67King

Muffler delete - silicone hose purpose?

67King

Installed teh FAE on my boat, and having read a bit about other experiences, I'm going to delete teh muffler, too.  I've built a few exhaust systems for my race cars, so I'll just fab up some pipes from some mandrel bends.  Had thought about replacing the long silicone hose between the muffler and the tailpipe as part of the system, but then I got wondering.  Anyone know if there is a reason for such a LONG piece of silicone instead of exhaust pipe?  I am at this point guessing it may be related to keeping the temperature down, but I don't know.  Does anyone?   Need to order the bends, so I"m wondering how much to order.....

granddaddy55

I think some folks from previous posts have been using ABS (was temp but supposedly it has heat properties and they left it from last  season and this season I think) and the silicone is to start system  by grabbing the CAT 1st , maybe it's flexibility and the ability to clamp it at CAT and muffler is reason  for it so it can still do that purpose, snd with ABS you have 22s and 45s and 90s street and other to make your path 

Edited by granddaddy55

mackie12

agree with @granddaddy55, the flex between the two points might be a bit much for a fixed exhaust.

Woodski

@67King:  I would guess that an overly long silicone / rubber hose would really be an assembly (time) or cost related reason rather than a technical reason.  You want flexible joints along the path for both alignment and vibration but the flexible pipe does not need to be excessively long.  Rubber does offer a bit more sound deadening that a stainless / fiberglass pipe.  It is interesting to watch how much a rubber pipe pulsates when the engine is running at a decent clip. 

67King
15 minutes ago, Woodski said:

@67King:  I would guess that an overly long silicone / rubber hose would really be an assembly (time) or cost related reason rather than a technical reason.  You want flexible joints along the path for both alignment and vibration but the flexible pipe does not need to be excessively long.  Rubber does offer a bit more sound deadening that a stainless / fiberglass pipe.  It is interesting to watch how much a rubber pipe pulsates when the engine is running at a decent clip. 

It is also less expensive than stainless would be.  I took out the muffler, I think I can do thiis with a single 45 on each side, but I had something come up and can't mess with it right now.  I guess the exhaust is sufficiently cool byy the time it gets to the muffler that metal pipes are not necessary.

Woodski

@67King:  The temperature of the exhaust / water mix a relatively short distance past the exhaust manifold is cool enough that high temp materials are not required, hence mufflers are fiberglass and the hose is rubber.

Michigan boarder

I've got silicone right off of my manifolds, no problem at all.  They are WAY easier to install/manipulate than a hard rubber hose.2016_engine_pic_2.thumb.jpg.53c207ea0bd077255e754b9d91c3041e.jpg

UWSkier
6 hours ago, Michigan boarder said:

I've got silicone right off of my manifolds, no problem at all.  They are WAY easier to install/manipulate than a hard rubber hose.2016_engine_pic_2.thumb.jpg.53c207ea0bd077255e754b9d91c3041e.jpg

Crazy you managed to fit a v-drive muffler under your motor box.  What's the blower vent tubing for?

Michigan boarder
On 9/11/2018 at 6:56 PM, UWSkier said:

Crazy you managed to fit a v-drive muffler under your motor box.  What's the blower vent tubing for?

That is actually the factory muffler for the Echelon, but I removed all of the guts inside of it so it's just a hollow tube.  It's just enough to reduce some noise by eliminating some line of sight travel and also allow for exhaust scavenging by connecting the two sides.

That is also the factory location for the blower and tubing.

Woodski

@UWSkier:  MB's muffler is also known as a 'silent rider' muffler, at least in it's original, baffled configuration.  The ski boats equipped with them are very quiet compared to the in line muffler ones.  Usually offered as an option and good for those that like the sunrise ski sets. 

UWSkier
2 hours ago, Woodski said:

@UWSkier:  MB's muffler is also known as a 'silent rider' muffler, at least in it's original, baffled configuration.  The ski boats equipped with them are very quiet compared to the in line muffler ones.  Usually offered as an option and good for those that like the sunrise ski sets. 

I know.  My dad's VLX has one.  It's a nice sound.  Was just surprised to see one fit under doghouse.  Don't think I could do that on the Monsoon without relocating the ECM.