good brand to look at? Shore Master, Shore Station?

Are there special loading bunks that have to be ordered for a v drive?

Sunscape 20 LSV is listed at 3200 pounds. Is a 4000 pound hoist enough with fuel and equipment?

That's a huge can of worms, and opinons will definitely vary. Here's mine. There are many, many boat lifts on our lake of varying manufacture. Four of the major boat lift mfgrs are here in Minnesota (Pier Pleasure, Floe, Hewitt, and ShoreMaster), and Shore Station is just across the border in Iowa. Within a half-mile up or down the shore from my dock, there are 8 different boat lift manufacturers represented. Boat lift quality and reliability is definitely the kind of thing that gets talked about at neighborhood barbecues.

Shore Station - Very well made, but I think is has some design flaws. I don't like the horizontal bar - it makes getting into the boat cumbersome. Also, their canopy is too shallow so the boat won't tuck up under to any degree and the sides are not as protected from sun or less-than-vertical rain as some other lifts. Also, the rings that act as guides for the vertical bunk can definitely bind if the bunk is even a little bit off-level or if the lift itself isn't.

I think that Pier Pleasure or Floe make the best thought-out and reliable lifts. Floe in particular has some really innovative features, but it is very spendy by comparison and I don't think it's worth the money compared to a Pier Pleasure. Pier Pleasure has a much better warranty on the frame and structure and is better made than ShoreMaster or Hewitt.

There are some other boat lifts that are really good, but mostly even more expensive. Sunstream, for example is top-quality and very slick, although the canopy is even shallower than ShoreStation's. Anyway, the choice is going to ultimately depend a lot on how much you want to spend, and special features that you need/want, such as canopy, ease of leveling, water depth, water depth varibility, floating vs vertical vs cantilever. Good luck with your choice.

Edited by Big Mac

Oh..bunks. No difference between V-drive or direct-drive, but definitely special considerations for inboard vs I/O.

Inboard needs full-length bunks. Also, they don't need (can't use) a motor-stop because they won't work.

full-vbunks.jpg

Inboards also should have (IMHO) a means of keeping the boat from going too far forward in the bunks to prevent the possibility of lifting the cradle on the shaft, strut or prop. Usually, this means you need a Bow Stop of some kind.

Accs_3.gif

Edited by Big Mac

I have a Shore Station with the solar charging, battery powered, remote control motor. It works great and the remote is super convenient. I didn't really have much of a choice nearby, so I didn't really shop around at all. As Big Mac said, the canopy isn't very deep, so if you want your boat with a tower really tucked up, you need to collapse the tower. I cover my boat with a Covercrafts and move it up as far as I can and it does just fine. I do have a bow stop as well, but I never hit it. I use a landmark next to me to know how far to pull up. Other than the canopy depth, I've been pretty happy with the lift.

I agree with Big Mac that the canopy on the Shore Station lift is too shallow. That is why I have the Shore Station lift with the Pier Pleasure canopy. I like the Shore Station better for the mechanics and reliability. A friend has a Pier Pleasure lift and has had all sorts of problems with the clutch or brake that stops the wheel from going backwards. I am using a 4000 pound lift for a response lxi, if the boat is fully loaded with gas and people I want to make sure the lift is going to handle it.

I have a Floe VSD lift that I am very happy with. The Floe's have some really nice design features. The absolute best is the leg adjustment. On each leg there is an adjustment bolt above the waterline. You use a socket hooked to a cordless drill to then raise/lower each leg so that you can really get the lift perfectly level. No pins and diving under trying to line things up. Also my lift uses a ball screw and electric motor to raise/lower which is powered by 2-12 volt batteries (24 volt system). The canopy is also nice and deep. The lift also seems to be very well made. They are pricey but I figured it was likely something that would last 15-20 years.

I agree with Big Mac that the canopy on the Shore Station lift is too shallow. That is why I have the Shore Station lift with the Pier Pleasure canopy. I like the Shore Station better for the mechanics and reliability. A friend has a Pier Pleasure lift and has had all sorts of problems with the clutch or brake that stops the wheel from going backwards. I am using a 4000 pound lift for a response lxi, if the boat is fully loaded with gas and people I want to make sure the lift is going to handle it.

