Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2012 TXI prop for slalom

Probably @ahopkinsVTX and I apologize for not doing my research. My current 2012 TXI has a 525 Acme on it.  Does anyone recommend or tried anything else that is known to improve wake characteristics for 34mph Slalom (wife skies at 33mph)?  Boat is used 95% slalom and 5% barefoot.  Thanks for input in advance.

We ran the ACME 515, 5.7l Monsoon 350ss would top out at about 43.5mph on ZO GPS. 

I gotta ask though, what do you not like about the wake? The first gen TXi is still one of the best wakes I have skied. During our ownership I was skiing at 32mph -15 and worked my way up all the way to 36mph -28 so I had a very good understand of how the wake is pretty much everywhere and had zero complaints. Owning that boat was a huge factor in my improvement because the pull was solid and consistent and the wake had zero impact in my skiing.

@Bruises:  Altitude will be a key element in your prop selection, particularly if you need to get up to speed quickly as in a short setup for a ski course as an example.  Barefoot use will also be a factor just for needed speed.  The 515 is the standard and will drop your engine speed to boat speed ratio roughly 100-150 RPM and the 515 is the standard prop for standard or non high altitude applications.  Just an FYI - I went from the 515 to a 449 on my boat and it softened the table a bit and dropped engine speed by 200 RPM.  There is a prop selector tab on the Acme website, use that as a guide for selecting best prop for your boat.

A few suggestions w/o knowing how you set up your boat to optimize your wake:  lighten the boat as much as possible, particularly at the transom.  Run the fuel level as low as you can for slalom, not a big deal for footing.  Move any extra stuff away and out of the transom area and put up front or on the dock.  Make sure the boat is balanced side to side so you have a symmetric wake, you can do it using some ballast on the port side or in the nose (several owner suggestions to put 50# in the nose to improve the wake so that is a good experiment for you).

As @ahopkinsVTX asks, what are your wake issues?  The TXI is right on par with the best available ski boats on the market.  Speed, line lengths used boat loading need to be in your answer as they are critical items to understand you wake concerns.  

• Like 1

@ahopkinsVTX, @WoodskiI will admit the wake at 34mph -15 is not bad but to me it feels a little bigger than it should.  We are free-skiers(no local course) and don't want to be chasing bouys(nothing wrong with that, I get the addiction),  it is our exercise and love of H2O. 

So here is the set up: Altitude 815 ft, back seat out, 5 gallons of gas in tank, no passenger, barefoot boom is counter weight (can't stand unless perfectly level boat) -15, HO Hyperlite CX 67. One thing I forgot to mention is the Tower (I know). We do seldomly pull kids wakeboarding, kneeboarding and love the size of the Bimini and slalom racks.

I'll get you both an update soon,  I just ordered a 449 ACME this a.m. and am out skiing behind the 91 Comp (without tower or bimini, and old school speed control).

Thanks for helping me dial in a wake.  Will try 50# up front.

In the last year of owning our TXi I actually ran 150lbs of lead in the bow. Or 100 on the passenger seat and 50 in the bow passenger seat for offset weight if there were only two of us. To be honest I didn’t see a huge change or any change in the wake but the boat definitely tracked amazingly. 

So I'm seeing three things being discussed in the mix of this thread:

• Wake shape due to prop
  • Pull / feel behind the boat
  • Wake shape due to balancing / ballast

Wake Shape Due to Prop - I have a hard time believing that anyone could notice the difference in the wake between the 449, 515 and 525.   If that's all your after don't bother with a prop change.

Pull - I could see switching props helping make the pull harder or softer, but your ZO settings will have a more noticeable impact than going to a 449 or 515.  Switch to trick mode or upgrade to rev S and use a plus setting to see what I mean and experiment from there.  Only bother with a prop change if you are dealing with altitude issues, short setups or need to get your RPMs right at WOT.

Wake Shape Due to Balancing - Ballast is where it's at.  I also run 3*50# of ballast and move it around depending on who is in the boat for the day.  This is the biggest thing to focus on IMO.  An unbalanced boat is going to wreak havoc w/ the table.

My $.02.

Mike

Edited by mlange