That's surprising. Pier Pleasure's typical reaction to that would be to have the dealer go out and replace the whole mechanism. My lift is 10 years old. Two years ago Pier Pleasure had an upgrade - changing out the bunk pullies to some with a grease zerk in it. They weren't failing, but people were complaining about squeaking. The dealer called me to tell me that (the lift was 7 years old) and he came out and replaced them at no charge.

My neighbor has a Shore Station. They're very well built, but he has had recurring problems with the lift guides binding and breaking.

While I can't speak to the repair cost of other brands, replacing cables on a ShoreStation vertical lift is a very spendy proposition. I had my main cable break last year and they insisted I need to replace the entire lift tube assembly ($800). Then to be safe this year I replaced the remaining two cables at $244 for the pair. This did not include mountain hardware.

While I can't speak to the repair cost of other brands, replacing cables on a ShoreStation vertical lift is a very spendy proposition. I had my main cable break last year and they insisted I need to replace the entire lift tube assembly ($800). Then to be safe this year I replaced the remaining two cables at $244 for the pair. This did not include mountain hardware.

I just bought a replacement 5/8 inch stainless steel main lift cable for my Pier pleasure ($87) because I see that I have some broken strands on my current one after 10 years. Pier Pleasure said I don't have to replace it - it should be fine - but I want the spare around just in case. If I get a day where I'm bored, I may just preemptively replace it. It appears to be pretty straightforward to do. I have a leveling winch/jack that will work great to lift just the bunk and get that cable installed.

thmb_1126.jpg

If your in Michigan I have had a Midlander for 12 years no problems at all. I did replace the cables two years ago. I like the vertical lift for speed and ability to get the boat out of the water. The boat tucks up under the canopy very well. The floe is a very nice looking lift. Get one with a higher weight capacity than you need. If you get a bigger boat some day or have a big load in your boat you won't need to weary.

You need to get the bunk lifts to clear youd tracking fins and prop shaft. I also added longer legs to mine as the shor line drops very quick my deep legs are at 6' shallow 1' Thumbup.gif

A pier pleasure vertical lift with hydraulics would be my choice. I have a direct drive system where the crank wheel is replaced by a drive chain and electric motor. Works great but noisy. Hydraulic is a lot quieter. Run it off a deep cycle battery and hook up a solar battery charger and you're set. Cranking by hand is not fun. Power is better.

A pier pleasure vertical lift with hydraulics would be my choice. I have a direct drive system where the crank wheel is replaced by a drive chain and electric motor. Works great but noisy. Hydraulic is a lot quieter. Run it off a deep cycle battery and hook up a solar battery charger and you're set. Cranking by hand is not fun. Power is better.

IIRC, the hydraulic lift system on a Pier Pleasure adds about $3500+ to the cost of the lift, whereas the Shore Commander lift motor can be had for less than $1000, and easily added later if desired. I agree, a lift motor is VERY nice to have but rather than buying a Pier Pleasure with hydraulics, I'd spend the same money on a Floe, which is faster uses a screw drive. The PP hydraulic mechanism is only minimally faster than the Shore Commander lift motor. I have a Shore Commander that I added last year to my 10 year old Pier Pleasure and it works great. Simple, 30 minute install. I don't find it to be very noisy at all (I did remove the ratchet mechanism as they suggested). After I added that lift motor, I had a question about supply voltage, so I went to call the company that makes the Shore Commander. As I was looking up the number on the manual, I noted that it was the same area code and prefix as my home number, and when I called, I found out that that company is not only located right across the lake from me, but is owned by a guy I used to ride to Sturgis with every year. I get outstanding customer service right on my dock ;) .

Edited by Big Mac

While I dont' live right across the lake from the Shore Commander guys, I agree that they provide excellent support when needed. I really like my Shore Commander drive on my 13 year old Shore Station Lift. I actually purchased this as a refurbished unit and have had no problems in three years of use.

My direct drive system was only a couple hundred $. Basically a starter motor hooked to a drive chain. The ratchet mechanism is still in place and that is why it is noisy. The guy next to me has a hydraulic floe and it's super quiet. I looked at adding hydraulic (aftermarket) instead of the direct drive and I don't remember it being nearly that much $. I didn't realize it was that much quieter. I picked direct drive because it's a lot simpler.

This is my first lift and I went with Floe. The lift motor runs off of a couple of 12 volt batteries and I added a couple of inexpensive trickle chargers. It sits on wheels so I can move it around and as was pointed out has legs that are easy to adjust. The canopy is deep and seems to cover tower and boat rather well. I went with a 24' canopy for a 21.5' boat. Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/goknightro/MalibuAndDock

I just installed and used for the first time this HarborMaster Elite (manufactured in of Michigan)

Crew member Boatman has one as well and turned me onto them. They have a patened design because it's not a canteliver hoist and not a verticle. One stainless steel cable that is 25" and can be changed in about 10 minutes. Canaopy is solid and deep, installs pretty easily and can pull in and store with the tower up. Thumbup.gif

I have a 4,000lb version I believe they currently go upto 6,000.

Edited by Bill W

Well I am am (or was) about to buy a Floe. The Floe lift looks great, is quiet, moves up and down fast, the leg adjustments with a cordless drill is awesome. However my 23' wakesetter XTI has a 100-inch beam. The 5000 pound flow has a maximum of a 103.5 inch beam (measured at the dealer).

So would you buy a boat lift with 1.5 inches of room on each side to sqeeze in?

HELP!

With the 7500 pound lift you get a few extra inches, but cost lots more money.

How good are you at close quarters maneuvering? Ever have any wind or current where the lift will be? Be a stud, go for it! But then, you will be the only one allowed to dock or launch it. Work for you?

Well I am am (or was) about to buy a Floe. The Floe lift looks great, is quiet, moves up and down fast, the leg adjustments with a cordless drill is awesome. However my 23' wakesetter XTI has a 100-inch beam. The 5000 pound flow has a maximum of a 103.5 inch beam (measured at the dealer).

So would you buy a boat lift with 1.5 inches of room on each side to sqeeze in?

HELP!

With the 7500 pound lift you get a few extra inches, but cost lots more money.

\

That measurement is between the vertical boat guides on the bunk (if they're installed). Your beam measurement is at the widest point of the boat. I have my vertical guides intentionally set to give me about 3 inches of total clearance as the max beam goes past the rear guides and I have had no trouble. My front guides are set so that they just barely touch the rub rail when the boat is parked properly.

If you're worried about it, you could save some money over the Floe (I think) and get the Pier Pleasure 5000# lift which you can have in a 120-inch beam width, but I suspect that if you do, you'll end up setting the front guides so that they barely touch the rub rail at the front with the boat parked (which will be narrower than your boat's beam), and the rear guides only wide enough to barely clear the rub rail at max beam. IOW, I'll bet you end up setting the rear guides to have about 1.5 inches (or less) of clearance on each side anyway, no matter how wide the actual lift is.

If you set the guides wider than that, somebody's going to have to be in the and hold it centered in the lift while the bunk is raised. IMHO, the vertical guides are for parking, not guiding it in.

Edited by Big Mac
I just installed and used for the first time this HarborMaster Elite (manufactured in of Michigan)

Crew member Boatman has one as well and turned me onto them. They have a patened design because it's not a canteliver hoist and not a verticle. One stainless steel cable that is 25" and can be changed in about 10 minutes. Canaopy is solid and deep, installs pretty easily and can pull in and store with the tower up. Thumbup.gif

I have a 4,000lb version I believe they currently go upto 6,000.

I bought my Harbor Master in 1998 and havn't had a single problem with it . Still has the original cable. Our lake is 268 acres and there are probably at least 10-15 of these here. You owe it to yourself to at least look at one of these great lifts. BIll W. did and he sounds happy! Clap.gif